Best Ever Rangers 11

Spencer65

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Badger said:

In my time watching Rangers (born 82, so my time is the last 30yrs or so)

I think Advocaat's side was the best we have had in the last 30yrs - such a complete side and was maybe only a top quality CB and striker away from doing big things in Europe.

Goram

Stevens

Cuellar

Gough (c)

Numan

Laudrup

Ferguson

Van Bronkhorst

Albertz

Prso

McCoist

Subs

Klos

Amoruso

Gascoigne 

McCall

Reyna

McCann

Mols

We do have a lack of obvious right sided options both at RB and RM in a greatest XI of the last 30 yrs.

I've put Laudrup as RM, but don't feel he is most effective there. Stevens was probably our best RB, although Hutton had an outstanding 8-9mths.

Cuellar had arguably the best European season of any player we've had in my time watching Rangers. He was a wall and an outstanding siege defender.

Trevor Steven on the right. Classy player. 

8 hours ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Great description of Jim Forrest. The man was an absolute flyer and could give centre halves a 5 yard start and still leave them in his wake. He scored 145 goals in 163 games!!!
Treated shamefully by Scot Symon when he was blamed for the Berwick cup defeat. This was made even worse when Symon refused to play him in the Cup Winners Cup Final and played a centre half, Roger Hynd, up front instead. We lost 1-0 when we had beaten some great teams on the way through.

I do not think it was his decision; from memory it was the chairman John Lawrence who blamed several players and said they would never wear the jersey again. Forrest, Dandy McLean were picked out and later Symon went by the wayside. I firmly believe if Lawrence had not thrown the toys out the pram we would have won the Cup Winners cup.

3 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Ritchie

Shearer, Caldow

Greig, McKinnon, Baxter

Henderson, McMillan, Miller, Brand, Wilson

Sub's: Niven, Jardine, Forrest, Johnston, Johnstone

Goram

Robertson, Gough, Butcher, Numan

Laudrup, Souness, Gazza, Albertz

Hately, McCoist

Sub's: Klos, Wilkins, Stevens, Ferguson,  AmoI

I'll second that top team mate.

35 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

I do not think it was his decision; from memory it was the chairman John Lawrence who blamed several players and said they would never wear the jersey again. Forrest, Dandy McLean were picked out and later Symon went by the wayside. I firmly believe if Lawrence had not thrown the toys out the pram we would have won the Cup Winners cup.

Without a doubt we would have won the ECWC in 1967 if we had kept hold of Forrest, the best finisher i've seen in my time watching Rangers, with due respect to McCoist.  For what it's worth imo we would have stopped their run of titles also.

Goram

Jardine, Young, Gough  Caldow

Souness, Baxter, Gascoigne, Ferguson

McCoist   Laudrup

Had to think very hard before leaving out Greig, Henderson and Cooper. Even Numan and Butcher.    And am expecting Morelos might just be squeezing in to the team in the near future. 

And if I was a (biased)  manager I'd be shoving Alex MacDonald and Tam Forsyth in for sentimental reasons. 

(Also a shame we do not have decent video of the pre 1950s players )

28 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Goram

Jardine, Young, Gough  Caldow

Souness, Baxter, Gascoigne

McCoist   Laudrup

Had to think very hard before leaving out Greig, Ferguson, Henderson and Cooper. Even Numan and Butcher.    And am expecting Morelos might just be squeezing in to the team in the near future. 

And if I was a (biased)  manager I'd be shoving Alex MacDonald and Tam Forsyth in for sentimental reasons. 

(Also a shame we do not have decent video of the pre 1950s players )

You've only put 10 players in your team, suppose with the 10 chosen it would be enough though.

Goram 

Jardine,    Gough,          Butcher,    Greig

Laudrup,  Gascoigne,  Baxter,      Cooper

McCoist,      Hateley

Subs:

Woods,  Souness,  Mols, I. Ferguson,  B.Ferguson, Amoruso, van Bronckhorst

I was very young during 9IAR so picked from Advocaat era onwards. No doubt missed some players but these were the first that came to mind 

McGregor

Ricksen          Weir        Amoruso                 Numan

R.de Boer    Van Bronckhorst  Reyna    Albertz

Mols     Morelos

Subs : McGregor, Cuellar,Barisic, Mendes, McCann, Caniggia, Jelavic, 

8 hours ago, TheCutch said:

Goram

Stevens

Gough

Butcher

Robertson

Laudrup

McCall

Gazza

Walters

McCoist

Hateley

Subs:

Klos

Numan

B Ferguson

Albertz

Cooper

Van Bronckhorst

Mols

Tried to balance as much as I could, and a midfield with God, Gazza and Walters needs a ball winner, and wee McCall just pips Ian Ferguson in that role for me. 

So many I had to sadly leave out. 

That's as close to the perfect team that I've seen with possibly Souness in for McCall . 

Would also find a place on the bench for one of my favourite Rangers players  - Alex MacDonald . 

11 minutes ago, gmcf said:

That's as close to the perfect team that I've seen with possibly Souness in for McCall . 

Would also find a place on the bench for one of my favourite Rangers players  - Alex MacDonald . 

I started going to games in 83-84 season mate, so never really seen doddy in the flesh for us, sadly. 

Souness would obviously have made a starting 11 based on career alone, but I went with performances in our shirt over each players time. 👍

1 hour ago, George McLean said:

You've only put 10 players in your team, suppose with the 10 chosen it would be enough though.

Morelos got sent off in the 98th minute against a cellic select after scoring 12 in a 18-1 win. (Biased ref gave tims a penalty which the goalie saved but the ref scored the rebound.)

I've edited it now.:tu:

4 minutes ago, TheCutch said:

I started going to games in 83-84 season mate, so never really seen doddy in the flesh for us, sadly. 

Souness would obviously have made a starting 11 based on career alone, but I went with performances in our shirt over each players time. 👍

Yep , fair shout .

Theres so many players that I had in my head , that was so similar to yours that I felt it pointless posting the team :lol: 

Just realise how much some of the younger bears have missed with regards to the great players we have had at the club like Caldow, Greig, Baxter, Forrest, Henderson etc.

Same with me as regards the famous Iron Curtain in the 40s- 50’s As I still remember my old man going on about them.

The Iron Curtain was the defensive line of Rangers F.C. during the late 1940s and early 1950s. The normal line-up in the early 1950s consisted of goalkeeper Bobby Brown, full backs George Young and Jock Shaw, centre half Willie Woodburn and wing halves Ian McColl and Sammy Cox. Would have loved to have seen them play.💙

Goram

Jardine RB

Caldow LB

Gough CH

Greig  CH

Cooper LW

Davis CM

Baxter CM

Laudrup RW

McCoist CF

Forrest CF

Subs:  Niven , Shearer, A Morton,  G Young,  Woodburn, Henderson, T Shaw, Meiklejohn, J Miller, I McMillan, A McDonald.

Manager: Struth

Player/asst manager: Souness

Coach: Walter Smith

So many greats to leave out.

Archived