***The Official Rangers v St Mirren Thread***

G.E.C.

2 minutes ago, hooooootchy said:

Im not saying dropping Candeias will cost us 3 points n I'm happy with that. I'm saying in our easiest fixture, playing with defoe n davis or Candeias in the usual formation, we should be winning regardless. I'm saying I'd rather get they 2 up to speed in a game like this 

But it’s accomodating for the sake of it. We should go out n hammer st Mirren and then make changes.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Correct. I just don’t see why we should alter from a proven system. That team all day long gets 3 points.

Hopefully Gerrard has realised that. 

Bring Davis on for McCrorie and Defoe on for Kent/Candeias when we're 3 up.

We need wingers imo, playing 2 up or even the diamond, means most of our attacks are through the middle and teams pack their defence, so we need the width to create spaces in their defence.

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

But it’s accomodating for the sake of it. We should go out n hammer st Mirren and then make changes.

I can see your point, but I don't think it's accommodating just for the sake of it. Its using the squad. If we can make this formation work then it's a new option going forward. This kinda game is the perfect opportunity to try it while also getting players match fitness n sharpness up. 

4 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

We need wingers imo, playing 2 up or even the diamond, means most of our attacks are through the middle and teams pack their defence, so we need the width to create spaces in their defence.

Agreed. I think the diamond works but we lose natural width whilst also sacrificing a man in midfield as Defoe and Morelos won’t track back much 

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

Not a fan of that formation at all tbh.

Same mate. It could work today but I feel it becomes too congested and we have a cracking striker that leads the line perfectly himself allowing wingers to drag defenders wide in the 433.

Hopefully defoe gets a hattrick tho n I eat my words lol

We should be scuddin this shite 3-0 minimum regardless 

9 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Ffs a just typed that lol

I absolutely get the point people are making that the side should be the same as the livingston starting 11 however we must try and get morelos and defoe clicking. 

Its an ideal opportunity to go this way today. 

Really fancy us to give st mirren a real doing this afternoon.

4 minutes ago, dee9 said:

I absolutely get the point people are making that the side should be the same as the livingston starting 11 however we must try and get morelos and defoe clicking. 

na, think id rather have 3 points in the bag first, then tinker. 

13 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Agreed. I think the diamond works but we lose natural width whilst also sacrificing a man in midfield as Defoe and Morelos won’t track back much 

I'd stick with the 433 and the same 11 that started Livingston. 

But if the gaffer is insisting on Defoe and Morelos up front. It should be a flat 442. Allows us to keep that natural width that Kent and Candieas provide. 

10 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

na, think id rather have 3 points in the bag first, then tinker. 

Come on tae fuck mate if we can't beat st mirren in any formation then we are just aswell handing them the trophy today.

Won't get a better opportunity all season than today to get these 2 up and running together.

1 minute ago, dee9 said:

Come on tae fuck mate if we can't beat st mirren in any formation then we are just aswell handing them the trophy today.

Won't get a better opportunity all season than today to get these 2 up and running together.

why you want to put a weakened side out we start with our strongest side.  IMO defoe and Morelos will not work together as our strongest starting team, Morelos is better up top by himself. 

4 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

why you want to put a weakened side out we start with our strongest side.  IMO defoe and Morelos will not work together as our strongest starting team, Morelos is better up top by himself. 

Well the gaffer obviously doesn't think that or defoe simply wouldn't be here.

I just feel if ever there was a day for 442 it's today. I would play morelos up top away from home but at home no reason why we shouldn't be going with the 2 top.

Let's see how they get on today mate.

People seem to be writing then off as a partnership after 70 mins of competitive football.....madness.

6 minutes ago, dee9 said:

Well the gaffer obviously doesn't think that or defoe simply wouldn't be here.

I just feel if ever there was a day for 442 it's today. I would play morelos up top away from home but at home no reason why we shouldn't be going with the 2 top.

Let's see how they get on today mate.

People seem to be writing then off as a partnership after 70 mins of competitive football.....madness.

im not writing them off, i just think its a stronger lineup with Morelos up top by himself because he has two winger supporting him.  IMO it would be better to play 3-5-2 with the fullbacks getting up to support the front two if they go two up top. 

Stick to what works and stop fannying about to accommodate Davis and Defoe.

Against teams with fourteen behind the ball we need WIDTH FFS!

Bring them on when the game is won.

Arfield or Davis?

Morelos or Defoe?

Both times, the man in possession for me,

39 minutes ago, dee9 said:

Start with 4-3-3 and if you get 2 or 3 goals up then you bring on defoe either for Morelos if he's knackered or on a yellow or you get them playing together up top.

5 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Stick to what works and stop fannying about to accommodate Davis and Defoe.

Against teams with fourteen behind the ball we need WIDTH FFS!

Bring them on when the game is won.

Arfield or Davis?

Morelos or Defoe?

Both times, the man in possession for me,

Agree with your sentiment here.

If he is going to experiment, this is the best game to try things out IMO. He best be prepared to change it up in the first half if things aren't going well though.

Get the diamond to fuck if rumoured team selection is right, fucking changing our team selection at our own players detriment to accommodate loan players is baffling, Katic > Worral McCrorie > Davis and Morelos > Defoe, until these can prove they’re better than what we have then they shouldn’t be in the side simple as that.

Archived