Players we nearly signed...

BEE

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Billy1984 said:

Was going to say him, seemed like we were constantly linked with him for a good while.

Gert Jan Goudswaard, remember him Rangers fans?

Probably not.

The Dutchman was a club doctor at Gers for four years after being brought in by ex-boss Dick Advocaat.

And after scuppering the transfer of a Spanish star to Ibrox, he now has a ROCKnamed after him in Espanyol!

The Light Blues agreed a bumper £11million move to sign Raul Tamudo from the La Liga side 16 years ago after Michael Mols was ruled out with a long-term injury.

Tamudo told how he was ready to sign for Rangers against his will and said: “They told me: you go, or your teammates aren’t getting paid.”

After thrashing out terms with Gers, all that was left was for him to undergo a medical in Glasgow.

But after two hours in a MRI machine, Dr Jan Goudswaard advised AGAINST the move.

The striker then returned to Spain before becoming an Espanyol legend – netting 129 goals in 340 appearances.

And now, Dr Jan Goudswaard has a Spanish fan club called ‘Doctor Gert, Diga 23’ as a thank you over the collapsed Gers move.

In the end, Rangers broke the Scottish transfer record for another striker.

48 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Gert Jan Goudswaard, remember him Rangers fans?

Probably not.

The Dutchman was a club doctor at Gers for four years after being brought in by ex-boss Dick Advocaat.

And after scuppering the transfer of a Spanish star to Ibrox, he now has a ROCKnamed after him in Espanyol!

The Light Blues agreed a bumper £11million move to sign Raul Tamudo from the La Liga side 16 years ago after Michael Mols was ruled out with a long-term injury.

Tamudo told how he was ready to sign for Rangers against his will and said: “They told me: you go, or your teammates aren’t getting paid.”

After thrashing out terms with Gers, all that was left was for him to undergo a medical in Glasgow.

But after two hours in a MRI machine, Dr Jan Goudswaard advised AGAINST the move.

The striker then returned to Spain before becoming an Espanyol legend – netting 129 goals in 340 appearances.

And now, Dr Jan Goudswaard has a Spanish fan club called ‘Doctor Gert, Diga 23’ as a thank you over the collapsed Gers move.

In the end, Rangers broke the Scottish transfer record for another striker.

:lol: take it the other striker was flo? Good find that mate.

4 hours ago, Billy1984 said:

Was going to say him, seemed like we were constantly linked with him for a good while.

Yeah I'm sure he played in the uefa cup final at hampden 2007 round about the time we were linked with him, hard to believe we got there (Manchester) a year later, seems a life time away.

Robbie Savage in Division 3.

Scott Brown - I remember Derek Johnstone talking shite every night on Clyde 1 that Brown was 100% coming to us just before he signed for them.

Joleon Lescott.

Ryan McGowan again in Division 3. We had him at Murray Park but ultimately he turned us down which is fair enough due to the league we were in.

7 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Robbie Savage in Division 3.

Scott Brown - I remember Derek Johnstone talking shite every night on Clyde 1 that Brown was 100% coming to us just before he signed for them.

Joleon Lescott.

Ryan McGowan again in Division 3. We had him at Murray Park but ultimately he turned us down which is fair enough due to the league we were in.

DJ actually announced we had signed him, turned out is was Tommo and he signed for them.

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Hakan Sukur was close to joining us in 2002 but the move broke down over wage demands.

2004 I think it was as we signed Ostenstaad instead - Sukur didn't do much anyway from them onwards so probably a bullet dodged even if big Egil was rotten.

We almost signed Les Ferdinand in 1995 - he'd have been brilliant up here.