Pedros Four Pillars comment

steven33jackie

Watching his press conference I found his comments from about 12 minutes onward very interesting in view point of a foreign coach working in Scottish Football. His questions to the media

1. Do Scotland have any top referees = No

2. Do we have any current players known world wide = No

3. How long has our UEFA coefficient been decreasing = 10 years

4. Has our international team qualified for any recent tournaments = No

Are we happy with this ?

The fact that he put the refs at the top of the list for me was important. Referees worldwide work from the same set of rules but of course some of it comes down to the interpretation of certain rules.

The game on Sunday, if you look at that game and probably most normal Scottish fixtures and put a ref in charge from say, Spain, Germany. Netherlands or any country where the emphasis is on technical ability over physicality, then there would probably of been about three red cards, considerable more bookings and about 20 minutes of genuine uninterrupted football out of the 90 minutes played.

It seems in Scotland that from the top down we have forgone technical ability and become blind to the over compensation of the physical aspect of our game. We then every season have this scrapping over the ashes of another failed European campaign by our teams competing in Europe and wonder where it went wrong.

If we had games officiated in a way that the borderline tackles were punished instead of let off and players were sent of for tackles which we deem reckless but would probably be seem as dangerous in any other country then perhaps the skilful more technical players could flourish and Scottish football in general could improve. 

This is a take on Scottish football in general, as I find it laughable that in one hand we have guys like Malky Mckay working for the SFA and trying to put a frame work for football be coached and played in the right manner. Then in the other hand we have media and pundits alike applauding the way the game was played on Sunday. 

You can sit on  Saturday or Sunday and watch football from morning till night and I can guarantee you not see a more physical game all day than the one from Scotland.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, steven33jackie said:

Watching his press conference I found his comments from about 12 minutes onward very interesting in view point of a foreign coach working in Scottish Football. His questions to the media

1. Do Scotland have any top referees = No

2. Do we have any current players known world wide = No

3. How long has our UEFA coefficient been decreasing = 10 years

4. Has our international team qualified for any recent tournaments = No

Are we happy with this ?

The fact that he put the refs at the top of the list for me was important. Referees worldwide work from the same set of rules but of course some of it comes down to the interpretation of certain rules.

The game on Sunday, if you look at that game and probably most normal Scottish fixtures and put a ref in charge from say, Spain, Germany. Netherlands or any country where the emphasis is on technical ability over physicality, then there would probably of been about three red cards, considerable more bookings and about 20 minutes of genuine uninterrupted football out of the 90 minutes played.

It seems in Scotland that from the top down we have forgone technical ability and become blind to the over compensation of the physical aspect of our game. We then every season have this scrapping over the ashes of another failed European campaign by our teams competing in Europe and wonder where it went wrong.

If we had games officiated in a way that the borderline tackles were punished instead of let off and players were sent of for tackles which we deem reckless but would probably be seem as dangerous in any other country then perhaps the skilful more technical players could flourish and Scottish football in general could improve. 

This is a take on Scottish football in general, as I find it laughable that in one hand we have guys like Malky Mckay working for the SFA and trying to put a frame work for football be coached and played in the right manner. Then in the other hand we have media and pundits alike applauding the way the game was played on Sunday. 

You can sit on  Saturday or Sunday and watch football from morning till night and I can guarantee you not see a more physical game all day than the one from Scotland.

Apart from the part about decent referee's, yes.

I am happy with it.

Scottish football deserves nothing but contempt and misery after the way Rangers have been treated and stil get treated. I'm a Rangers fan, not a Scottish football fan. 

I've had the debate loads on here that it's a myth Rangers need a strong Scottish football. We don't. We just need a strong Rangers.

To fuck with the rest.

I understood where Pedro was coming from in his interview but can't agree with him. His responsibility is Rangers, not Scottish football. He needs to realise this.

He talks a lot of sense but we like our football to be combative as we are not very skilful as a nation.

I love a good battle,muck and nettles kind of football,but it is going to get us nowhere as a nation,thank fuck am not one bit bothered about the national team.

We as a club have lacked any real steel in the midfield for years and we've suffered for it

There is not another country in the world that would boot their biggest club to their bottom division for any reason. We were unfairly dealt with quickly without knowing all the facts and it should never have happened.

Whats amazing is that they got away with it.

1 minute ago, OhW said:

I think that was maybe Pedro's point. Like he was saying "I know you hate Rangers, but you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. If we are strong it helps all of Scotland."

Maybe they think the same as you but in reverse. They care more about having a weak Rangers than having a strong Scottish football.

Perhaps. But things like this is why he will never succeed as manager. He's too deep a thinker and over-complicates things. He lets external factors dominate his mind instead of getting the basics right first and foremost. 

He belongs in a classroom or something, or a study writing a book - not in a Rangers dugout. 

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

His responsibility is Rangers, not Scottish football. He needs to realise this

I think it's quite clear to see that he does realise this. He states that it is not his job to change Scottish football that that responsibility lies with the media and authorities to change the mindset to football away from rugby\football.

He's looking to get Rangers back to where they once were, competing against top opposition which is not going to happen for a number of reasons currently, but mainly as he points out, by suggesting Scottish football is utter dross by way of how well we don't do on not just the International stage but European stage too.

Unfortunately, Rangers compete in the Scottish Premier League therefore the majority of teams faced will be hammer throwers.

Yes I think the refs are shit, but blaming them for everything to make us feel better will change nothing. Our team is shit and full of prima donnas who think they are better than what they are. Once again we have a manager who is tactically out thought by the rest, we have players who throw the towel in when the game could still be won, we have players who have no spine get bullied on the park and end up scared to play football, and to top it all off we have a manager who comes out with 1 embarrassing comment after another and we have a board who don't seem to have a clue about anything.

16 minutes ago, cascadeshrimp said:

He talks a lot of sense but we like our football to be combative as we are not very skilful as a nation.

I love a good battle,muck and nettles kind of football,but it is going to get us nowhere as a nation,thank fuck am not one bit bothered about the national team.

We as a club have lacked any real steel in the midfield for years and we've suffered for it

Theres a difference between a battle and being a dirty bastard. like the foul on cardoso. I'd condemn any of our players that did that to an opponent. battle hard, go in for every tackle, dont shirk out of a challenge, but dont play to injure someone purposely. 

The lego muncher for them lot is what you describe, and he is a classless wanker for it. he'd be a bit more respectable if he was just fearless and battled for everything, but hes a dirty cunt and thats why we hate him.

Totally agree we need more steel in the middle though. We need players willing to go into crunching tackles, drive the team forward.

8 minutes ago, OhW said:

Agreed. I said ages ago that Pedro and Warburton seem the same type. They've been on all the courses, got top grades and could talk for hours about their process/philosophy. Unfortunately that doesn't always translate into success but does it impress the suits and keeps them in work.

Would happily never hear Pedro say another word ever again.

Couldn't agree more, in short we are stuck with an educated idiot.

14 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

There is not another country in the world that would boot their biggest club to their bottom division for any reason. We were unfairly dealt with quickly without knowing all the facts and it should never have happened.

Whats amazing is that they got away with it.

Italy, Juventus 2006 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Italian_football_scandal

1 minute ago, ScotlandSt said:

I think it's quite clear to see that he does realise this. He states that it is not his job to change Scottish football that that responsibility lies with the media and authorities to change the mindset to football away from rugby\football.

He's looking to get Rangers back to where they once were, competing against top opposition which is not going to happen for a number of reasons currently, but mainly as he points out, by suggesting Scottish football is utter dross by way of how well we don't do on not just the International stage but European stage too.

Unfortunately, Rangers compete in the Scottish Premier League therefore the majority of teams faced will be hammer throwers.

Sure but he can't sit and say Scottish football is full of hammer throwers, it's dross, more like rugby ... but then set up teams that have no awareness of this and seem totally ignorant to it.

This is what I mean, he thinks he talks a good game - but it's all pish because he can't back anything up or adapt a plan in his mind for Rangers for the environment that we're in.

I agree with you re lego,100% but he is NOT what i'm describing .

Football all over the world is very nearly a non contact sport, but if you watch a Scottish game it looks like a different sport at times.

We need to box clever and get fucked into teams in such a way that is hard but fair,it can be done

Just now, OhW said:

Especially when he was on about assembling a team of warriors. That's starting to look more and more like he was just scapegoating Warburton's players. 

That's all he does. 

I'm not saying the players don't deserve a bollocking or dropped or even punted when they've had enough changes, but he continually sacrificies the players to cover his own inadequecies. He rarely takes responsibility for anything.

He'd rather banish some players to cover his own back and pretty soon he will run out of players to do this with. I'm not a big fan of the majority of our players, but it's his team now and he's already calling them a disgrace and embarrassment. He's on the ropes and running out of places to turn.

The common denominator is him - regardless of how well some people still think he comes across and what hot-air he keeps blowing in pressers. One day soon everyone will finally click on.

29 minutes ago, M0NTY said:

This Jackie or Steven?

Anyway, i liked how Pedro turned that onto the journo cunt. He is right in what he says. We have a poor class of football compared to the rest of Europe ( Spain, Germany, Italy etc) . 

He was just being polite in not stating........Albania, Montenegro, Lithuania, , Luxembourg and so on.

This country is a backwater. Fucking dross from officialdom, to management to players.