Club statement | Resolution not deemed competent

OceanRain

Steven Gerrard calls SPFL row 'total mess' as only Partick Thistle rise to Spartacus moment

Rangers manager calls for independent inquiry into SPFL decision to end the season for three lower leagues

Telegraph (Roddy Forsyth)

-------------------------------‐---

Imagine Neil Doncaster, not in his habitual suit and tie apparel of the Chief Executive of the Scottish Professional Football League, but in the uniform of a Roman general and holding a menacing axe. Before him, huddled on the ground, are 12 representatives of the Premiership clubs.

Doncaster addresses the throng. “Which one of you is from Tynecastle?” he demands. Ann Budge stands hesitantly. “I am Heart of Midlothian,” she murmurs. From behind, there is a shout. It is Leeann Dempster of Hibs, who rises to her feet and proclaims: “No – I’m Heart of Midlothian.”

And one by one, the others – except for celtic, who mouth silently, ‘Champions-elect’ – spring to attention and proclaim that they, too, are Heart of Midlothian.

If that was a movie scene, it would be a wholly inaccurate parallel to the current state of Scottish football. Not that you would have known from coverage of the SPFL’s proposals to shut down its three lower divisions immediately, with placings decided on the points-average method to remove the anomaly of teams having played different numbers of games in the same tournament.

The same will apply to the Premiership if – or, almost certainly, when – it is accepted that a restart of the current campaign is no longer feasible. Condemnation of the proposition as ‘abhorrent’ and ‘a major embarrassment’ grabbed headlines, coming as they did from Rangers and Hearts, both of whom would be definite losers from the arrangement, as opposed to their status as likely losers when Scottish football’s lockdown was enacted last month.

Rangers remember, trailed celtic by 13 points, albeit with a game in hand and nine to play. Steven Gerrard’s players had not won back-to-back league matches in 2020. Hearts, meanwhile, were four points behind Hamilton with eight games apiece still to be fulfilled, also having failed to put together successive league victories this year.

Notwithstanding their trajectories of indifferent form, Rangers and Hearts are wholly entitled to argue that a race cut short should not be decided by fixed positions with irreversible consequences for the title race and the fight against relegation. What is striking, however, is the almost total lack of solidarity from other SPFL clubs.

Moreover, were Rangers favourites to win the league and Hearts securely buffered against the drop, what attitudes do you suppose they would be adopting now? Even Gerrard’s intervention on Thursday- when he called for an independent investigation into the SPFL’s handling of the shutdown proposals – begged large questions.

Rangers have a representative on the SPFL board in the person of Stewart Robertson, their CEO, from whom no utterance has been heard. Gerrard added, of the SPFL’s performance, that: “The SPFL have said they’re open to an internal investigation but I don’t agree with that because you shouldn’t really be allowed to mark your own homework. If you mark your own homework, you’re always going to come top of the class.”

That, though, ignores the fact that the league administrators got 82 per cent approval from member clubs for their master plan. Late in the day, it turned out that there would be an instance of real moral leadership, delivered by Partick Thistle, who had contemplated legal action against the procedure which – as matters stand – would see them relegated from the Championship.

They decided against that course of action and, in a club statement, explained why, when they said: “The resulting lockdown is challenging the very existence of some clubs. If we were to take this action to court, there is a risk that might stop the release of much-needed monies to those clubs on Friday.

“That’s a step too far for us. Regardless of what’s been inflicted on Thistle, we can’t be responsible for pushing even one club to the brink. It would be hypocritical of us to have espoused “do no harm” as a reason why we shouldn’t be relegated and then do exactly that.

“We aren’t looking for sympathy, we don’t need it. We are a well-run, debt-free club with a proud history of rolling with the punches. We may be down but we are not out. When football returns, we will be here, ready to play, regardless of the league we are in.”

That was Scottish football’s Spartacus moment. It is liable to be the only one.

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, bluebell.scot said:

Hope we raise some legal action and a large handful (or more) are financially crippled and go out the game. Couldnt care less how it “makes us look”. I will pish myself laughing.

Tbh .So would I .Fuck them all 

1 minute ago, stu43rigger said:

I don’t think Rangers would go directly to Uefa, once an independent investigation has been carried out they will make a judgement on proposed next steps, it would be up to whoever is investigating whether it’s a matter for uefa, police etc or no case to answer

Who would conduct the investigation=UEFA as it is their remit to investigate any league with in Europe if foul play is suspected in that association. UEFA can investigate any club or assication that questions the integrity of the sport in Europe and they can ban them as well. UEFA is the governing body for Europe and that is in their remit the same as every one of six continental confederations of world football's governing body FIFA. Liewell would be removed as he is a member of the association being investigated.

13 hours ago, KingKirk said:

We all need to remember our reason for starting this was to get charge within that setup we shouldn't loose sight of that.

The day football was cancelled the season was over they where always gonna give celtic the title look at lennons comments the day after. If they want to claim that title so be it we all know in a row is dead.

It's time for patience If Rangers went and got a injunction tomorrow it would now be reported as big bad Rangers killing clubs. Just what the spfl want. 

Let the clubs get the money they need and lets concentrate on taking out the ceo, chairman and lawyer. 

That's all we can do realistically

21 minutes ago, OceanRain said:

Dundee United owner Mark Ogren wants ‘no recriminations’ over controversial SPFL vote that secured promotion for Tangerines

Dundee Evening Telegraph (Calum Woodger)

-----------------------‐---------‐----

United’s promotion to the Premiership was confirmed yesterday after Dundee cast their deciding vote in favour of plans to end the season in Scotland’s bottom three leagues.

The issue of how the Dark Blues came to hold the power to decide other clubs’ fate has been the subject of speculation and innuendo in recent days – and will continue to be questioned for some weeks yet.

But Tannadice boss Ogren doesn’t want to see Dark Blues owner John Nelms dragged over the coals.

“The situation that the SPFL and clubs have found themselves in over the past few weeks and particularly since last Friday’s vote has been fraught with uncertainty, during which (Dundee United) has remained deliberately silent,” said the Tangerines chief.

“It remains our belief that it is every member club’s right to decide on how and when to vote, within the parameters of the voting system. This process has now been completed.

“I believe the SPFL has found a solution that gives the industry time to regroup, catch a breath and focus on how the new season will look once the mobility restrictions are lifted.

“I also believe that there should be no recriminations on how clubs voted, as they will have done so with both the interests of their club and Scottish football at heart.”

Ogren added: “As majority owners of the club, Scott (Ogren) and I would like to thank all of our fans for their support throughout the season and look forward to welcoming you all back in the near future.

“Once we are all able to meet again at Tannadice, we will find a way for us to celebrate this promotion together.”

What utter shite.  Every club, that voted yes did not have scottish football at heart...not one.  

"Show me the money" or "We want titles" was the cry, and once that was shown every one of them that voted yes.  Scottish football, sporting integrity and sporting merit went out the window.   Self-interest was, and still is, slap bang front and centre.  Any club that comes out with that shit is outright lying.

9 minutes ago, ZZed said:

Who would conduct the investigation=UEFA as it is their remit to investigate any league with in Europe if foul play is suspected in that association. UEFA can investigate any club or assication that questions the integrity of the sport in Europe and they can ban them as well. UEFA is the governing body for Europe and that is in their remit the same as every one of six continental confederations of world football's governing body FIFA. Liewell would be removed as he is a member of the association being investigated.

It would have to be established if there’s grounds for a complaint first and if it’s within uefas remit or criminality has occurred, Rangers can’t just decide that

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

The police will only get involved if there is evidence of criminality. 

Police are involved to gather that evidence.  You don’t need much to get them on board. If they are told stuff they have a duty to investigate 

5 minutes ago, stu43rigger said:

It would have to be established if there’s grounds for a complaint first and if it’s within uefas remit or criminality has occurred, Rangers can’t just decide that

Rangers can present their evidence to UEFA any time they want as they are an associated club.

If you are going to whistle blow you go to you FA, if you can't go to them you go to UEFA.

Where is sporting integrity in the SPFL’s reconstruction plan?

The Scotsman (Iain McMenemy, Stenhousemuir chairman)

-------------------------------------

I imagine that most people have a view on what it must be like to be involved in football. I would bet that the reality is a million miles away from the 
perception.

As Stenhousemuir chairman, I spend most of my time frustrated, then angry, and very occasionally, some good times come along. This is why I always say that you have to really make the most of the good times, because they don’t come along very often.

The good times come from the moments that mean something to us as a club. A big win, a great bus journey home with the team, sharing good times with fellow supporters in our club’s Bob Hill Wee Bar. Most of my frustration, however, is triggered by events away from my own club.

I find working with the football authorities very challenging at times. I do my best to speak out and to raise issues I feel are important, but more often than not, I feel the voice from the lower leagues is ignored.I find working with the football authorities very challenging at times. I do my best to speak out and to raise issues I feel are important, but more often than not, I feel the voice from the lower leagues is ignored.

There are times when the league doesn’t even try to hide its disregard for the lower echelons of our members’ organisation. Such as the response to this complete farce of a vote on ending the lower league 
season.

Let me remind everyone just what the resolution was. It was to end the current season for the Championship, Leagues 1 and 2 in the SPFL. It set out that the ambition was to try to complete the Premiership season, but if not, then that season may need to be called to an end at a future point too.

However, for now, this was a vote aimed at the three lower leagues.

Putting aside the pantomime that followed the publication of the resolution, complete with the villain and shouts of “Who’s behind you?” with regards to alleged calls from the “big hitters” to some clubs, the final outcome was 
staggering.

There was a change of mind by the club that had been one of the most public regarding their “No” vote. They were now voting “Yes”, despite not appearing to have won any concessions.

The next phase would be league reconstruction talks. This was always the next step, so no change there. But I found the statement from the SPFL staggering. Another reminder if I may, the vote was to end the season for the three leagues below the Premiership. This means relegation for two clubs. Relegation by committee, not through football, which by any standards is harsh.

And the statement from the SPFL? There will now be talks on “league restructuring, in time for season 2020-21, around an expanded Premiership model”. So no mention of the impacts on lower leagues, but assurances to the top flight that clubs in the Premiership will be looked after as the starting point for reconstruction talks. The demise of the lower league season is to trigger 
protection built around 
the needs of the Premiership.

As it stands today, the Premiership season is still live. They continue to hope to play this out “when the time is right” as they have said. But the statement says that the reconstruction “process has already been commenced today”. So reconstruction has begun, when a season in still live? The reconstruction group will be led by the two teams currently occupying the bottom two spots in the Premiership so are the 
two that are most likely to face relegation.

So if the Premiership season does start back up, the two teams in the drop zone have nothing to fear. They will be driving the reconstruction discussions and can keep themselves safe. Is this the sporting integrity that has been mentioned so often of late? Is this the much talked-about ambition to “end the season on the pitch?” Both of these clubs could start fielding their under-16s if the season starts back up as they can redraw the leagues no matter the results.

But what about Partick Thistle, or Stranraer? What about Brora and Kelty? What about the supporters and what they want? What about solutions for the whole game?

Yet again, I fear the lower leagues are about to be completely run over and will be forced to accept scraps off the table once the top flight has gorged itself on the finances that flow out of the pockets of fans right across the nation.

A number of weeks ago I posed the question to football, “Are we really in it together?” I think we can all see the answer.

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Police are involved to gather that evidence.  You don’t need much to get them on board. If they are told stuff they have a duty to investigate 

Will the police not only get involved if there is a lack of cooperation and they need to be requested?

Just hope the clubs who have been given their two pieces of silver realise they have allowed coercion to be accepted in Scottish football.

I hope they realise that none of them can be trusted not to take a piece of silver to fix a match as money is above all for them. 

Rangers examining legal options and demand SPFL enquiry after 'misleading' vote
Rangers want the SPFL's current chief executive, Neil Doncaster, and legal advisor Rod McKenzie suspended, while boss Steven Gerrard has called the situation an "absolute mess" Rangers are examining "all legal options" after again calling for an independent inquiry into the SPFL's handling of the vote to end the season outside of the Scottish top flight. 'Gers, who voted against the SPFL's successful resolution, want chief executive Neil Doncaster and legal advisor Rod McKenzie suspended while they are the "subject of forensic examination".It comes after manager Steven Gerrard earlier called the governing body an "absolute mess".

A statement from the Ibrox club read: "No fair-minded person can take the outcome of this vote seriously. The SPFL has conducted a process which has been misleading and deeply flawed."The anger of our fans is understood and shared by our board, who continue to examine all legal options available. "The SPFL appear to have acknowledged the need for an internal investigation - but only an independent investigation will provide satisfactory, credible answers. Rangers were one of the clubs to provide a counter-proposal to the SPFL's plan to call the season off, suggesting that clubs were awarded their prize money early. But it was ruled out by the governing body, much to the Light Blues' confusion. 

"The SPFL chose to obstruct our resolution which would have given clubs the required financial support, without the pre-condition of ending the season," their statement added. "The fact that this solution was not afforded sufficient consideration defies belief and further underlines the view held by many clubs that the processes and behaviours of certain individuals must now be the subject of forensic examination." Gerrard is disappointed by the lack of leadership from the SPFL. "I've been watching closely from back home and it does seem a bit of a mess at the moment," the Rangers boss told Sky Sports."From afar, the SPFL looks an absolute mess, in all honesty. I'm watching ex-players, pundits, I'm reading media and it's getting absolutely battered from pillar to post, the way its handled things, certainly in the last couple of days." 

Dundee, who cast the deciding vote, have insisted that they did not change their intention after suggestions they originally voted to reject the SPFL's resolution. A club statement read: "There was no changing of our vote at any time that day as has been reported in some channels. "If what we achieved in our pause was presented by the SPFL in the first instance we would have voted in favour of the proposal on 10 April 2020. "We have achieved the best deal possible out of a situation that was going to be bad for us in any iteration that was being proposed. Let us be clear, no matter what the proposal looked like, the majority of the clubs in the Premiership and the Championship are proponents of promotion/relegation. 

"In conclusion, from a very poor situation we have gotten the best result for Dundee FC and for Scottish Football as a whole. "Of 42 teams, 35 have voted yes in a democratic ballot and for most, the important thing is the monies can be distributed and they can work on survival plans for their clubs. It is time now to return our focus on staying safe and planning for the future of Dundee FC." While Rangers are considering their legal options, Partick have decided against going down that avenue.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/Rangers-examining-legal-options-demand-21880355

@Sweetheart

SPFL to release £2m to lower league clubs today with Premiership prize money put on hold

The Herald (Aidan Smith)

-------‐---------------------------

THE SPFL have today issued nearly £2million in prize money to their lower league members to help them through the coronavirus crisis.

The Scottish football governing body was given the green light to end the bottom three divisions after 81% of clubs voted in favour of plans to terminate the season indefinitely.

And the Daily Record report that chief executive Neil Doncaster along with chairman Murdoch MacLennan have wasted little time in supplying Scotland’s cash stricken clubs with some much needed income.

The Premiership prize money, a fee of around £7.5million, is still to be distributed, with league chiefs still holding out hope that top-flight fixtures can be played out before UEFA’s July deadline.

The picture will be clearer on whether celtic will be crowned champions and Hearts will be relegated on April 23, when UEFA’s executive committee meet to discuss the future of Europe’s football divisions amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

The decision to release prize money to the lower leagues comes after Partick Thistleconfirmed that they would not be pursuing legal action against the SPFL.

In a statement yesterday they said: “To be relegated in the arbitrary and unjust way we are currently experiencing, with no say in it, is heartbreaking for everyone at Partick Thistle.

“We advised the SPFL on Tuesday of the joint counsel’s opinion we had sought in relation to the validity – or not – of the Dundee vote cast.

“To be clear, we did not threaten litigation, we sought clarity on the legal points raised. We still regard this as a strong legal opinion that raises significant issues around the whole process.

“We have been advised we have the option to take this before a court. Instinctively, injustice demands reparation.

“However, as a club, the decision to relegate Thistle is first and foremost about our people and what this might mean for them.

“To pursue court action costs money and considerable time – so we have had to consider carefully whether both could be better spent on securing the club’s future and protecting the livelihoods of those we employ.

"The lockdown is challenging the very existence of some clubs. If we were to take this action to court, there is a risk that might stop the release of much-needed monies to those clubs on Friday. 

“That’s a step too far for us. Regardless of what’s been inflicted on Thistle, we can’t be responsible for pushing even one club to the brink.”

4 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Now's the time to block the SPFL from completing their plan.

Yep don’t think the board will want to have been seen as holding smaller clubs to ransom, and that’s exactly how it would’ve been spun, now let’s get after the corrupt bastards. 

Archived