Tavs role in the team

Bad Robot

I'm a fan of Tav, think he's the best RB in Spl and hoping with our 3 center mids he might be afforded more protection as the team gel.

Thought Flanagan was great against the Sheep. Real solid in the tackle. So a 3-5-1-1 would suit, but would need to sign someone of real skill/quality/goals to play behind Morelos.

Pretty sure we will vary our formation quite a bit this season and not before time. Warburton and Pedro had preferred formations that the stuck to and tried to pigeon hole players into their pre-determined formation rather than look at the opposition strengths and weaknesses and exploit/cover these. 

As said before we can play 3/4/5 at the back and on occasion Tav could move into the midfield easily. Fernando made this transition to great effect.

Not had time to read all this thread, but I am sure he will be at r/b or wing back in a 4 or 5.

I also thought he played well on Sunday and do not think he could have done much more at the goal. It was Coulibaly who made the biggest fuck up in that situation IMO. 

I was surprised he was made captain and it will make it harder to drop him if he does make mistakes in the future, but Stevie G will have to live with that decision. 

I hope we try a 3-5-2 with wingbacks at some point.  Allowing Barisic and Tavernier to be our width and get forward.  Even if it remains as a 4-3-3 Tavernier will remain our right back he's too important to us going forward.  

I like Tav as a player but that is mostly for his offensive threat.  Time will tell if the manager thinks that outweighs his defensive frailties.

Have to say that after  his last performance at the piggery,  I live in fear of going there again with him at right back.  I know the team as a whole were atrocious that day but that doesn’t excuse his own inept performance.  

7 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

I like Tav as a player but that is mostly for his offensive threat.  Time will tell if the manager thinks that outweighs his defensive frailties.

Have to say that after  his last performance at the piggery,  I live in fear of going there again with him at right back.  I know the team as a whole were atrocious that day but that doesn’t excuse his own inept performance.  

With better players around him,  he will probably do better this time.  SG and co are doing far better with their training compared to last season.  It really is night and day.  

1 hour ago, RDFM said:

He should player right back or not at all. Every game where he’s been moved up he’s been average at best. His game comes from deep running and receiving the ball in space. 

But was that last season you are referring to when Tav average was still better than the rest on the pitch and the shite around him?

(Cant remember if he has been pushed forward in starting position under Gerrard. Correct me if Im wrong)

18 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

With better players around him,  he will probably do better this time.  SG and co are doing far better with their training compared to last season.  It really is night and day.  

If he’s playing, he better be a lot better.  Not a pleasant sight watching that mob going past our players with little or no resistance offered.

As I said in the other thread, Tav's role in the team (as captain) will be first name on the teamsheet - rightly or wrongly.

Whether that's at right-back, wing-back or right-wing remains to be seen.

But at least it's good to have some options now, well suitable options because before people always said options but those options were Myles Beerman and Lee Hodson at full-back.

47 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Tav is an utter horseshit defender, Flanagan pisses all over him on that front anyone claiming Tav is a better defender is aff their nut. 

You want Tav to play he has to make himself a wide midfielder which he is more than capable of and can do us a job there. 

Flanagan has had one good game. One. 

3 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Flanagan has had one good game. One. 

So Flanagan has only ever had one good game in his entire career???? 

Tav is poor in defence 9/10  

If you can honestly say Tav is a better defender then you either have blinkers on or know hee haw about football. 

Tav is our club captain and first choice right back. Nothing is going to change there. 

If we make the EL group stages we'll need to utilise our squad & having Flanagan being able to replace Tavernier is exactly the kind of squad depth we need. 

Flanagan will also be able to replace Barisic when required and will also play as a 3rd centre half when we go to a 3-5-2 

2 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Tav is our club captain and first choice right back. Nothing is going to change there. 

If we make the EL group stages we'll need to utilise our squad & having Flanagan being able to replace Tavernier is exactly the kind of squad depth we need. 

Flanagan will also be able to replace Barisic when required and will also play as a 3rd centre half when we go to a 3-5-2 

Then Stevie will win us fuck all. 

Candeias isn't good enough to play as a RW with Flanagan behind him IMO because he doesn't really have that trickery or flair to go by a man 1-v-1. He makes use of Tav to play quick 1-2s and he drifts inside quite often to allow Tav to go on the overlap. 

Absolutely no chance is Flanagan doing that. So if we start Flanagan at RB we'd need another more skillful RW to play in front of him too

10 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So Flanagan has only ever had one good game in his entire career???? 

Tav is poor in defence 9/10  

If you can honestly say Tav is a better defender then you either have blinkers on or know hee haw about football. 

Tavernier offers us more than Flanagan. He's our best attacking threat.

If you can't see that you know 'hee haw' about modern football.

Just now, eskbankloyal said:

Really? 

Tavernier has either scored or set up every goal we have scored this season so far... 

He's by far and away our most creative player. 

We aren’t talking about creativity. 

He is a gaping wound of a defender and every team we play knows it and goes after that side. 

Now instead of trying to shove round peg Tav going forward into a defensive square peg hole. Find a way to get him on the pitch and doing what he does best without having to compromise our defence. 

1 minute ago, Mols94 said:

Tavernier offers us more than Flanagan. He's our best attacking threat.

If you can't see that you know 'hee haw' about modern football.

So your saying we can’t have that attacking threat without compromising our defence. 

And please spare me the pish about modern RB’s not being able to defend and it’s all about getting forward. 

2 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Such an overblown debate on here in the last 24 hours or so. Football is, and continues to become more of, a squad game. Tavernier, Flanagan and Barisic will all be very, very important for us this year. 

Spot on, all 3 on the pitch playing in their right positions.