50 years 1971/2021 Our clubs saddest day

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

The BBC website has an article of this from the pov of the Markinch lads.

I just read that. And the Disclosure program is on tonight. 

They make a claim that the c****c assistant manager fallon saved a young life with mouth to mouth.?? 

I had never ever heard about this before.

Tail end of the report trys to paint the Rangers directors as being negligent and its certainly raising alarm bells with me as regards how impartial and truthful it will actually be. Bbc scotland have a history of reinventing the facts.... 

33 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

VG article, with some excellent photos, inc showing St 13 from the top down. Also a photo of the old and new stadiums where you can see see exactly where the old stairway was in relation to Ibrox today. 

2 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

I just read that. And the Disclosure program is on tonight. 

They make a claim that the c****c assistant manager fallon saved a young life with mouth to mouth.?? 

I had never ever heard about this before.

Tail end of the report trys to paint the Rangers directors as being negligent and its certainly raising alarm bells with me as regards how impartial and truthful it will actually be. Bbc scotland have a history of reinventing the facts.... 

Was thinking this today.

Im sure the bbc will make this programme about causing damage to the club

1 hour ago, ayrshireranger said:

VG article, with some excellent photos, inc showing St 13 from the top down. Also a photo of the old and new stadiums where you can see see exactly where the old stairway was in relation to Ibrox today. 

That was a difficult read.

Can vividly remember the evening updates on TV as the numbers increased.  Only missed the game myself as a 17 year old still at high school and couldn't afford a ticket or the supporters bus for that day. Our usual spot for an old firm game was about half way down the terracing from exit 13.

However I don't recall the Sean Fallon claim or Celtic supporters busses taking walking wounded to hospital.  Neither do I remember Celtic players attending funerals.  Maybe some things have got lost in the old grey matter over the years. 

Not sure why the BBC article is viewing this from a "surviving" Celtic supporters angle.

The cynic in me is saying it's look at how good the "Celtic family" were on the day whilst having sly digs at Rangers directors.

Not sure I really wanted to say that last paragraph as it's not a subject to be "scoring points" on but I did find parts of that article disturbing. 

I was trying to get to the stairs but the crush was horrendous, I had to get my elbows up to protect my rib cage as I could feel it getting squeezed in, the crowd was stuck at the top of the stairs like trying to get a tennis ball into a beer bottle, there was no chance of going back as the fans behind keep adding to the crowd trying to get out. Eventually the shouts of 'go back' 'go back' and 'there's been an accident' got through to people, I also think that the crowd at the back gave up waiting to get down the stairs and turned round and headed for the exit under the shed. That's how I got out the ground, when I got round to the bottom of the stairs there were fans lying on the grass most likely the injured. Walking down the Copland Rd. I could hear the ambulances coming from all over, still unaware of the extent of the disaster.
RIP the 66.

Didn’t attend this game but my dad did getting home near midnight after the long drive back. Remember picking up the papers the next day and reading through them over and over again.  Also read the BBC article, lots of good stuff but as others have said too much playing up to the c*ltic angle. 

6 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

Very good article.

Fallon's account of the tragedy is listed elsewhere. I see no reason to disbelieve his account, if anything I believe he probably understated the tragedy he was surrounded by, and his own efforts.

https://seanfalloncelt.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/the-ibrox-disaster-a-life-saved-on-fallons-darkest-day/

The Celtic officials and those medically  able would have been heavily involved with their Rangers counterpart, and the police and ambulancemen, the colour of the scarves the victims wore would have been of no consequence of any of those heroes who helped. 

Rangers FC had to take most of the responsibility for representing themselves at the following funerals and rememberance ceremonies, but cellic officials and players, took part in those too, and of course both clubs were represented at various charity events following the disaster, including the charity Rangers/Celtic select v Scotland select, which was basically the full Scotland team with players from many other clubs. 

Was a time when Glasgow was united by tragedy.

Regarding the criticism of the director's, our club chose not to appeal this. The fact the Sheriff states his opinion so frankly suggests he may have had good reason.  At that time there had already been 2 other tragedies on Stairway 13 in the previous 10 years. 

And anyone who was around at the time know the grounds were mostly primitive in those days and crowd safety was probably not the concern or science it is today. There were many sporadic incidents then of injury and death at football at matches in the older days, in my opinion it is surprising there weren't more.

And of course the Ibrox tragedy led to safety updates that probably saved future lives. 

I don't think the article is trying to score points, and would suggest that anyone trying to find fault on the events of the tragedy and subsequent events at the time should try and rely on facts or eye witness accounts, rather than unjust speculation, and at this moment the main focus should be on the January 2nd rememberance.

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Aye, that change of tone from respectful remembrance to ‘Rangers-Bad’ was unnecessary - leaves a nasty taste tbh.

Just about to post the exact same thing there. Utterly ridiculous end to this from the bbc and sadly not surprising at all. 

Just now, Sparkle said:

Aye, that change of tone from respectful remembrance to ‘Rangers-Bad’ was unnecessary - leaves a nasty taste tbh.

The accounts of the two celtic fans and Margaret Fergusons aunt were harrowing and it was an emotional watch.

The Last ten minutes, the BBC just can’t help themselves.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

The accounts of the two celtic fans and Margaret Fergusons aunt were harrowing and it was an emotional watch.

The Last ten minutes, the BBC just can’t help themselves.

You think the bbc have sunk to their lowest, then they do this in a programme about 66 deaths - utter scum honestly.

No one actually knows what triggered the tragedy. 

Was originally thought that fans trying to get back up the stair when Stein scored was the cause, but the timeline suggest nowadays that it happened later, even after final whistle.

We'll probably never know, but not having seen the programme, but reading above posts,  would suggest any opinion the BBC have would have to be speculation of the worst possible kind. 

What did they suggest ?

Archived