Gerrard's benchmark.

backup

2 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Naw I'm saying Scotland was an exciting prosepct at the time for players if a club had the means to buy them, not the backwater it is now.

Allan McGregor to Scottish Football in 2019 is as big or as good as Chris Woods was to it in 1986

giphy.gif.190e8241bf1ab0214395c9d600508899.gif

26 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

That was the world we lived in, Souness had to contend with the tims and two other clubs who were well established on the European stage, hence why he could 1. Draw that talent and 2. Needed that level of talent

Here ends yer lesson

Looks like we have a genuine contender for the OP in the Spacker championship.

3 hours ago, plumbGER said:

No, that proves the squad does have the ability but they lack the consistency and desire to do it every week.

But why is that plumbger I just can't get my head around it. They are supposed to be fit enough so why they can't play at the same level for one or two 90 minute games a Week is beyond me. And as if you say it's also the lack of desire to do it then they are in the wrong job. 

19 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

But why is that plumbger I just can't get my head around it. They are supposed to be fit enough so why they can't play at the same level for one or two 90 minute games a Week is beyond me. And as if you say it's also the lack of desire to do it then they are in the wrong job. 

All manner of reasons can be given as to why they can't reach a certain level every single match, they have proved they can do it so their job and the managers job is to now try and do it consistently.

9 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

All manner of reasons can be given as to why they can't reach a certain level every single match, they have proved they can do it so their job and the managers job is to now try and do it consistently.

Spot on.

His problem is if he can't, then it's a race to replace them with ones who can before it costs him his job.

9 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Tbf . The scum never had a 7 year start on Souness

SG is still the man . Has to be for the next 2/3 years . No matter how painful that is for some .

We are getting closer . No doubts . I think that is down to them, not being as they were few years back

Our management team, are not making the inroads I was hoping for though

Our record domestically is still a disgrace .You can not deny this .

The only crumb for me . We have won an OF league game  for first time in 8 years and we beat the sheep recently at their place .

Other than the Euro run , it has been very poor fair indeed .

Spot on, but we're only 8pts behind. We have won the league on at least 2 occasions with being 8pts behind. They cunts celebrated like they had won the league on Sunday. They will slack of, and if we get our fucking act together we can win the league this year. If we don't, next year they will be going for 9 in a row. Albeit mostly free leagues that they have won. They will spend money next year if they win it this year. Its so important that we win it this year and we can if only the team could get their act together. 

12 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Spot on.

His problem is if he can't, then it's a race to replace them with ones who can before it costs him his job.

It's an awkward situation, Gerrard has been highly critical of his players on numerous occasions this season but very seldom do we ever hear him accept the responsibility. It's a team game and he is part of the team and if we are sitting in the stands witnessing that turgid pish like we were on Saturday then he needs to be able to change it to get the result. 

It's all very well saying the players didn't do this or that but we had players out and new players in do it was no guarantee that because it worked in training it would work in a competitive game. Every single person I spoke to at the game agreed from early on that Defoe was offering absolutely nothing up top on his own, he left it too late to change that particular problem and I thought Lafferty did ok when he came on but it was desperate stuff. Putting Middleton on and at first he was out left then switched to right when Candeias went off was horrific, the movement and link between him and Tav was amateurish at best. 

We had loads of people telling us how good a man manager Gerrard was earlier in the season, I bought into it as well but this constantly hanging the players out to dry can have a negative impact on their performance imo, weak players already go into their shells when the Ibrox crowd gets on their back, if they have an over-critical manager to deal with after the match it won't help matters. 

On Saturdays performance the players did need lambasted, but if you are doing that every time in public without shouldering any of the blame yourself then you will create problems.

I'm still behind Gerrard but he needs to wisen up and be prompt about it.

10 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

It's an awkward situation, Gerrard has been highly critical of his players on numerous occasions this season but very seldom do we ever hear him accept the responsibility. It's a team game and he is part of the team and if we are sitting in the stands witnessing that turgid pish like we were on Saturday then he needs to be able to change it to get the result. 

It's all very well saying the players didn't do this or that but we had players out and new players in do it was no guarantee that because it worked in training it would work in a competitive game. Every single person I spoke to at the game agreed from early on that Defoe was offering absolutely nothing up top on his own, he left it too late to change that particular problem and I thought Lafferty did ok when he came on but it was desperate stuff. Putting Middleton on and at first he was out left then switched to right when Candeias went off was horrific, the movement and link between him and Tav was amateurish at best. 

We had loads of people telling us how good a man manager Gerrard was earlier in the season, I bought into it as well but this constantly hanging the players out to dry can have a negative impact on their performance imo, weak players already go into their shells when the Ibrox crowd gets on their back, if they have an over-critical manager to deal with after the match it won't help matters. 

On Saturdays performance the players did need lambasted, but if you are doing that every time in public without shouldering any of the blame yourself then you will create problems.

Fair enough that.

14 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Most of that is spot on. Gerrard does seem like he could be the man for us, it's just a pity that he's learning on the job. This isn't the club for that type of manager. I wish he had a real job before us rather than just coming from non competitive job straight in to the Glasgow fish bowl. Gary McAlister was a good appointment by Gerrard. I shudder to think how he would handle it without a man with Gary's experience. 

2 hours ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Most of that is spot on. Gerrard does seem like he could be the man for us, it's just a pity that he's learning on the job. This isn't the club for that type of manager. I wish he had a real job before us rather than just coming from non competitive job straight in to the Glasgow fish bowl. Gary McAlister was a good appointment by Gerrard. I shudder to think how he would handle it without a man with Gary's experience. 

I'm still very much behind him but, as much as the players were rotten, his tactics (if there were any) were beyond pathetic and he deserves criticism for that. He said the players didn't play like Rangers players, well 7 of the starting 11 he signed so again he has to take some responsibility.

10 hours ago, left winger said:

Souness was still playing - that made him a greater draw.

English clubs were banned from Europe - easier to sign their top players.

The current financial disparity between us and the top English clubs didn’t exist.

Souness had an experienced assistant manager.

No one club was dominating Scottish football when Souness arrived.

Tremendously poor comparison.

OP hasn't a clue mate. Goes on about street cred and balance sheets give him a hardon. Probably a Partick Thostle supporter.

10 hours ago, backup said:

Incidentally, when Souness arrived the average attendance was 25,000, when he left it was 39,000, worth every penny wouldn't you say.

Of course - but there is no comparison between the resources Souness had and Gerard has, even more now money talks ( oh and Daid Holmes was the real architect of the ‘Sounes Revolution’ 

10 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Of course - but there is no comparison between the resources Souness had and Gerard has, even more now money talks ( oh and Daid Holmes was the real architect of the ‘Sounes Revolution’ 

In 5 seasons of those "scattercash halcyon days" Souness spent the princely sum of £16.4 million in the transfer market bringing £6 million in for a spend of £10.4 million.

SG has squandered near half that in less than a season.

Incidentally Robson was England captain when TB signed.

8 minutes ago, backup said:

In 5 seasons of those "scattercash halcyon days" Souness spent the princely sum of £16.4 million in the transfer market bringing £6 million in for a spend of £10.4 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

18 minutes ago, backup said:

Come on to fuck mate 😂

16.4 million back then was probably equilavant to 50+ million in today’s market. You are not seriously comparing these 2 markets???? Have a day off mate.

2 hours ago, backup said:

Aye the price of a pint was a few pennies back in the day. Terry Butcher played for Ipswich and Woods for Norwich. Players played for a lot less and we paid top of the range salaries.

I'm sorry but you just can't compare the two era's no matter how hard you try. Souness was brilliant for us - it remains to be seen what lasting impact SG will have but the only things they have in common was they were both great players, both Liverpool captains and both managed Rangers.  

EDIT: Just checked the price of a pint in 1988 (sort of half way) - Just under £1 a pint - Now a cheap pint is about £4 and city beers nearer £5 - That would roughly mean Gerrard should get a £40m - £50m net transfer budget to match Souness. We can but dream of such figures.

12 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Aye the price of a pint was a few pennies back in the day. Terry Butcher played for Ipswich and Woods for Norwich. Players played for a lot less and we paid top of the range salaries.

I'm sorry but you just can't compare the two era's no matter how hard you try. Souness was brilliant for us - it remains to be seen what lasting impact SG will have but the only things they have in common was they were both great players, both Liverpool captains and both managed Rangers.  

EDIT: Just checked the price of a pint in 1988 (sort of half way) - Just under £1 a pint - Now a cheap pint is about £4 and city beers nearer £5 - That would roughly mean Gerrard should get a £40m - £50m net transfer budget to match Souness. We can but dream of such figures.

Souness net spend first season £1.8 million  equates to £5.3 million today, SG is somewhat ahead of that £8mill +, still Souness’s name was probably a clincher.

That SG has spent unwisely is a major concern.

34 minutes ago, backup said:

Souness net spend first season £1.8 million  equates to £5.3 million today, SG is somewhat ahead of that £8mill +, still Souness’s name was probably a clincher.

Just for the record (using my rough maths) a 4 times multiplier of £1.8m is £7.2m not £5.3m (and if a pint is now £5 the multiple becomes £9m!) - And many would say SG had to do more with that cash in terms of squad and also football economics has changed a LOT!.

Sorry but you just SHOULD NOT TRY to compare the two eras - but it sounds like you just want to stick the knife in.

The bit in bold 🤣

3 hours ago, backup said:

:lol: fuck off

59 minutes ago, backup said:

:lol:  again, fuck off