Best Ever Rangers 11

Spencer65

I know there will be supporters from different eras....I'm nearly 60 and stretch back a bit but interested to hear who people would pick instead of my team:-

Goram

Jardine Gough Greig Caldow

laudrup Barry Ferguson Gascoigne Cooper

Hately McCoist

Not easy to leave out Butcher, willie Henderson and Jim Baxter but there it is..... all opinions welcome😊

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too hard for me to think of at the moment, but I'll give it a go from who I have seen in my life time

Goram

Hutton (when we sold him) Gough Amo (after he lost the armband) Numan

DeBoer, Barry, Albertz

Laudrup McCann (or Lovenkrands)

McCoist

(Subs)

Klos (think McGregor may have finally hit the same level though?)

Reyna 

Boumsong

Kanchelskis

Mendes

Boyd

Prso 

Hatley.

I know rmthats 8 subs, but I don't care😁

2 minutes ago, Spencer65 said:

If we win the league Alfie might get close but no gascoigne or cooper?

I just couldn't leave out Baxter mate. As great as Gasgoine was, I don't think he even played 100 games for us. Leaving Cooper out is hard but Laudrup was one of my favs. I'm no quite as old as you but no far away 😉 

19 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Goram

Henderson   Ferguson   Baxter  laudrup

McCoist     Morelos

As above apart from Hately instead of Morelos and Jim Forrest instead of McCoist. Only other possible was Kai Johansen at right back but decided to stay with Jardine.

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I just couldn't leave out Baxter mate. As great as Gasgoine was, I don't think he even played 100 games for us. Leaving Cooper out is hard but Laudrup was one of my favs. I'm no quite as old as you but no far away 😉 

Aye understand where your coming from .....just trying to get through this winter break cos I can't stand English football anymore

1 hour ago, Spencer65 said:

I know there will be supporters from different eras....I'm nearly 60 and stretch back a bit but interested to hear who people would pick instead of my team:-

Goram

Hately McCoist

Not easy to leave out Butcher, willie Henderson and Jim Baxter but there it is..... all opinions welcome😊

Everybody’s missed out this man, would be the first name on my list to build the team around.

D5267C40-32A1-4FD8-A269-4BC2E6DED530.thumb.jpeg.35c68240fd795800714cfafb4cc223bc.jpeg

24 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

Go ram

Greig.    Young.   Gough. Caldow

Laudrop  Harold Davis Baxter Wilson

Forrest McCoist

Jim Forrest gets loads of positive comments. That good? Better than Hateley, Prso and Morelos?

47 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Everybody’s missed out this man, would be the first name on my list to build the team around.

D5267C40-32A1-4FD8-A269-4BC2E6DED530.thumb.jpeg.35c68240fd795800714cfafb4cc223bc.jpeg

One of my favourite gers ever who brought a different mentality to the team and changed Rangers forever.....however in a playing sense he was getting by his best and wouldn't put him in front of gascoigne ferguson or Baxter but accept his impact was greater than all three together.

42 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

McCoist with pace; a natural goal machine.

Great description of Jim Forrest. The man was an absolute flyer and could give centre halves a 5 yard start and still leave them in his wake. He scored 145 goals in 163 games!!!
Treated shamefully by Scot Symon when he was blamed for the Berwick cup defeat. This was made even worse when Symon refused to play him in the Cup Winners Cup Final and played a centre half, Roger Hynd, up front instead. We lost 1-0 when we had beaten some great teams on the way through.

28 minutes ago, Spencer65 said:

One of my favourite gers ever who brought a different mentality to the team and changed Rangers forever.....however in a playing sense he was getting by his best and wouldn't put him in front of gascoigne ferguson or Baxter but accept his impact was greater than all three together.

Ferguson was excellent, at his peak world class, Souness for me was easily better, absolutely bossed the midfield with menace.

Fair comment about being passed his best at us but he was still a magnificent bastard 😆

Goram

Stevens

Gough

Butcher

Robertson

Laudrup

McCall

Gazza

Walters

McCoist

Hateley

Subs:

Klos

Numan

B Ferguson

Albertz

Cooper

Van Bronckhorst

Mols

Tried to balance as much as I could, and a midfield with God, Gazza and Walters needs a ball winner, and wee McCall just pips Ian Ferguson in that role for me. 

So many I had to sadly leave out. 

In my time watching Rangers (born 82, so my time is the last 30yrs or so)

I think Advocaat's side was the best we have had in the last 30yrs - such a complete side and was maybe only a top quality CB and striker away from doing big things in Europe.

Goram

Stevens

Cuellar

Gough (c)

Numan

Laudrup

Ferguson

Van Bronkhorst

Albertz

Prso

McCoist

Subs

Klos

Amoruso

Gascoigne 

McCall

Reyna

McCann

Mols

We do have a lack of obvious right sided options both at RB and RM in a greatest XI of the last 30 yrs.

I've put Laudrup as RM, but don't feel he is most effective there. Stevens was probably our best RB, although Hutton had an outstanding 8-9mths.

Cuellar had arguably the best European season of any player we've had in my time watching Rangers. He was a wall and an outstanding siege defender.

Ritchie

Shearer, Caldow

Greig, McKinnon, Baxter

Henderson, McMillan, Miller, Brand, Wilson

Sub's: Niven, Jardine, Forrest, Johnston, Johnstone

Goram

Robertson, Gough, Butcher, Numan

Laudrup, Souness, Gazza, Albertz

Hately, McCoist

Sub's: Klos, Wilkins, Stevens, Ferguson,  Amo

8 hours ago, Spencer65 said:

Goram

Hately McCoist

Just cause your 60 you can still have subs ! that sorts out Baxter etc. 

lol kidding but I know they had no subs back then. 

I know a friend who played for Rangers reserves in the 60s and he told me some wonderful stories. 

Archived