Docherty/King

CoatbridgeBear

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we would have seen a bit more from King by now so find that a little strange. I know he's here because he's an EPL winner and will give experience to the squad and maybe help the younger players but it doesn't make sense to get him in just for that reason alone.

Maybe Gerrard isn't impressed by his playing abilities.

I'm sure it was said that King was a financial no brainer of a signing. I'm assuming we're paying nothing /pennies for him, so no real cost. If he can find a way to break into the team then for next to no outlay he could do us a turn. Just seems that he's miles away from doing that so all hes doing is taking a squad jersey and getting fit with us.

Docherty had offers to leave which would have made us profit on him, but told SG he wanted to stay and fight for his chance. Unfortunately for him, others are simply better, I'd imagine he'll be away Jan / summer to an English League 1 level team.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'm sure it was said that King was a financial no brainer of a signing. I'm assuming we're paying nothing /pennies for him, so no real cost. If he can find a way to break into the team then for next to no outlay he could do us a turn. Just seems that he's miles away from doing that so all hes doing is taking a squad jersey and getting fit with us.

Docherty had offers to leave which would have made us profit on him, but told SG he wanted to stay and fight for his chance. Unfortunately for him, others are simply better, I'd imagine he'll be away Jan / summer to an English League 1 level team.

Offers from who?

7 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Can he fill in at RB or LB?

Two positions Gerrard seems to be blind to in terms of needing cover 

Halliday and Flanagan are out of contract at the end of the season.  I'd like to see Flanagan get a new contract.  But, maybe Gerrard plans to let both go and replace them with a couple of attacking full-backs to compete with Barisic and Tavernier.  Time will tell.

Just now, TMB said:

Halliday and Flanagan are out of contract at the end of the season.  I'd like to see Flanagan get a new contract.  But, maybe Gerrard plans to let both go and replace them with a couple of attacking full-backs to compete with Barisic and Tavernier.  Time will tell.

I'd imagine based on what has been said this week about youth development, that our youths are being steered towards being the new squad fillers like Halliday / Flanagan with a view to ultimately getting them into the 1st team. Hope so anyways.

If King was good enough he would be playing.  I imagine he'll be sent back to Leicester in January.

Docherty should be loaned out again, or if we can get a decent offer for him in January, just let the lad go.  

3 minutes ago, AljayBoy said:

All it takes is an injury to Jack or Davis and we'll see them (on the bench) soon enough - it's just good fortune that in the centre of midfield we've not been too bad with injuries.

Better having them and not needing them, than needing them and not having them. 

No doubt we will see more of them after tee winter break, especially if we are still in Europe. 

In a perfect world we'd get rid of the likes of Docherty, King, Grezda, Firth, Halliday, Foderingham and bring in some of the youths that are playing well at under 18 level or give guys like Robbie McCrorie a chance. I was reading that Billy Gilmour basically set his family up for life when he signed for Chelsea so we need to start showing that there is a pathway available to the first team for youths. This would be an extra bargaining chip as we can't compete with the likes of City, Chelsea and Liverpool etc for wages.

2 minutes ago, B1872 said:

In a perfect world we'd get rid of the likes of Docherty, King, Grezda, Firth, Halliday, Foderingham and bring in some of the youths that are playing well at under 18 level or give guys like Robbie McCrorie a chance. I was reading that Billy Gilmour basically set his family up for life when he signed for Chelsea so we need to start showing that there is a pathway available to the first team for youths. This would be an extra bargaining chip as we can't compete with the likes of City, Chelsea and Liverpool etc for wages.

We apparently offered the same money to Gilmour.

Archived