50 Greatest Rangers Goals

Ace

For me, the winner s DJ scoring the winner at the 1971 league cup final.  A great header but the quality of the goal paled in significance to the victory itself  --- then as now we had gone through a long dry spell winning the grand total of fuck all for 9 years which made the significance of that goal (win) massive.  

55 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Surprised Boyd's volley from Davis' pass against Partick (I think) wasn't in there.

That goal was ridiculously good. 

What goal got number 1? I listened to the pod but turned it off after Steins goal I'm Barcelona in '72 came in at 43 or whatever it was. 

5 hours ago, jamess said:

Great watch.  The Bobby Russel PSV and the Cooper Hampden 'keepy uppy' goal should have been higher ranked,  but what a selection of goals.

I was lucky enough to be at both games.

1st ever European away game as a 13 year old.

Went on the Clarkston bus, remember it left from a hotel/pub beside a big roundabout.

Remember some real characters on that bus,  wee Alan (Gallus wee guy who sold UDA/UVF badges outside the Centenary stand) Big Alan (hilarious tall guy who was in the Black skull FB) and big Gary Lynch (RIP)

Great days.....

3 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

For me, the winner s DJ scoring the winner at the 1971 league cup final.  A great header but the quality of the goal paled in significance to the victory itself  --- then as now we had gone through a long dry spell winning the grand total of fuck all for 9 years which made the significance of that goal (win) massive.  

Fuck me mate, a said the same earlier in the thread. Auld guys think alike. McCloy to Jardine to McClean to Johnstone , GOAL. I was nine dancing aboot like a lunitic.

8 hours ago, VB1965 said:

I was lucky enough to be at both games.

1st ever European away game as a 13 year old.

Went on the Clarkston bus, remember it left from a hotel/pub beside a big roundabout.

Remember some real characters on that bus,  wee Alan (Gallus wee guy who sold UDA/UVF badges outside the Centenary stand) Big Alan (hilarious tall guy who was in the Black skull FB) and big Gary Lynch (RIP)

Great days.....

McDonald hotel at Eastwood Toll, mate

And the Wallace goal against Dortmund was our best ever constructed goal IMO but I just love wee Tam’s pass for Russell’s goal.

Bobby Russel against PSv we won 3-2 in 79 was in football books and magazines about how to score the perfect breakaway goal, I also think that was PSV's first home defeat in 5 years. 

Lets hope we have 1 or 2 to add tomorrow as any goal against the filth is a great goal in my eyes. 

10 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Was it not 1970? I thought that was the first cup final I was born for I would have been 4 months old.  But as you said that was a springboard  for us and then my favourite player big Tam scored the winner 3 years later in the centerary Scottish cup final with a Rangers team and the majority of that squad would go on and win the treble in 76 & 78.

Does DJ's record still stand as the youngest scorer in a cup final? 

16 hours ago, jamess said:

Strange that this great game has practically no video record.  Same for the same era game when we were 2 down to timmy at half time at home and won 3-2. One of my favourite games.

The match was only covered by Drybroughs own film crew, hence the crappy angle for Coops goal.

The 3-2 match in Sept 1977 was not covered by TV as there was a dispute between the TV companies and Scottish Clubs about the size of the advertising letters on the front of the jerseys (Hibs using Bukta was 2 inches too big) so we never got to see what was probably Rangers best ever comeback against celtic.

16 hours ago, GOAT said:

My only disappointment is cutting the goals short, the fans celebrating and the commentary adds to the moment.  I know it would add more time to the video but brilliant none the less. 

understand what you are saying, but I limited each goal to roughly 15 secs, adding another 10 per clip for celebrations would take it to almost 20 mins which I think is too long.

8 hours ago, Copland bear said:

Was it not 1970? I thought that was the first cup final I was born for I would have been 4 months old.  But as you said that was a springboard  for us and then my favourite player big Tam scored the winner 3 years later in the centerary Scottish cup final with a Rangers team and the majority of that squad would go on and win the treble in 76 & 78.

Does DJ's record still stand as the youngest scorer in a cup final? 

1970-71 season but you are correct the final was played in 1970.   I was young, innocent and blootered