Should we spend the summer budget now ?

stevotrueblue

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Nk89 said:

I think Matt Ritchie on loan for 6 months for that right side could be plausible 

Very good player with a lovely delivery, but Newcastle are down to the bare bones with players dropping like flies so I cant see them letting anyone leave in Jan.

11 hours ago, Mclean RFC said:

play defoe up front with kent and morelos supporting him.

Aribo and arfield are good players but are wasted on the right.

I would like to see us sign a real quality left footed winger who can cut in from the right hand side & is capable of scoring and creating goals on a regular basis. I thought Ojo could be that player, but he is woefully out of his depth. I would send him back to Liverpool & enquire about Harvey Elliott who despite only being 16 looks the real deal.

4 minutes ago, STEVEH said:

I would like to see us sign a real quality left footed winger who can cut in from the right hand side & is capable of scoring and creating goals on a regular basis. I thought Ojo could be that player, but he is woefully out of his depth. I would send him back to Liverpool & enquire about Harvey Elliott who despite only being 16 looks the real deal.

What is a 16 year old going to add to the squad when we are in a title race?

Just now, Ayrblue1 said:

What is a 16 year old going to add to the squad when we are in a title race?

I've seen the kid play and he is the real deal trust me. He would offer the squad a lot more than Ojo would.

Just now, STEVEH said:

I've seen the kid play and he is the real deal trust me. He would offer the squad a lot more than Ojo would.

I’d offer more to the squad than ojo. 
he’s not what’s needed mate you might have seen him play but imo no 16 y/o should be coming in when we are in the middle of a title fight. 

No, we can’t risk financial stability even with the value of our current squad. 

Say we spend big, don’t win the league and the don’t qualify for the Europa next season. We’d be in a position where we’d need to sell 2-3 of our most valuable players and we wouldn’t be able to hold out for best prices. 

This squad is good enough to win the league, let them do it and give them the confidence that the manager rates them. If we can move a couple more out and bring in another RW then do it, but let’s not gamble unnecessarily 

Other than a back up striker that we'd need to call on just for emergencies I wouldn't change anything . 

Imo , we're the best footballing team in the land and even changing just a couple of places could upset the rhythm of the team , even with better players .

The one doubt I did have was the mental strength of the team but with the December weve had , outplaying the tarriers twice , progressing in Europe and generally dealing with a difficult month , that has been alleviated quite a bit . The confidence that will have given the team going into the 2nd half of the season can't be underestimated , while the tarriers will now be questioning their ' invincibility ' for the first time in years . 

Nope , for me it's ' if it ain't broke , don't fix it ' . Let's see where we are come the summer .

If the right player becomes available on loan then go for it. All this  "January window is useless" talk is nonsense. The business we did last January, i.e defoe and davis , was supberb. It maybe didn't look like it last February but its one of the main reasons we are where we are now.

We don't know what the budget will be in the summer. No point spending on players now when we could get better, more expensive players in the summer if we've sold some prized assets for big fees.

7 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

If the right player becomes available on loan then go for it. All this  "January window is useless" talk is nonsense. The business we did last January, i.e defoe and davis , was supberb. It maybe didn't look like it last February but its one of the main reasons we are where we are now.

It is good if you want to bed a player in ahead of next season - we need to win the league this year.

6 hours ago, bluenoz said:

We may need another midfield player. I'm going to assume Doc will be going somewhere and we have already lost King & Barjanos. Add to the fact that Aribo looks better in a front three.

None of them feature in our midfield bar Aribo.

On 11/01/2020 at 21:51, stevotrueblue said:

According to transfer markt we spent net around 11-12m in the summer.  I think that is roughly the season ticket money.  We should have at least that coming in again next summer.  Not saying we have to spend it all,, but two key players could make the difference. 

And how do we keep the club running month to month and pay the wages of the players, staff and club employees? 

Archived