***The Official Rangers v St Mirren Thread***

G.E.C.

1 hour ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

If Candeias gets dropped today after last weeks display he will be gutted.

He was outstanding and watches the next game from the bench, whereas Worrall does what he wants and will start. 

Great management.

If it's a formation change, he has to drop Candeias, whereas Worrall has to play because regardless of his mistake, he's still way better than McAuley

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

If it's a formation change, he has to drop Candeias, whereas Worrall has to play because regardless of his mistake, he's still way better than McAuley

Still goes against everything Gerrard has said over the last few months, all this talk about how if you play well you keep the jersey

Candieas was miles our motm last week so it should be the same formation to allow him to play, not changing it to suit a 36 year old Jermain Defoe because that's the only reason the formation changes today, to accommodate him 

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

But where is the logic in forcing a formation change and dropping a player who was incredible last week.

We are only considering a diamond to accommodate Defoe. 

2 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Still goes against everything Gerrard has said over the last few months, all this talk about how if you play well you keep the jersey

Candieas was miles our motm last week so it should be the same formation to allow him to play, not changing it to suit a 36 year old Jermain Defoe because that's the only reason the formation changes today, to accommodate him 

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

But where is the logic in forcing a formation change and dropping a player who was incredible last week.

We are only considering a diamond to accommodate Defoe. 

I don't disagree, was the exact same with McCrorie apart from he could actually have played.

6 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

I don't disagree, was the exact same with McCrorie apart from he could actually have played.

Especially after losing to Killie, he's already had a warning that changing it doesn't work then he's had to ask those 2 to come back in and do a job for him 

Would be a kick in the teeth for either of them to be dropped today 

There's no doubting the diamond looked good to begin with, but SG seems to think it only failed due to the two errors. I actually wonder whether if the 1st one had been a run of the mill goal against us rather than calamity we might still have struggled the way we did. Was it as much due to  Kilmarnock getting used to the system and how to counter it by pressing back with 2 wingers and becoming more compact centrally as it was due to us being shell shocked.

We'll never know, but it looks like we'll see the system employed again today. Not what I hoped, and riskier imo than going 433, hope for his and our sakes it works.

29 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

There's no doubting the diamond looked good to begin with, but SG seems to think it only failed due to the two errors. I actually wonder whether if the 1st one had been a run of the mill goal against us rather than calamity we might still have struggled the way we did. Was it as much due to  Kilmarnock getting used to the system and how to counter it by pressing back with 2 wingers and becoming more compact centrally as it was due to us being shell shocked.

We'll never know, but it looks like we'll see the system employed again today. Not what I hoped, and riskier imo than going 433, hope for his and our sakes it works.

I think the error knocked the teams confidence and gave Kilmarnock the momentum. When we was 1 0 up we looked like the only team scoring and was unlucky not to have made it 2 0. If we went 2 up it would of been game over IMO. We couldn't get the ball up to the forwards and with 2 up top it left us with 1 less person to win the ball back like candieas usually does and it was like the team was disjointed. I think at home the 442 or 352 will work fine on the bigger pitch but should probably stick to 433 away from home in the tougher games. Saying that I firmly belive the error cost us all 3 points against killie. 

1 minute ago, MrMckee said:

I think the error knocked the teams confidence and gave Kilmarnock the momentum. When we was 1 0 up we looked like the only team scoring and was unlucky not to have made it 2 0. If we went 2 up it would of been game over IMO. We couldn't get the ball up to the forwards and with 2 up top it left us with 1 less person to win the ball back like candieas usually does and it was like the team was disjointed. I think at home the 442 or 352 will work fine on the bigger pitch but should probably stick to 433 away from home in the tougher games. Saying that I firmly belive the error cost us all 3 points against killie. 

I suppose it depends how much you buy into an individual error impacting on the confidence of the 10 outfield players. I agree Kilmarnock got confidence from it, and ours dropped, but it also looked like we were devoid of ideas in this system.

I guess my concern is that the system might be a good one against lesser teams when we are pretty much wholly in control, but against smarter teams with players who can counter it with good wide frontman and strong centre mids then this as much as the error could cause us problems (and I think did versus Killie)

8 hours ago, 1690tamRFC said:

Do it mate. Should be a good trip and a decent result. It’s easy to take it for granted for us that see it every week but I’ve had a season ticket for the last 29 years but i only moved back to Glasgow 8 years ago mate, so I know the commitment it takes. I was 5 when we left Glasgow in 1978 and bought my first season book with my first weeks wages at 15 years old, and st that time I lived in Eastbourne south east England. I still played at that time up until I was 26 and a bad injury finished any chance of making it so From that point on it became and home and away and my life. I’d never tell anycunt what to do, but all I can say is this year could be special mate and if you’ve got the chance to be part of as much as you can then take it. 

Was all set for making the trip mate but the flights at this stage were 140 quid day return and coming back tomorrow was even dearer. Unfortunately I can't afford that this weekend with a car MOT coming up in a couple of weeks 

Made sure my seat was taken though, don't like ever thinking it's left empty.

26 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Was all set for making the trip mate but the flights at this stage were 140 quid day return and coming back tomorrow was even dearer. Unfortunately I can't afford that this weekend with a car MOT coming up in a couple of weeks 

Made sure my seat was taken though, don't like ever thinking it's left empty.

Aye that’s dear mate, good you got done one to use your seat though as like you said I used to hate mine sitting empty if I couldn’t make it up. 

McGregor 

Tav          Worrall       Katic         Barisic 

McCrorie 

Jack                Arfield 

Candeias                                      Kent 

Morelos 

Disgraceful if we don't win by at least 4.

I get the argument that Candeias should play cos hes been playing well, but on paper this is one of the easiest fixtures we have. We brought  in defoe n davis to push for this league so getting them up to speed as quickly as possible is more important, and there no better fixture to do it in. I'm sure Candeias would understand and there would be no questioning his attitude when called apon again. 

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

McGregor 

Tav          Worrall       Katic         Barisic 

McCrorie 

Jack                Arfield 

Candeias                                      Kent 

Morelos 

Disgraceful if we don't win by at least 4.

That is the starting line up that 99% of fans believe should start the game. 👍

Just now, hooooootchy said:

I get the argument that Candeias should play cos hes been playing well, but on paper this is one of the easiest fixtures we have. We brought  in defoe n davis to push for this league so getting them up to speed as quickly as possible is more important, and there no better fixture to do it in. I'm sure Candeias would understand and there would be no questioning his attitude when called apon again. 

Nothing is more important than 3 points 

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Nothing is more important than 3 points 

Im not saying dropping Candeias will cost us 3 points n I'm happy with that. I'm saying in our easiest fixture, playing with defoe n davis or Candeias in the usual formation, we should be winning regardless. I'm saying I'd rather get they 2 up to speed in a game like this 

Archived