***The Official Rangers v St Mirren Thread***

G.E.C.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope Gerrard knows what he’s doing here, we simply cannot afford any more dropped points.

Changing formation and dropping two players (Candeias and Jack) who have been playing well to accommodate Defoe and Davis, if we win it will be forgotten about but any dropped points here and Gerrard will be under pressure big time.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

People have complained for years that we haven’t had enough quality in the squad and we have had managers who aren’t willing to try different formations and systems and now we have that people are complaining that we are rotating and changing the system.

people are complaining that the two players in question have yet to prove anything other than reputation. Nothing to do with rotation. 

10 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

We’ve had them wide all season and still struggled to break teams down. Had some shocking results home and away with 4-3-3. Think people forget this based on the win against the filth. 

I’m willing to give it more than 70 minutes before writing it off. I’d imagine the diamond at home and 4-3-3 away for the foreseeable. 

Exactly this.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

People have complained for years that we haven’t had enough quality in the squad and we have had managers who aren’t willing to try different formations and systems and now we have that people are complaining that we are rotating and changing the system.

Exactly. Under MW and Pedro everyone including me complained there was no plan B. Now we have a manager, whether it be right or wrong, who is trying different formations and everyone is still moaning. It’s laughable 

Very offensive and direct line up hence why Jack and candies miss out. Jack's played a lot of games so perhaps a rest for this game is a smart choice. Let's see how this line up does but got a feeling we could give them a tanking. 

3 minutes ago, Bluekev said:

Exactly. Under MW and Pedro everyone including me complained there was no plan B. Now we have a manager, whether it be right or wrong, who is trying different formations and everyone is still moaning. It’s laughable 

Different having a plan B when you are losing games, and changing a winning team/ formation.

Saying that, it's better to do it at home against St Mirren and have our best squad for away games. 

3 minutes ago, Bluekev said:

Exactly.

We need to have flexibility. 

If we want the best from Defoe and Davis they need game time. If they can’t get it at home to St Mirren then might as well chuck it. 

9 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Mostly because everytime we've changed it up its ended in disaster. 

I don't mind that team against St Mirren at Ibrox. Plenty of attacking options to break them down. This should always have been the game to get Defoe and Davis into the team. Not that Killie away game. It gives Jack a rest but would have preferred Candeias in for Arfield if I'm honest.

A few early goals would be nice.

9 minutes ago, Bluekev said:

There’s a big difference between changing formations when needed and messing about with a winning team just to accommodate two players.

It's becoming a bit like an old Woolies pic'n'mix (for those of you old enough to remember this).    Let's try this......yeugh didn't work...…...so lets make a selection we are more confident will work and hey presto it works...…...then......lets try this different selection and yeught it didn't work ……...then...…...lets go back to a selection we know works better and hey presto again it works again...…….and so on.

It's up to SG of course.  He clearly thinks the players can eventually get the hang of the formations he wants to play.  We'll see how this pic'n'mix selection goes today.    3 points required though regardless of however many adjustments he makes to the side. 

4 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

There’s a big difference between changing formations when needed and messing about with a winning team just to accommodate two players.

He might feel that this formation is suitable against st mirren. We played Cowdenbeath last and it was hardly an overwhelming display with 433

1 minute ago, Bristol loyal said:

SG seems to be resting Jack and Candeias and giving Defoe and Davis match fitness. It is an attacking formation at home against a team who will sit back for 90 mins. Using the same formation and starting 11 every game would make it easy for opposition teams to set themselves up against us and our players would get burnt out/injured.

I'm happy with the line-up and think we will score 4 or more.

Archived