Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He has much to prove, but I think that's bollocks. Always looks dangerous running at defenders.

Couple of instances spring to mind, his running away to Mitdyjland (fuck trying to spell that right) that set up a couple of goals and his pin-point cross from very little right onto Morelos head for the Legia Warsaw winner. He contributed more than enough that first month to merit a second chance IMO. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He has much to prove, but I think that's bollocks. Always looks dangerous running at defenders.

His best game for us was easily away in Midtjylland, he’s a tricky a winger that can draw in defenders when allowed to run into space, I just think he’ll never really get those type of chances with us.

Just now, The Monk said:

His best game for us was easily away in Midtjylland, he’s a tricky a winger that can draw in defenders when allowed to run into space, I just think he’ll never really get those type of chances with us.

That's possibly a fair point. I think he has a bit of skill about him too and could win us dangerous free kicks (or pens) if one on one even with packed defences. 

Whether or not he's even with us at the end of the window never mind gets an opportunity is probably another matter as I'm not sure Gerrard seems to want him.

23 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Was he not in the PFA team of the year a couple of seasons ago?

Probably being harsh there, just a bit disappointed with him as I thought he seemed a raw player at Killie who could be hit or miss but had potential to improve. Injury has played a large role since he’s been here but I was hoping he would raise his game a fair bit with us and do far better numbers wise.

19 minutes ago, The Monk said:

Probably being harsh there, just a bit disappointed with him as I thought he seemed a raw player at Killie who could be hit or miss but had potential to improve. Injury has played a large role since he’s been here but I was hoping he would raise his game a fair bit with us and do far better numbers wise.

Think he started 3 games before his injury

Is Morelos in Scotland? If not, will he be in 14 day quarantine upon arrival? The wee man looked heavy after Christmas. I hope he has been looking after himself because we need him to hit the ground running and then keep it going.

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Jones pre injury form is a myth.

He was woeful against East Fife and St Mirren. Average against St Josephs. Did nothing coming on against the scum either bar his red card.

A good 50 minutes against a very open Danish side and a great cross against Legia does not exceed those displays and especially not his Kilmarnock performances overall.

His performance against Stranraer was horrific.

A player who has a good game every 10 matches and without open space is useless imo.

Good against Hibs as well tbf, but aye, good post

1 hour ago, British_Empire said:

Agreed.

I don't think Jones looked as bad as everyone seems to think. 

I think he might have fucked it for himself with that stupid tackle in the tarriers game, but out of all the SPL dross we signed last summer that I wanted us to avoid like the plague (Stewart, Hastie, Barker and Jones) Jones was actually playing well IMO before his injury. 

I'd happily give him this season and see, if not then I'll be the first to say cheerio with the rest.

I'm of the same view - I thought Jones was looking good before his injury and was unlucky not to start in that game against them. However, Its clear Gerrard isn't a fan of Jones, much like Docherty, so doesn't look like he has a future with us. I think he offers something different in that he is very direct and commits defenders. If it was a choice over who to let go over Jones and Murphy, I'd prob say Murphy.

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He was woeful against East Fife and St Mirren. Average against St Josephs. Did nothing coming on against the scum either bar his red card.

A good 50 minutes against a very open Danish side and a great cross against Legia does not exceed those displays and especially not his Kilmarnock performances overall.

A player who has a good game every 10 matches and without open space is useless imo.

It doesn't make him useless, it just means he can be useful in some games and environments. Maybe.

He's showed more than Barker, Hastie, Stewart, Docherty and any other SPFL dross. 

He's not my favourite player, nor is he a starter. 

I just think he's useful to have around the squad - same way I think Murphy is too. But for the both of them, if they don't contribute the way a lot of folk think then yeah get rid of both - even in January.

It's just about seeing enough, or a little something to give them the benefit of the doubt. IMO.

I see Lallana will be leaving Liverpool when the season ends...can see us being linked with him again, altho can't see it happening.

Quality player on his day, altho his day might have been and gone i think we do need to push the boat out and get proven quality additions to the first 11. 

24 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Very debatable with those two in a Rangers top IMO. Barker had a good game in Porto.  Stewart had better productivity.

All three can leave this summer and it wouldn't make a difference. Don't rate any of them.

All of those you named, including Murphy would be gone if I had the choice. Still stuck with too many Aberdeen level players.

I don't think Barker had a good game in Porto tbh, heard folk say that before. It was a good result and he played in a team that got a good result. He was playing on the biggest pitch I've seen in a long time with no one around him most of the time. 

Stewart came on and looked alright into a couple of maulings at Ibrox - which most players traditionally do anyway. 

I agree we're stuck with too many Aberdeen level players tho. Our signing policy can be utter shite and it's not even with the benefit of hindsight either - I literally find myself saying at the time wtf don't sign this shite.

58 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

They arent a "very open Danish side" at all.

1 hour ago, British_Empire said:

I don't think Barker had a good game in Porto tbh, heard folk say that before. It was a good result and he played in a team that got a good result. He was playing on the biggest pitch I've seen in a long time with no one around him most of the time. 

Stewart came on and looked alright into a couple of maulings at Ibrox - which most players traditionally do anyway. 

I agree we're stuck with too many Aberdeen level players tho. Our signing policy can be utter shite and it's not even with the benefit of hindsight either - I literally find myself saying at the time wtf don't sign this shite.

Barker did a lot of defensive work getting himself behind the ball which is definitely needed in away ties but he was hardly ever on the ball. His performance was way overrated that  night.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

Barker did a lot of defensive work getting himself behind the ball which is definitely needed in away ties but he was hardly ever on the ball. His performance was way overrated that  night.

Yeah I'd say over-rated too.

Defo put in a shift, the whole team did. You can't get a respectable result away to a team like Porto with any passengers but he didn't stand out or make me think he's a player. 

5 hours ago, kanjo said:

IMO replacing Candeias with Ojo cost us at least 10 goals last season. Must sign someone who can play that position. 

Gerrard is probably haunted by that decison now, we brought in 4 average fucking wingers.... murphy deserves a chance after being probably our best loan player we out out, done well get himself fit and the most serious injury a baller can get, hes a bluenose though... gerrard does not  seem to fancy bluenoses...

In the league we have had 19 goals scored against us, only the spuds have as few goals against. The next lowest club has 36 against. In Scotland we have a good defense it is in the scoring departmant we need to improve. I would look for a Neil McCann type on the right wing and would go for a another quality striker as the priorities. Then see if we can find a quailty midfielder to sit in with Jack and Hagi.

11 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

Gerrard is probably haunted by that decison now, we brought in 4 average fucking wingers.... murphy deserves a chance after being probably our best loan player we out out, done well get himself fit and the most serious injury a baller can get, hes a bluenose though... gerrard does not  seem to fancy bluenoses...

Murphy’s done mate. We have to be looking for better quality now. No fucking around. 

3 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

What a load of bollocks :lol:

Jones has done ok in glimpses. The cross for Morelos v Legia and a couple of other moments against the Danish mob.

However his game isnt suited to teams who play 11 behind the ball. At Kilmarnock he would always get more space than he does with Rangers.

I'm also not sure about his mentality on improving and being the best in his position. It may be silly but i always take notes when it could be an indication - He did a quiz for RTV and he said his favourite sandwich was a roll with sausage and bacon. Even if it was, its not one to let out the bag. So i wonder how motivated he is diet, fitness and desire to improve further.

9 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Couple of instances spring to mind, his running away to Mitdyjland (fuck trying to spell that right) that set up a couple of goals and his pin-point cross from very little right onto Morelos head for the Legia Warsaw winner. He contributed more than enough that first month to merit a second chance IMO. 

I think that was the problem, teams like Mitdjyland were made for Jones, high line and attacking. Plenty of space to run into behind.

We all know we don’t get that type of space in the league with the odd exception. We all knew what we were signing, Allen and Gerrard need to take the blame for it.

1 hour ago, Smell the hotdog said:

I think that was the problem, teams like Mitdjyland were made for Jones, high line and attacking. Plenty of space to run into behind.

We all know we don’t get that type of space in the league with the odd exception. We all knew what we were signing, Allen and Gerrard need to take the blame for it.

yeah people at the club really need to properly be held accountable for when we waste money on shite and appoint the wrong people too. Every single move was heavily scrutinised under the last lot in charge.

Archived