Retrogaming

miracle

23 hours ago, RFC55 said:

Lads anyone know what the best handheld consoles with the large catalogue of retro games are?

there was a company doing it in the uk but they ended up bumping people 

I bought a steam deck recently and loaded it with loads of old Nintendo games. Easy to find and download, and easy to install using emudeck.

1 hour ago, RFC55 said:

Done some more digging and the Ps vista seems good for the emulators but it can’t run ps2 I don’t think 

Yeah PS2 is a pretty demanding emulator. The Vita you need to buy quite a bit of extras to get it to work too, be as well with a regular PSP if going down the Sony route.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/12/2023 at 08:17, Don81 said:

Just picked up one of these and it's brilliant for the price. Up to psp emulation in your pocket for £75. The build quality is surprisingly solid for a budget handheld as well. 

Screenshot_20231230-081026.png

Just bought the non-plus version, thanks for the heads up

22 hours ago, EngineeRFC said:

Just bought the non-plus version, thanks for the heads up

I have the non-plus version and I think it's incredible for the money (often on Aliexpress for US$40 with coupon codes).  Only thing it was missing was original Nintendo roms, and they were easy enough to copy and paste in with a card reader. 

On 17/02/2024 at 12:27, blaudrup said:

I have the non-plus version and I think it's incredible for the money (often on Aliexpress for US$40 with coupon codes).  Only thing it was missing was original Nintendo roms, and they were easy enough to copy and paste in with a card reader. 

What emulators are built in? Might have a look. I have an Evercade, but you have to wait and see what games become available.

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

What emulators are built in? Might have a look. I have an Evercade, but you have to wait and see what games become available.

How is the evercade? Quite like the idea of having a few boxed 'retro' collections. :lol:

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Not sure if the forum allows spreadsheets, but the 64Gb card games list is attached - that one comes with 5000 games - PS1, SNES (aka SFC), Sega Mega Drive, Arcade/Mame, all flavours of Game Boy and more.

Folk seem keen on changing the OS, but I haven't, I'm happy with it out of the box.

There are lots of higher spec versions, but for the price this seems like a wonder to me. 

They have some new RG556 with joysticks coming out in March for PS2 type emulation.

RG35XX-64GB-Games-List.xlsx

7 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

How is the evercade? Quite like the idea of having a few boxed 'retro' collections. :lol:

It's really good to be honest. The emulation is spot on, there are some really good collections and reasonably priced. 

I got the first generation handheld and it's a solid bit of kit. I don't know what the console is like, but it gets good reviews.

6 hours ago, blaudrup said:

Not sure if the forum allows spreadsheets, but the 64Gb card games list is attached - that one comes with 5000 games - PS1, SNES (aka SFC), Sega Mega Drive, Arcade/Mame, all flavours of Game Boy and more.

Folk seem keen on changing the OS, but I haven't, I'm happy with it out of the box.

There are lots of higher spec versions, but for the price this seems like a wonder to me. 

They have some new RG556 with joysticks coming out in March for PS2 type emulation.

RG35XX-64GB-Games-List.xlsx 126.96 kB · 1 download

That's brilliant for the price. If you can hook that up to a tv screen, it's definitely something i'll be getting.

20 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

That's brilliant for the price. If you can hook that up to a tv screen, it's definitely something i'll be getting.

It has a micro HDMI port, so it can.  The 'plus' is only about 10 pounds more, I'm not sure what's better about it, but probably worth a look.

the absolute best handheld emulators are (IMO)

AYN Odin 2 (£220ish) Android so anything up to PS2 with a good amount of switch

Steam Deck (£200+ used, OLED £479 new) Steam OS, can play anything up to & including some 360/PS3, Switch etc

Retroid Pocket 4 (around £170 shipped) Android, lower spec than ODIN 2 but will still do everything up to & including PS2

if your looking for something cheap to play old school up to GBA/PS1, Miyoo Mini Plus or Ambernic RG35XX are probably your best bets.

• 2 months later...

thought id update this as I picked up an Anbernic RG35XX H recently. they were as low as £23 on the Tiktok shop (something the wife uses) I missed the boat on that but picked one up for £35 on ebay, brand new (even had the invoice from Tiktok shop :lol:)

its a 3.5" screen, so perfectly pocketable. Linux based, and copes well with anything up to (and including) PS1, PSP and Dreamcast.

Really good bit of kit. I actually find myself playing it more than my Steam Deck because its so small. Was playing 007 Goldeneye last night and the latest firmware update for it has made it play great.

So for anyone looking in to getting into retro games and wants to play anything PSP and below, id highly recommend it.