Please board give us a real manager

GeeSS

4 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Pep Guardiola played football at the very highest level and also learned his trade managing Barcelona's B team.  Murty played football for York City and Reading, was signed as a youth coach, and has somehow ended up the manager of Rangers to the bemusement of both him and the fans.  I don't think the situations are comparable.

Walter Smith played at the highest level ... oh wait! Crap argument as many good managers were at best average players - thon chap Murinho never even played at any decent level 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, simplythebest said:

Barcelona have been designed to bring players up from their youth system for decades and were full of such players making the step up at the time Guardiola took over, it was a pretty natural promotion

Our situation can't even be compared

If the accusation is, its ridiculous to appoint a youth team coach as manager at a club of Rangers stature then it can't be wrong to mention Barcelona did the same. 

7 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Tell me what Peps record was after his first 17 games???

Don't know, why don't you go and check, and while you're at it have a wee look at the players that were available for selection, then come back and let me know if any of them were any good.

I know you won't. 

5 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Wasn't Murty involved with Norwich youths/reserves before coming here? would he not have known about Middleton? unless Middleton arrivied there past year or so

He's said he worked with the lad and that someone tipped him the wink he was available and would come here. Wouldn't say who, but did say he then immediately got Craig mulholland onto it.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2184513/Rangers-graeme-murty-glenn-middleton-norwich/amp/&ved=0ahUKEwiVmczAlo7ZAhWUa8AKHehPCXcQqUMIKDAC&usg=AOvVaw2dw9a6W0fpVB9lvcQxYJ7n&ampcf=1

1 hour ago, Real Ranger said:

Don't know, why don't you go and check, and while you're at it have a wee look at the players that were available for selection, then come back and let me know if any of them were any good.

I know you won't. 

So as per you spout rubbish, then won’t back up your rubbish. ??

37 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So as per you spout rubbish, then won’t back up your rubbish. ??

Yep I knew you wouldn't come back with the players Guardiola had at his disposal so I'll help you out.

Puyal, Pique, Dani Alves, Innesta, Xavi, Messi, Henry and Eto to name a few.

I'd imagine Pep's record after 17 games with that group of world class players would be pretty decent. What point were you trying to make anyway?

7 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Pep Guardiola played football at the very highest level and also learned his trade managing Barcelona's B team.  Murty played football for York City and Reading, was signed as a youth coach, and has somehow ended up the manager of Rangers to the bemusement of both him and the fans.  I don't think the situations are comparable.

And JoseM played for who exactly? That's right, an amateur team in Portugal and he holds the CL record for a manager.

Being a great footballer playing at the highest level does not make you a good manager.

McCoist was a great player and learned his trade where? How good was he as a manager?

It's all to do with the individual and not who you played for nor learned your managerial trade at.

I rest my case!

I’ve been quite supportive of Murty but he keeps dropping points in games we need to win and it’s not going to wash among the majority of the support.

I appreciate that he’s an inexperienced manager learning his trade, but I don’t think ibrox is going to be the place for him to gain that experience long term.

Saturday was the chance to try and salvage this season and make it into some sort of title race and we blew it, which wasn’t a surprise to me.

The fact we have beaten Aberdeen three times but are still behind them in the table is ridiculous too.

16 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I’ve been quite supportive of Murty but he keeps dropping points in games we need to win and it’s not going to wash among the majority of the support.

I appreciate that he’s an inexperienced manager learning his trade, but I don’t think ibrox is going to be the place for him to gain that experience long term.

Saturday was the chance to try and salvage this season and make it into some sort of title race and we blew it, which wasn’t a surprise to me.

The fact we have beaten Aberdeen three times but are still behind them in the table is ridiculous too.

Good post mate, Sat was a total fuck up after they had dropped points a few hours earlier.

6 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Good post mate, Sat was a total fuck up after they had dropped points a few hours earlier.

It really was. Don’t get me wrong a title challenge would still a stretch but if we had won that game then we are 11 behind them, with a game in hand and with two games against them still to play. If we had got to that position then you potentially have a semi credible challenge.

The blame doesn’t purely lie with Murty (although not starting Cummings and not matching up to Hibs man for man in midfield were mistakes) the players have to take a share of the blame too but the whole thing is so frustrating.

Good managers or bad managers - their footballing carerrs have zero to do with it, it's a completely different job entirely.

Some good players but shite managers - McCoist, Shearer, Gattusso, Maldini, Wouters, Blind, Gough, Barry Ferguson, Tigana.
Some shite players but good managers - Mourinho, Smith, Wenger,, Klopp.

Then you get some good players and good managers like Conte, Gaurdiola, Zoff, Blanc, Enrique, Souness.

Matters not a jot - it takes a certain type of character to be a good manager. It's mostly character actually.

1 hour ago, Real Ranger said:

Yep I knew you wouldn't come back with the players Guardiola had at his disposal so I'll help you out.

Puyal, Pique, Dani Alves, Innesta, Xavi, Messi, Henry and Eto to name a few.

I'd imagine Pep's record after 17 games with that group of world class players would be pretty decent. What point were you trying to make anyway?

Oh right so the only reason Pep was a success is because he had far superior players at his disposal. 

But you try and compare his success when he stepped up to Murty being given time. 

Comedy Gold. 

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

It really was. Don’t get me wrong a title challenge would still a stretch but if we had won that game then we are 11 behind them, with a game in hand and with two games against them still to play. If we had got to that position then you potentially have a semi credible challenge.

The blame doesn’t purely lie with Murty (although not starting Cummings and not matching up to Hibs man for man in midfield were mistakes) the players have to take a share of the blame too but the whole thing is so frustrating.

Yes the title would still be a long shot but we could have seen what some pressure did to Brenda and his team.

I like Murty but he has traits that are starting to concern me, it will be interesting to see what team he picks on Tuesday.

Anything but three points and second place could become very difficult.

1 minute ago, Big Al II said:

I think people are torturing themselves here. He was given until the end of the season and id be shocked if he's not given, at least that.

Will be interesting to see the team once everyone is available for selection.

He's got options just now but appears to have favourites - although tomorrow night should see it freshened up or there's no excuses for him.

11 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

I think people are torturing themselves here. He was given until the end of the season and id be shocked if he's not given, at least that.

Will be interesting to see the team once everyone is available for selection.

Don't know about torturing, just more grave disappointment

On 04/02/2018 at 09:01, Real Ranger said:

Chelsea have a real manager yet they only managed to win 2 out of 9 games in January.

We have several players missing and the new ones are still bedding in.

Give the guy a chance and judge him at the end of the season.

Too sensible for the bi polar crackpots in our support, the SMSM slobbered on about poor HIVs having players out, Jack, Dorrans  and young  McCrorie all out several new players finding their feet but let’s sack the manager and fuckit sackthe board as well.

8 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

He's got options just now but appears to have favourites - although tomorrow night should see it freshened up or there's no excuses for him.

Yes he has options, in particular regards to Hibs game I meant would he have played McCrorie instead of Goss for instance. Would Jack have started instead of Holt. Docherty will be introduced slowly IMO. Windass as frustrating as he is has been one of our most creative players in last 2 months, id be surprised to see him dropped.

The most telling change would be in formation for me. There's no point in Cummings sittings on the bench. Get 2 up top.

Just now, They Gnu said:

Too sensible for the bi polar crackpots in our support, the SMSM slobbered on about poor HIVs having players out, Jack, Dorrans  and young  McCrorie all out several new players finding their feet but let’s sack the manager and fuckit sackthe board as well.

So can we just use that excuse for the last time Hibs beat us as at home as well? Or Dundee beat us, Hamilton, beating us st Johnstone beating us Kilmarnock beating us. 

10 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

You are right mate but Murty is running out of time. 

Identifying, signing & blooding talent are absolutely his major strengths. But as others have correctly pointed out, look at how Steve Clark has managed to organise a bunch of journeyman at Killy. The difference between the 2 is that Clarke has experience of handling every type personality going. Something SAF made a career out of.

Murty is still developing in this respect and we don't have that time.    

Didn't need a genius to see that Holt and Goss would struggle with McGinn, McGeoch and Allan. Murphy and Candieas worked hard but that central area we were second best. Tactics that worked in Fraserburgh needed to be changed for a step up in class and a group of players very keen to beat us. Windlass has to be sacrificed - it is that simple. Until we get McCrorie, Jack and Dorrans back, we need a 4-5-1.

Goss, Holt and Docherty central with Candieas and Murphy wider. Either that or play Murphy in front of the midfield with Cummings and Morelos up top and keep Candieas as a sub.