Lee Wallace

Camshy

4 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Aye we had a real battle on our hands to sign him ahead of some top Championship clubs eh. :duh: 

We were the biggest and best he was ever going to do. Punching well above his weight. 

Biggest aye, obviously. Best? Depends on your definition of 'best'. If shite like McCabe and Whittaker got picked up by decent clubs he would have easily.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Wallace is in the same bracket as the likes of Waggy and Tavernier. Looked oustanding at lower league/championship level where his fit ess was head and shoulders above the opponents but he is average in the prem. 

I thought he was average last season for the majority even before bis injury but he gets away with much more from the fans due to his loyalty. 

1 hour ago, Frank Harrison said:

What the actual fuck :lol:

He was coming off the back of a £1.5m move, was in and around the national squad and very highly rated with most of his career ahead of him. He could have easily found a decent team down south.

Wrong

we offered £300k for him then £1million then £1.5 million  - that escalated quickly because Wolves were sniffing about him - that's WOLVES not Man City - Wolves that team that have won fuck all twice in modern times

he hadn't played for Scotland for nearly a season and a half due to his cruciate. He continues to curry favour because he liked his contract with us and knew he would struggle to get that elsewhere imo. 

Footballing wise - he STILL lets players in behind, is over reliant on one leg and never gets his shorts dirty. 

Squad player st best imo 

When Wallace got made captain he stepped it up a bit and I have to give him that credit.

Here's the problems for me though;

• For a left back the bread and butter is defending and for the bulk of his time in a jersey he regularly seems to be at the wrong end of the park or nowhere near where he should be when we're in bother.
  • He wasn't a captain to begin with and as time goes on and the team improves he'll take the captaincy towards irrelevance like his presence.
  • More than anything, he's not good enough - he can get away with it if he's having a good attacking game or the teams so bad he looks good or the team is so good it masks that he isn't BUT for where we need to be is he of that level? You could say (rightfully) that others including new signings aren't as well and fair enough but we're talking about Wallace, unless he can bring his war face every week he's going to fade away in time like plenty of others hovering about the now.

For me he's done what was asked of him for the past 4 years. Decent enough captain in the lower leagues and consummate professional. But now we need to move on and make the captain someone whos been there done it at a much higher level, regardless of how long he's been here. Length of service should never equal automatic captaincy. Alves for me is an easy choice.

It's Kenny for Captain for me, acts like one even when he doesn't have the arm band, don't really see any encouragement to the team from Wallace when he's on, infact iv seen more from Rossiter which impressed me considering his age 

On 7/1/2017 at 0:26 AM, ForeverBlue1872 said:

I've always liked Wallace but he looks shit from that game. I'm not sure how much we can take from that, with it being our first competitive match, but he didn't look good.

Not just saying this, but since day 1, I've never been particularly impressed by him as a player. Decidedly average at best.

Lee Wallace is an honest professional who was loyal to this club during a period when many so called "Rangers men" saw fit to put their own wallets first and abandon us.  Wallace sacrificed his international career and best playing days to help us work up the divisions.  Wallace could've easily left us and went down South for an easier time and better pay, but he didn't.  He stuck by us and for that he will always have my thanks and respect.

For me, a Rangers player needs to meet at least two of the following criteria to be considered a legend.

1 - Spend a lengthy time at the club.

2 - Win a considerable amount of silverware for the club.

3 - Be an exceptional player in their own right.

IMO Wallace can only be said to meet the standards of number 1, and for that he's not a legend.

As far as I'm concerned he is a club legend having stuck by us through all the dark times even when it probably wasn't the best option for his career. I look forward to seeing how he does in a team where he will (hopefully) have a higher standard of players around him than he has had in previous years. 

Yes he stuck by us when all the others were deserting, that is known and a given but that is not any validation of his ability on the pitch or his captaincy.

On Captain I would remove it instantly and give it to someone else, would not suggest Kenny although he is a big figure in the club I prefer my Captains to be midfielders or Defenders to control those in front, therefore big Bruno fits the bill for me unless he suddenly got shit in the last international duty he is doing, which I doubt. Our SDW lasted into his forties as a centre half and i see no reason why the big fellah can't be head and shoulders about anyone else commanding wise either (bit like Clint Hill was last year, he seemed to always be telling people what to do or I imagined it). The only barrier may be language but we can easily teach him "Get into the fucker yah wee bam and if that ball comes down here I am nutting you!".

The main aspect is his football, is it good enough to be a "flying" left back overlapping the winger on the left while being able to track back when required? Stamina wise I believe he is as he runs all day as far as I can tell but I doubt he can co-ordinate with a winger properly and seems to want to bomb forward even when our right back does which is not a good balance (still may be unfair here as he is playing with Barrie who is a one trick inside pony as we all know). I wonder at times about some of his challenges and positional sense but hell I am no pro but people do seem to get past him regularly when they want.

While I don't think Wallace is anywhere near a footballer like Numan I don't think he is that bad. Playing in a defence with Hill, Kiernan, Senderos, Wilson, and to an extent Tavernier is never gonna make you look good.