Formations

steven33jackie

For me we have to try 3:5:2 I shudder at the thought of Declan John at full back if Wallace is injured.

Tonight both centre backs were dragged out of position to cover for our full backs. Why not play in a formation that allows for attacking wing backs. I think this would also lend towards a midfield including Rossiter and allow Dorrans for freedom in the forward position. 

10 minutes ago, steven33jackie said:

For me we have to try 3:5:2 I shudder at the thought of Declan John at full back if Wallace is injured.

Tonight both centre backs were dragged out of position to cover for our full backs. Why not play in a formation that allows for attacking wing backs. I think this would also lend towards a midfield including Rossiter and allow Dorrans for freedom in the forward position. 

I've thought that for a few weeks because most teams are putting three in the middle against our two and we're not controlling the ball. Won't happen next weekend, he won't tinker and the team that started tonight (if all fit) will start against "them"

If im honest the issue i have with the team isnt really exclusive to the formation, but does anyone else think we dont press the ball enough in the middle of the park? I feel we are very stand offish and we let oposition players get comfy on the ball at times. Ive noticed this even at ibrox. I hate mentioning the ghouls from the eastend but when you see them, their opposition dont get a second on the ball. 

I could play professional football if no one pressured me fs. The good players handle pressure and shite ones dont, and the SPFL has more shite than good. Just a thought.

Just now, cushynumber said:

Declan was worse.  Kept loosing the ball and being way out of position. If I was Bruno,  I would have lamped him

I'm not arguing about who was worse, although I give declan (fuck i hate that name) a break for being new and young in comparison to tav, but if tav is making runs like he did tonight and we give the ball away like we did then we are fucked. 

3-5-2 is a formation I've championed for many years now.  I think it's the route we should be going in now more than ever.  We wont beat celtic playing with it on the deck while their budget is significantly more than ours.  We should go for big physical players who dominate in the air and flood their box each time we get a corner or free-kick.  I've seen this work before, we all have, and I'd like to see how celtic and every other team in this league would cope coming up against a side like that. 

Dick Advocaat's team was the best I've ever seen in terms of playing football on the deck but it just couldn't cope with the physicality of MONs celtic side.  We were actually scared to give away corners or free-kicks around the box because they would bring up their 3 big CBs, and two big strikers each and every time.  I remember them firing in corner after corner and we just couldn't deal with it.  We should learn from it and use it against them now. 

6 hours ago, Brown Brogues said:

If im honest the issue i have with the team isnt really exclusive to the formation, but does anyone else think we dont press the ball enough in the middle of the park? I feel we are very stand offish and we let oposition players get comfy on the ball at times. Ive noticed this even at ibrox. I hate mentioning the ghouls from the eastend but when you see them, their opposition dont get a second on the ball. 

I could play professional football if no one pressured me fs. The good players handle pressure and shite ones dont, and the SPFL has more shite than good. Just a thought.

Well said. For all the tepid attacking and defensive brain farts, so much comes from this. There was a point in the second half when, with ten men, they passed it out of defence with ease, one-twos all the way up the left.

Criminal that it happens so often against teams that would melt if pressed with any intent.

7 hours ago, Brown Brogues said:

I'd like to see this a bit more too but I think you need an extra man in midfield to do it effectively.

If we have two CMs and they have three then you just get played around anyway if you press too much. Unfortunately its a downside to a 4-4-2.

Some managers like to allow certain opposition players time on the ball if their passing isn't good enough but we stood off Ryan Edwards last night and he is a decent standard SPFL player (and a bear too, his old man played for us) so I don't think that's the case.

Jack's best position is an anchor midfielder sitting in front and centre of Cardosa and Alves, breaking up plays and distributing the ball to midfielders and overlapping fullbacks.

Dorrans should be playing well forward in the middle, placing through balls down the channels and the wings, and shooting from the 18 yard line.

Wallace and Tav are wrongly slaughtered for being too offensive. If they attack, wide player must cover (Candias does this well on the right side), or the midfielder or anchor covers. If the CB covers then anchor covers for the CB.  Simple rotation.