Tavs role in the team

Bad Robot

10 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We aren’t talking about creativity. 

He is a gaping wound of a defender and every team we play knows it and goes after that side. 

Now instead of trying to shove round peg Tav going forward into a defensive square peg hole. Find a way to get him on the pitch and doing what he does best without having to compromise our defence. 

But if you place him further forward it negates his best quality, creating from deep. We've conceded 2 goals this season - quality of opposition noted, we have a much better centre half pairing and much more balanced midfield so his flaws as a defender wont be as exposed. 

In most games we'll have the majority of the ball and in that sence Tav would be one of the first people I'd have on the teamsheet. I would be tempted to put Flanagan in if we need to a bit more solid in games maybe against them and away in Europe. 

2 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Such an overblown debate on here in the last 24 hours or so. Football is, and continues to become more of, a squad game. Tavernier, Flanagan and Barisic will all be very, very important for us this year. 

Spot on, all 3 on the pitch playing in their right positions. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Tav is an utter horseshit defender, Flanagan pisses all over him on that front anyone claiming Tav is a better defender is aff their nut. 

You want Tav to play he has to make himself a wide midfielder which he is more than capable of and can do us a job there. 

I never watched Flanagan at all before he came here, so can only comment on what I've seen so far, which has been nothing special tbh. It's popular to talk about Tavs lack of positional sense, but have a look at Flanagan a bit closer and you'll be surprised the amount of times he's been caught out already, he's not great in the air either, nowhere near as physical as Tav and Kris boyd is quicker than him, some of his passing has been horrific aswell, so I'm not seeing where he's pissing over Tav yet?

3 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

But if you place him further forward it negates his best quality, creating from deep. We've conceded 2 goals this season - quality of opposition noted, we have a much better centre half pairing and much more balanced midfield so his flaws as a defender wont be as exposed. 

In most games we'll have the majority of the ball and in that sence Tav would be one of the first people I'd have on the teamsheet. I would be tempted to put Flanagan in if we need to a bit more solid in games maybe against them and away in Europe. 

Mate we will need to differ on this. 

We play our best defenders it’s that simple for me, Tav isn’t even close to being a defender. 

If you want to play 3 at the back with Tav wide on midfield then I’m listening, because he would be covered when he does his usual and doesn’t read the play finds himself way out of position or just falls on his arse when the winger turns him. 

4 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

I never watched Flanagan at all before he came here, so can only comment on what I've seen so far, which has been nothing special tbh. It's popular to talk about Tavs lack of positional sense, but have a look at Flanagan a bit closer and you'll be surprised the amount of times he's been caught out already, he's not great in the air either, nowhere near as physical as Tav and Kris boyd is quicker than him, some of his passing has been horrific aswell, so I'm not seeing where he's pissing over Tav yet?

So let’s see Tav is better in the air. ??

Tav is more physical ?? Tav couldn’t tackle his way out of a wet paper bag. 

You don’t need the be super quick if your not caught upfield time after time and can read the play. 

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Mate we will need to differ on this. 

We play our best defenders it’s that simple for me, Tav isn’t even close to being a defender. 

If you want to play 3 at the back with Tav wide on midfield then I’m listening, because he would be covered when he does his usual and doesn’t read the play finds himself way out of position or just falls on his arse when the winger turns him. 

I'm all in on a 3-5-2. Said for ages that's the system that suits our players best

1 hour ago, Ryju84 said:

But was that last season you are referring to when Tav average was still better than the rest on the pitch and the shite around him?

(Cant remember if he has been pushed forward in starting position under Gerrard. Correct me if Im wrong)

He’s played further forward under 3 different managers, he isn’t good unless he’s a right back. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So let’s see Tav is better in the air. ??

Tav is more physical ?? Tav couldn’t tackle his way out of a wet paper bag. 

You don’t need the be super quick if your not caught upfield time after time and can read the play. 

He is better in the air, and snapping cunts doesn't mean he's more physical than Tav :lol:

I'm sure this debate will go on long into the night, but it's been done to death already tbh.

Tavs our RB and unless the formation changes then that won't be changing, and rightly so.

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Tav all day for me. 

See I would go for candeias in the more forward role. Like them both on the right when it is clicking for them but thats in the 442 or whatever. With the 352 I'm not convinced he could carry off a midfield role. Then again he does have the dead ball threat. Quite good having these kind of problems again, having a good enough squad that you have to actually think about who will play instead of shiteing it every time the team is announced.

6 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

He is better in the air, and snapping cunts doesn't mean he's more physical than Tav :lol:

I'm sure this debate will go on long into the night, but it's been done to death already tbh.

Tavs our RB and unless the formation changes then that won't be changing, and rightly so.

Sorry mate still trying to stop laughing that you think Tav is physical or can head the ball. 

5 minutes ago, CoopsLaud said:

See I would go for candeias in the more forward role. Like them both on the right when it is clicking for them but thats in the 442 or whatever. With the 352 I'm not convinced he could carry off a midfield role. Then again he does have the dead ball threat. Quite good having these kind of problems again, having a good enough squad that you have to actually think about who will play instead of shiteing it every time the team is announced.

He’s far more creative than Dan for me has a better cross on the move and can hit a dead ball. 

Dan is far more physical can actually tackle a player and better defensively. 

But with 3 at the back I would go for the attacking option in Tav. 

58 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So Flanagan has only ever had one good game in his entire career???? 

Tav is poor in defence 9/10  

If you can honestly say Tav is a better defender then you either have blinkers on or know hee haw about football. 

Aye fair enough, he had some more good games 5 years ago, and a lot of shite ones inbetween. 

The jury is seriously still out on Flanagan, he has a long way to go to prove himself here. 

I apologise for not being one of those who get all hysterically negative/positive about a player after a couple of games. I’ll wait & see how he does after a few months.

He certainly isn’t moving our captain out the team anyway. 

7 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Aye fair enough, he had some more good games 5 years ago, and a lot of shite ones inbetween. 

The jury is seriously still out on Flanagan, he has a long way to go to prove himself here. 

I apologise for not being one of those who get all hysterically negative/positive about a player after a couple of games. I’ll wait & see how he does after a few months.

He certainly isn’t moving our captain out the team anyway. 

Why does it have to be RB or nothing with Tav. 

We played him further forward in a crap midfiled and he struggled a bit, give him a run of games further forward with a decent midfiled and time to learn the role and find his feet. 

7 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Sorry mate still trying to stop laughing that you think Tav is physical or can head the ball. 

I must be imagining it when he's using his body to shield the ball from players and letting it go out for goal kicks instead of corners, or all the times he does the same for throw ins and free kicks etc. Or barges players to the side when he's going on a run, I've got some imagination :lol:

Flanagan is physical in the sense he will snap cunts and likes getting stuck in. 

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

I must be imagining it when he's using his body to shield the ball from players and letting it go out for goal kicks instead of corners, or all the times he does the same for throw ins and free kicks etc. Or barges players to the side when he's going on a run, I've got some imagination :lol:

Flanagan is physical in the sense he will snap cunts and likes getting stuck in. 

Shielding a ball out of play isn’t physical ? 

He brushes past players going forward with his pace and ball control not because he knocks them over. 

I want my defenders to get stuck in and snap cunts then tell the cunt he will get worse the next time he comes down the wing. 

18 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He’s far more creative than Dan for me has a better cross on the move and can hit a dead ball. 

Dan is far more physical can actually tackle a player and better defensively. 

But with 3 at the back I would go for the attacking option in Tav. 

Fair enough when put like that. Good to have them both in the squad anyways.

If SG is set on playing a back four then ultimately I think Tav will lose his place - he'll make too many defensive mistakes for him to ignore, captain or not.  I think Flanagan already looks a better defender playing out of position.

I agree with the view that he is not a wide midfielder or a winger so if it is to be a back four then I don't see a future for him.

If it's three at the back and using him as a wing back, then I do think he has a lot to offer - didn't he provide the most assists in the league last season?

2 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Fuck with the denial, he is utter mince as a defender and I seriously doubt his future with us. One step from oot the fucking door. The scum will again exploit the fuck out of him and for that alone he should not be in the team if we are to overhaul them.

He's just been made captain. He is not one step from being out the door.