Bury and Bolton’s EFL place

GOAT

Can't see it happening.

On football terms alone I think it could be practical. Financially a no brainer, and prestige wise, we are two of Europe's most famous clubs.

Plenty of precedents for clubs in Britain and Europe playing  in a different countries' leagues too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_clubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country

But (and it's a couple of huge buts, as well as some smaller ones):

Our non football cultures would put most of England off, rightly or wrongly, as would previous crowd and support troubles, stretching back to the eighties.

We would be seen by top Premier teams in England as unwanted competition for  European places, and we would be seen by the lower Premier teams and ambituous Championship teams as potential competition for Premier places.

The old chestnut of UEFA and FIFA using it as an excuse to amalgamate the 4 British national associations in to a UK association, as they would like to restrictict our influence in decisions and votes. I suspect the individual British FAs would be against it for this reason too.

Quite simply would be great, but for above reasons unlikely. 

However mid term we should be looking at a "European Group league" or local "NW Europe League" as  a possibility.  This for me is the best bet to keep in the upper reaches of European football and be able to join up when  the elitist and richest teams break away from their own domestic leagues to form a tiered structure of about 40 European  top level teams based solely on self intersest.   

3 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Literally cannot happen under EFL rules which were changed to stop that happening after MK Dons bought Wimbledon.

Would that have prevented Charles Green's plan for us to move in to the lower tiers of English football back in 2013 ?

Don't remember it being mentioned at the time. 

Slightly off topic. Here's an article I found on Google about us and Bury and fucking Charles Green. And another Sun reporter easily bullshitted. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/football/702528/its-bury-Rangers/

To their credit Bury at the time disclaimed it straight away.

https://metro.co.uk/2012/06/21/bury-quick-to-rubbish-suggestion-of-Rangers-buyout-475182/

3 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Would that have prevented Charles Green's plan for us to move in to the lower tiers of English football back in 2013 ?

Don't remember it being mentioned at the time. 

Slightly off topic. Here's an article I found on Google about us and Bury and fucking Charles Green. And another Sun reporter easily bullshitted. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/football/702528/its-bury-Rangers/

To their credit Bury at the time disclaimed it straight away.

https://metro.co.uk/2012/06/21/bury-quick-to-rubbish-suggestion-of-Rangers-buyout-475182/

Yeah you can’t just buy an English club etc and do that.

You can’t even change the name without permission. Hull City tried to change their name to Hull Tigers a couple of years ago and the FA refused.

7 hours ago, GOAT said:

As sad as it is, what I want to know is why aren’t us and the bheggers asking the football league if we can take the two clubs positions?

ok we’ll probably be told no, but surely it can’t hurt to ask the question?  

Because the 40 teams who are trying to gain entry through the conference leagues would object....England is only ever gonnae be if we are invited into an exclusive English/British set up....I won't hold my breath mind you

6 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Because the 40 teams who are trying to gain entry through the conference leagues would object....England is only ever gonnae be if we are invited into an exclusive English/British set up....I won't hold my breath mind you

The 40 teams in the conference wouldn’t have a say, they aren’t in the football league. 

9 minutes ago, GOAT said:

The 40 teams in the conference wouldn’t have a say, they aren’t in the football league. 

Disagree as they promote and relegate to and fro....both leagues, they are under the same governing body which is the problem

5 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Disagree as they promote and relegate to and fro....both leagues, they are under the same governing body which is the problem

But the football league is only the members of the championship, league one and league two.  Only it’s members have the say. Conference league teams aren’t FL members unless they reach league two. 

4 minutes ago, GOAT said:

But the football league is only the members of the championship, league one and league two.  Only it’s members have the say. Conference league teams aren’t FL members unless they reach league two. 

Yeah again I get what you are saying but any team that got relegated would claim right to that place.....the premier league is the only route in as it is run separately....I always believed that sky would have pushed for a British league format that would have seen us gain entry...I can't see it now if I'm being honest 

5 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Yeah again I get what you are saying but any team that got relegated would claim right to that place.....the premier league is the only route in as it is run separately....I always believed that sky would have pushed for a British league format that would have seen us gain entry...I can't see it now if I'm being honest 

But they are members of the national league and not the football league so they don’t have the right to vote or have their say, being relegated so to that. 😂

anyway doesn’t Mayer now anyway, not that it did, but Bolton have been saved apparently.

It’s not so much all the English being dead against us joining ( which a lot of them are) It’s more to do with sky wanting fuck all to do with broadcasting sectarianism or being associated with it in any way, shape or form. The EPL is a clean cut brand and they would never risk the negative PR.

Dunno if you’ve seen the UEFA drama right now, they wouldn’t touch us with the shitey end of the shitiest stick.

Dont get me wrong I’d be all for it but you’ve more chance of the pope and the UEFA president dueting  the billy boys as the halftime entertainment at ibrox the morra night.

5 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

It’s not so much all the English being dead against us joining ( which a lot of them are) It’s more to do with sky wanting fuck all to do with broadcasting sectarianism or being associated with it in any way, shape or form. The EPL is a clean cut brand and they would never risk the negative PR.

Dunno if you’ve seen the UEFA drama right now, they wouldn’t touch us with the shitey end of the shitiest stick.

Dont get me wrong I’d be all for it but you’ve more chance of the pope and the UEFA president dueting  the billy boys as the halftime entertainment at ibrox the morra night.

Don’t talk absolute shite.  As if sky give a fuck what we, celtic, or any team down south sing.  All they give a fuck about is the money.  😂😂😂 

Just now, GOAT said:

Don’t talk absolute shite.  As if sky give a fuck what we, celtic, or any team down south sing.  All they give a fuck about is the money.  😂😂😂 

It’s no something  we will ever need to worry about cause it’s no happening.

8 hours ago, GOAT said:

As sad as it is, what I want to know is why aren’t us and the bheggers asking the football league if we can take the two clubs positions?

ok we’ll probably be told no, but surely it can’t hurt to ask the question?  

I had been thinking the same late last week. 

15 years ago joining the EPL eventually would have been a great thing for us. Now I'm of the belief we are as well staying where we are. Even though in Europe terms it's going to be an achievment getting out the groups of the Europa league  nevermind the Champions League groups. 

Too many folk seem to think that a couple of years EPL money would get us challenging within a few years. Maybe 15 years ago this was 100pc achievable. You just need to look at teams in the EPL that all get these millions. Nowadays it's the teams with massive money behind them outwith the TV money that brings the success, 

You just need to look at Arsenal as a prime example. EPL TV cash and a massive home support paying a fortune and they still can't win fuck all. 

4 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

I had been thinking the same late last week. 

15 years ago joining the EPL eventually would have been a great thing for us. Now I'm of the belief we are as well staying where we are. Even though in Europe terms it's going to be an achievment getting out the groups of the Europa league  nevermind the Champions League groups. 

Too many folk seem to think that a couple of years EPL money would get us challenging within a few years. Maybe 15 years ago this was 100pc achievable. You just need to look at teams in the EPL that all get these millions. Nowadays it's the teams with massive money behind them outwith the TV money that brings the success, 

You just need to look at Arsenal as a prime example. EPL TV cash and a massive home support paying a fortune and they still can't win fuck all. 

To be fair arsenal have won trophies in the past few years, ok the FA cup and while it's not winning the league or the CL its still silverware. Arsenals problem is Kroenke who isn't one for opening his own wallet. It's all a moot point the chat of how we would do in England, it's not going to happen, give me regular European football than slogging it up through the English league system to get to the so called promised land of the EPL

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah you can’t just buy an English club etc and do that.

You can’t even change the name without permission. Hull City tried to change their name to Hull Tigers a couple of years ago and the FA refused.

After what happened with Wimbledon relocating to MK and all the fall out from that, the EFL decided not to allow that to happen again. Rightly so.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

But they are members of the national league and not the football league so they don’t have the right to vote or have their say, being relegated so to that. 😂

anyway doesn’t Mayer now anyway, not that it did, but Bolton have been saved apparently.

But we are members of none either....so try and become a member and jump the queue...it ain't happening...

Bolton are supposedly safe and Bury are now in negotiations to save them....they are either out or not😪😂😂

24 minutes ago, MisterC said:

To be fair arsenal have won trophies in the past few years, ok the FA cup and while it's not winning the league or the CL its still silverware. Arsenals problem is Kroenke who isn't one for opening his own wallet. It's all a moot point the chat of how we would do in England, it's not going to happen, give me regular European football than slogging it up through the English league system to get to the so called promised land of the

Arsenal have won a few FA cups this decade which in a sense distracts from my point. But as you say Kroenke is holding them back by not opening his wallet. Down there now to achieve any success you need close to 500m to get a team on the pitch capable of challenging for the title plus a wage bill getting close to half that sum every season that needs funded. Which means more money availible rather than just gate and TV money. 

Its a shite situation but iv a feeling Manchester is out last great achievement on the european stage.