Morelos' overall play

Gaz52

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

I'm actually glad he's not scoring much. It would bring interest in him which I want to avoid as I think this boy can develops into something special. His football brain is excellent and so is his passing. He's the best forward we've had since we got into the shite. Hands down. No one else comes near him. Just a pity we don't have a Boyd (first time) type of player who can play alongside him, but as long as the midfield continue to fire the goals in then we have no problem. I just hope that he can see that he brings so much more than goals to the team and doesn't let his head drop. 

Im the opposite. I want him banging them in at a rate that it's unbelievable to watch and if we have to sell him we make sure we make an absolute fortune.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

It's not a few weeks, it's 8. 2 months.....

Doesn't change my second point. Players go through dry spells, it happens all the time - it doesn't mean they're any worse overall as players. 

They don't suddenly lose their ability overnight. 

3 hours ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Of course i am. Our display and respect for fallen at weekend was amazing. I was raving about Barjonas a while back. I think our keeper is terrific. I think McCrorie is wonderful and could go on to be a great Ranger. I have been singing Ryan Jacks praises since he signed. I praised Holt the other day for his first half display. I am positive more often than not but as usual, folk pick out what they want to moan about. 

There's bits and bobs to be happy about but it tends to always be the criticisms and negativity that people remember.  

Wes Foderingham went 6 or 7 games without keeping a clean sheet, that's a terrible record for a Rangers goalkeeper. 

9 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Im the opposite. I want him banging them in at a rate that it's unbelievable to watch and if we have to sell him we make sure we make an absolute fortune.

I would be happy with that too. If he was scoring every game, we could get upwards of £10m for him, but he's not that type of player. Best we can hope for with his current ability is a goal every couple of games. No one would pay over £3m for him at the moment. And to me, he's worth way more than that. 

13 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Yes, no goals in 8 weeks is an awful return for a Rangers striker. 

Yet nobody is worried or really that fussed, are they? We all know how good a player Morelos is, he has still been playing well in the majority of games but unfortunately hasn’t had many chances. 

If anything my opinion on him has gone up during these 8 weeks (some of which were during the international break, you could get a job for the Record) as its highlighted that he actually has a lot more to his game than just goals. Enjoy him whilst he is here.

9 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Wes Foderingham went 6 or 7 games without keeping a clean sheet, that's a terrible record for a Rangers goalkeeper. 

Nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Yet nobody is worried or really that fussed, are they? We all know how good a player Morelos is, he has still been playing well in the majority of games but unfortunately hasn’t had many chances. 

If anything my opinion on him has gone up during these 8 weeks (some of which were during the international break, you could get a job for the Record) as its highlighted that he actually has a lot more to his game than just goals. Enjoy him whilst he is here.

No we don't. No one has a clue. He's been here 5 minutes. He puts himself about, he got off to a flyer, now he has settled down a little, his work rate seems to be enough to keep fans happy. That says more about those fans than anything else. 

He won't go for big money and won't play for a bigger club than Rangers. 

14 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Doesn't change my second point. Players go through dry spells, it happens all the time - it doesn't mean they're any worse overall as players. 

They don't suddenly lose their ability overnight. 

This i do agree with. 

4 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

No we don't. No one has a clue. He's been here 5 minutes. He puts himself about, he got off to a flyer, now he has settled down a little, his work rate seems to be enough to keep fans happy. That says more about those fans than anything else. 

No one has a clue about Morelos? He has played in about 15 full games. I know all you do is read his goal stats but anyone who watches Morelos knows he is a good player. And his performances even more impressive when you realise he is a 21 year old Colombian who doesn’t speak English. His work rate isn’t even one of his most impressive traits, his link up play is superb. 

There isn’t many clubs bigger than Rangers, so yes I agree he won’t play for Man Utd, Barca or Real.

7 hours ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Totally agree with the first bit mate. I've read so many folk say he is our main man and we can rely on him to fire us to a title challenge etc etc. Utter nonsense. He is a 3rd choice striker. He shold be 3rd in line behind 2 experienced proper Rangers strikers, which we don't have. I don't see much quality in his play, i see loads of endeavour and load of guts but little quality. If any other Rangers striker had n scored in 4, 5, 6 games they would be getting slaughtered, this kid hasn't scored in 8 weeks and we have people still saying he is top drawer and this and that because he puts himself about. It's embarrassing. Rangers strikers are paid to score goals and fire us to titles and trophies, he isn't. Yet.  

What a stupid post. 

35 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

And another stupid post, have no idea! 

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Would you prefer that he scored a goal every other game then lose him in a few months for a few million to some bottom half EPL team?

I'm quite happy with his overall play just now. He's pulling defenders out of position allowing others to score. 

Totally hypothetical situation fabricated in your mind.

Yes, i would rather he be scoring every other week and getting attention.

Great asset to the team.His determination,attitude and all round ability is a joy to watch.How he manages to control some of the passes he gets and hold play up allowing teammates to get up in support is testament to his skill and technique.When you consider some of the dross we have watched over the last few years who couldn’t control a simple pass he is like a breath of fresh air.We really do need someone up beside him to benefit and play off one another.Doesnt help when the player who should have been doing this on Saturday was at one point further back than Wes!!!

3 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

I would be happy with that too. If he was scoring every game, we could get upwards of £10m for him, but he's not that type of player. Best we can hope for with his current ability is a goal every couple of games. No one would pay over £3m for him at the moment. And to me, he's worth way more than that. 

It's Scotland no one would pay over a million for him right now. Not slating him but it is Scotland and even with 30 plus goals unless they included goals in Europe he is not going for more than 1.5/2m

14 minutes ago, gj923 said:

It's Scotland no one would pay over a million for him right now. Not slating him but it is Scotland and even with 30 plus goals unless they included goals in Europe he is not going for more than 1.5/2m

Aye, if ye possess Martin Bain level of negotiations. 

1 hour ago, OnwardsandUpwards said:

Great asset to the team.His determination,attitude and all round ability is a joy to watch.How he manages to control some of the passes he gets and hold play up allowing teammates to get up in support is testament to his skill and technique.When you consider some of the dross we have watched over the last few years who couldn’t control a simple pass he is like a breath of fresh air.We really do need someone up beside him to benefit and play off one another.Doesnt help when the player who should have been doing this on Saturday was at one point further back than Wes!!!

Think you are getting a bit carried away, he is decent but in no way recently has he shown any real class. In fact from watching the past couple of games, he looks unfit and perhaps overweight. Hopefully, with better coaching and management he can push on - but not getting a good vibe about him recently.

9 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Think you are getting a bit carried away, he is decent but in no way recently has he shown any real class. In fact from watching the past couple of games, he looks unfit and perhaps overweight. Hopefully, with better coaching and management he can push on - but not getting a good vibe about him recently.

He was one of our best players against Hearts. 

Just now, PRW. said:

:duh:

Excellent debate there - the top striker in our League went to Burton Albion last year let that sink in. Morelos good though he is has not proven himself long term yet so no one is going to pay much more than the reported fee we paid for him.

By all means come back with some evidence that a 21 year old in the SPL with 8 goals will go for 3 million

18 minutes ago, gj923 said:

Excellent debate there - the top striker in our League went to Burton Albion last year let that sink in. Morelos good though he is has not proven himself long term yet so no one is going to pay much more than the reported fee we paid for him.

By all means come back with some evidence that a 21 year old in the SPL with 8 goals will go for 3 million

Boyce was not the top striker in the league. 

I agree that nobody would pay much more than we did at this moment in time. He has a long way to go. 

I just thought the comparison to Waghorn, Garner & other SPL strikers fees was silly. Especially if you're talking about when he is scoring "30 plus goals"

1 hour ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Disagree with you here.Thought he was excellent against Hearts and one of our best players against Thistle.Considering for the most part he is somewhat isolated think he contributes a great deal to our overall performance.