What do you think of us tactically?

KeyserSoze

16 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

I thought we toiled to score mate, no doubt about our superiority, we need to find a better way to break down stubborn defences.

We had great possession stats, it appears accept their keeper had a great game, we missed easy chances including a penalty, failed to shoot when it seemed easy option and made wrong decisions at times. It was 2 going on 4 or 5.

If we accept the above, it would appear that chances were made, ie our tactics and style of play were successful up to the final decision making/ execution of that decision. Which is rustiness or lack of understanding / cohesion which comes through time on games and on the training ground.

Doing what we do better is needed much more than changing what we're doing imo.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We had great possession stats, it appears accepted their keeper had a great game, we missed easy chances including a penalty, failed to shoot when it seemed easy option and made wrong decisions at times It was 2 going on 4 or 5.

If we accept the above, it would appear that chances were made, ie our tactics and style of play were successful up to the final decision making/ execution of that decision. Which is rustiness or lack of understanding / cohesion which comes through time on games and on the training ground.

You explained it better than me mate :tu:

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We had great possession stats, it appears accept their keeper had a great game, we missed easy chances including a penalty, failed to shoot when it seemed easy option and made wrong decisions at times. It was 2 going on 4 or 5.

Agree it could so easily have been 4 or 5 easily however we could so easily have conceded as well with that chance that was easier to score than miss

I'd say go back to what worked best at the end of last season - the diamond.

We can only learn from what is infront of us, maybe playing the best possible opponent or a world class team per say in pre season would have been good to see where the real gaps are but might have dented some ego's along the way.

Last night we had our wing backs as wingers first half with three 10's and as much as its good to see Aribo, Arfield & Ojo all playing - one may have to be sacrified for the diamond and Aribo's looking like he could nick Scotty's jersey.

1 minute ago, rabc10000 said:

Agree it could so easily have been 4 or 5 easily however we could so easily have conceded as well with that chance that was easier to score than miss

Yep, not denying the odd errors that gave them some chances. We didnt look strong defending corners, and individual errors plus loss of shape chasing a third could have been costly. But again I'd question whether that is down to tactics, ie what the gaffer wants and players are drilled to do at training, or whether it's down to poor play and not being 100% yet. Given what I saw and what Gerrard said post match, I'd guess it is the latter.

11 minutes ago, CR3 said:

I'd say go back to what worked best at the end of last season - the diamond.

We can only learn from what is infront of us, maybe playing the best possible opponent or a world class team per say in pre season would have been good to see where the real gaps are but might have dented some ego's along the way.

Last night we had our wing backs as wingers first half with three 10's and as much as its good to see Aribo, Arfield & Ojo all playing - one may have to be sacrified for the diamond and Aribo's looking like he could nick Scotty's jersey.

We never played the diamond last season, apart from Killie

28 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Yep, not denying the odd errors that gave them some chances. We didnt look strong defending corners, and individual errors plus loss of shape chasing a third could have been costly. But again I'd question whether that is down to tactics, ie what the gaffer wants and players are drilled to do at training, or whether it's down to poor play and not being 100% yet. Given what I saw and what Gerrard said post match, I'd guess it is the latter.

I'm quite happy to wait till after the game vs the scum before making any judgements at all. As it stands I see so much from last season in our play but as you pointed out that could so easily be a case of not 100% mixed with some poor play 

25 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

We never played the diamond last season, apart from Killie

I'm disagreeing here tbh. Killie was the only one that wasn't imo with a different system and players being rested because it was last game of the season.

IMO every game on the win streak with Morelos banned had Defoe up top and the diamond of: Davis, Jack, Kamara, Arfield

How else did you see those 4 playing (none were moved out wide, Gerrard confirmed that)

1 minute ago, CR3 said:

I'm disagreeing here tbh. Killie was the only one that wasn't imo with a different system and players being rested because it was last game of the season.

IMO every game on the win streak with Morelos banned had Defoe up top including the last OF had the diamond of: Davis, Jack, Kamara, Arfield

How else did you see those 4 playing (none were moved out wide, Gerrard confirmed that)

The diamond was played away to Killie after the break.

We played 4321 with Arfield and Kent/Candeias behind the striker

Our two outside forwards no longer play as wingers and that won't change when Kent arrives. Our full backs are relied upon as wide men. I would even go as far to say Arfield was found more inside than Morelos at times last night.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

The diamond was played away to Killie after the break.

We played 4321 with Arfield and Kent/Candeias behind the striker

Defoe

Kent                Arfield

Kamara           Jack         ^

Davis                   ^

Flan     Katic      Goldson      Tav

Wes 

Maybe both aren't necessarily wrong then mate, seen the last OF more like this, looks unbalanced with Tav pushing up right  when he could and Kent mainly LW with extra license to roam. Fact is we didn't have a RW until Candeias was brought on really.

2 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Defoe

Kent                Arfield

Kamara           Jack         ^

Davis                   ^

Flan     Katic      Goldson      Tav

Wes 

Maybe both aren't necessarily wrong then mate, seen the last OF more like this, looks unbalanced with Tav pushing up right  when he could and Kent mainly LW with extra license to roam. Fact is we didn't have a RW until Candeias was brought on really.

The King

Tavernier Goldson Katic Flanagan

Jack Davis Kamara

Arfield Kent

Defoe.

They played more central than wide, imo.

2 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

Tbf it was caused by lapses of concentration and that's the case for all the chances they created all stemmed from our mistakes.

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

It’s a general discussion about our out ball not specifically about last night

Even then I think people have been massively overreacting to what was a bad performance against Blackburn.

We have no problems creating chances or dominating possession and defensively we have been solid in pre season. The main area we struggle in is finishing chances. If we can become more consistent at that then we will be right up there at the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Even then I think people are massively over reacting to what was a bad performance against Blackburn.

We have no problems creating chances or dominating possession and defensively we have been solid in pre season. The main area we struggle in is finishing chances. If we can become more consistent at that then we will be right up there at the end of the season.

Our play out from the back is just fine with Edmundson only enhancing it. Davis and Kamara are great at dropping back and moving it forward. Wouldn't like to see it on here when we concede a goal in a competitive match.

OP demonstrating the usual Rangers supporters lack of patience. Our central defenders are getting used to each other - our midfield also has new players and they are not sure what to expect from the central defenders.    Give it time.

That said we do seem to drop our overall tempo when Arfeld is not playing and Jack for me offers nothing going forward.  

1 hour ago, Orangeclement said:

Tbf it was caused by lapses of concentration and that's the case for all the chances they created all stemmed from our mistakes.

Lapses of concentration or not there were so many similarities to last season its uncanny. Dominated play over 20 shots on goal etc. The saving grace is they are a very, very poor team and in the next round we won't be afforded that luxury. 

However as I said I shall wait till after we play those cunts and 5 or 6 league games in before making any rash judgement on the team

2 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Gerrard's tactics are spot on, just the execution can be found wanting.

Still too ponderous at the back with square passes and Tav and Goldson the worst of it  and overplaying the ball in front of goal.

Penetration is what we want and finishing it off. 👌