PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

22 hours ago, miracle said:

What are we talking budget wise to build a gaming pc these days?  Last time I built a pc i spent about £500 just to play Bioshock 2

Depends on what you want to play on it mate. 

On 26/07/2020 at 12:23, miracle said:

What are we talking budget wise to build a gaming pc these days?  Last time I built a pc i spent about £500 just to play Bioshock 2

So many variables.

• What do you want to play?
  • What's your expectations for performance? 1080 60fps at ultra? 
  • Do you have a monitor or other parts you can salvage

You can be anywhere between afew hundred to thousands.

A decent lower end system will still set you back around 500

• 2 weeks later...

@Jamie0202 Alright mate, see if I wanted to slightly boost my performance on halo in terms of a GPU - which one would you recommend for like £80-100 that's going to be a noticable upgrade from this pretty guff GTX710 that was included. I'm just wanting less of the choppy / general motion blur or slowness to disappear and get some smoothness to tide over until making a bigger purchase.

I know it's not exactly pushing the boat out or life-changing, but at 8GB RAM, I'm guessing it's not the RAM that is the main issue handling halo as it is an old remade game that used to play on much less and I'm only playing it on 60fps also. Cheers

10 hours ago, CR3 said:

@Jamie0202 Alright mate, see if I wanted to slightly boost my performance on halo in terms of a GPU - which one would you recommend for like £80-100 that's going to be a noticable upgrade from this pretty guff GTX710 that was included. I'm just wanting less of the choppy / general motion blur or slowness to disappear and get some smoothness to tide over until making a bigger purchase.

I know it's not exactly pushing the boat out or life-changing, but at 8GB RAM, I'm guessing it's not the RAM that is the main issue handling halo as it is an old remade game that used to play on much less and I'm only playing it on 60fps also. Cheers

I know my way around a PC a bit mate but not a major expert. That said I think a gtx 750ti would be a decent upgrade for your machine. It should smash halo and at around £30 2nd hand is pretty low risk. Just remember it may struggle on some more modern games. I'd be interested to hear others views as well. @Iakona

6 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

I know my way around a PC a bit mate but not a major expert. That said I think a gtx 750ti would be a decent upgrade for your machine. It should smash halo and at around £30 2nd hand is pretty low risk. Just remember it may struggle on some more modern games. I'd be interested to hear others views as well. @Iakona

would rather add more on top of that, something at 30 pre owned in the GTX700's still sounds very underwhelming.  I want a marked improvement if poss.

47 minutes ago, CR3 said:

would rather add more on top of that, something at 30 pre owned in the GTX700's still sounds very underwhelming.  I want a marked improvement if poss.

A 750ti is a huge improvement over a 710. 

I'd still like to hear other opinions on it though. 

6 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

A 750ti is a huge improvement over a 710. 

I'd still like to hear other opinions on it though. 

A 4GB 960 wouldn't even be stretching too far in terms of being happy to fling 80 at it? So, would that not be a lot better?

7 minutes ago, CR3 said:

A 4GB 960 wouldn't even be stretching too far in terms of being happy to fling 80 at it? So, would that not be a lot better?

It's really up to yourself. Obviously it's a faster gpu but as you've said it's more expensive because of that.

There are the power requirements to consider as well. It's recommended that you have at least a 400W PSU to power a 960. A 750 ti requires a minimum 300W. What is the rating of your current PSU?

Lastly you need to remember that the more powerful your GPU, the more your CPU is likely to hold it back in certain games. 

8 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

@CR3

I'd agree a 750ti would be a decent enough upgrade, price vs performance it smashes the 960 for value. If you're going for the 960 it's an extra 20-25% extra power for at the least.. double the price. Regardless with a 4th gen i5 I wouldn't bother with anything beyond a 960. It's bottleneck county after that. I'd say get the 750ti and pocket the extra money, saving it for a bigger upgrade across the board

Double check the power supply before you buy anything though.  The GT710 doesn't even require a PCI connector and will quite happily run on a 250w PSU. GTX 960 on the other hand requires at minimum a good quality 400W PSU and a 6 or 8 pin PCI connector - depending on the card.

1 minute ago, Iakona said:

@CR3

I'd agree a 750ti would be a decent enough upgrade, price vs performance it smashes the 960 for value. If you're going for the 960 it's an extra 20-25% extra power for at the least.. double the price. Regardless with a 4th gen i5 I wouldn't bother with anything beyond a 960. It's bottleneck county after that.

Double check the power supply before you buy anything though.  The GT710 doesn't even require a PCI connector and will quite happily run on a 250w PSU. GTX 960 on the other hand requires at minimum a good quality 400W PSU and a 6 or 8 pin PCI connector - depending on the card.

in rudimentary terms, I've just got an oddly shaped fucker of a kettle lead going straight in as the power to the computer. Best way to determine Wattage? normally showing on a sticker on hardware at the back, or can a program determine?

7 minutes ago, CR3 said:

in rudimentary terms, I've just got an oddly shaped fucker of a kettle lead going straight in as the power to the computer. Best way to determine Wattage? normally showing on a sticker on hardware at the back, or can a program determine?

You'll probably need to open up the case as most manufacturers will put the model number/wattage on the bottom or on the side of the PSU.

There should also be a cable coming out the PSU with 6 or 8 pins on top, usually says PCI-E on the connector.

On 09/08/2020 at 14:16, Brian Fantana said:

Just to say thanks again for all the advice guys, wee man loves his pc, bizarrely he got some flight simulator game like I had in the 90’s that he likes more than COD 😂 

there's a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 game coming out this month that was showcased at the last E3 and it's basically got like a 1:1 scale of the world in 4k and looks fucking unbelievable. Dunno what kinda PC runs this bad boy on 4k Ultra graphics. Apparently you can fly to your hoose:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Iakona said:

So that 3070 is looking very tempting...

Won't be a day 1 purchase, infact it will be next year before I upgrade... But what an upgrade it will be! Also interested to see how the inevitable 3060 shapes up..

RIP to anyone who payed >£1200 for a 2080ti less than 2 years ago to find out that it’s outperformed by a <£500 3070 😂

ouch.

On 14/08/2020 at 11:59, CR3 said:

there's a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 game coming out this month that was showcased at the last E3 and it's basically got like a 1:1 scale of the world in 4k and looks fucking unbelievable. Dunno what kinda PC runs this bad boy on 4k Ultra graphics. Apparently you can fly to your hoose:lol:

That's one game I'll no be getting, I'm sick of flying in real life and tbh I've never been able to relax on a plane. 

On 14/09/2020 at 16:03, Swally said:

That's one game I'll no be getting, I'm sick of flying in real life and tbh I've never been able to relax on a plane. 

As someone that studies aero engineering, it gives me a stauner. Once the modders start adding in jets it will be even better, formation flying with a flock of F-18s ooft.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to replacing the stock cooler on my 8350.

Did originally have an H80i but I broke that, then used the stock cooler for 6mths. Made the computer sound like a small aircraft, constantly hitting 5000+rpm underload. Finally installed a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo and it's so quiet compared the the stock fans :lol: