Good Scottish Talent

MacBoyd

Is this something we need to focus on this summer? Nearly all Rangers successful sides have been built with a Scottish core or at least a few in the side. I think these players are vital for the games away to st Mirren, Hamilton etc where some foreigners could maybe understandably be uninspired.

Is this a valid point or am I living in the past? And if it is who should we go for? I think Ferguson at Aberdeen is a player we should go for if the price is right. No one else comes to mind though.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bigdave30 said:

I was hoping this was another eye candy thread for the lads 👎🏻

Portious, McKenna, Souter, Ferguson and the likes are no the answer.

Ryan Jack is the obvious example of someone who was decent/good for a club outside us and celtic, that most wouldn't have looked at twice, yet now hes one of our most influential players.

Guys like Novo, Boyd, Miller, McCann (there will be loads more) have all led us to league titles with their performances and at the time werent really fancied by most yet they done the job.

As it happens I agree on the players you have mentioned, but I wouldnt rule others out just because they play in Scotland or because their current team has been beaten by celtic a lot.

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

None of the current bunch are good enough. 

Our midfield is the worst area of the side so why sign another player in Ferguson who is all too similar to ones we already have here. 

Agreed, its hardly a formidable area of the pitch for us. You’d think Gerrard would be able to form a brilliant midfield.

Ryan Fraser. James McCarthy. John McGinn.  How many would have said they were good enough for us when they left Scotland?

Fleck, Pukki, would they improve us now?

Ryan Jack, 50k Kamara. Passes or fails?

Tbh too many think we're better or more affluent than we are. Certain players in Scotland would improve us, some would offer better options than we had last season, some are better prospects than we have.

We need to focus on quality, but Ive no doubt our squad and hence at times first team could be improved by spfl signings. But on the whole I'm against it as I want funds spent on real quality. But still think it's wrong to say current spfl players couldn't improve us.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Ryan Fraser. James McCarthy. John McGinn.  How many would have said they were good enough for us when they left Scotland?

Tbh too many think we're better or more affluent than we are. Certain players in Scotland would improve us, some would offer better options than we had last season, some are better prospects than we have.

We need to focus on quality, but Ive no doubt our squad and hence at times first team could be improved by spfl signings. But on the whole I'm against it as I want funds spent on real quality. But still think it's wrong to say current spfl players couldn't improve us.

Pukki and Kamara as Scottish talent? Am I on Jambos Kickback?

5 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

Greg Docherty deserves a chance 

I’d like to see him given the proper chance, even although I doubt he’s good enough for us. 

It would answer the question of has he actually improved or does he now simply look better in a shite team with freedom to express himself and under low pressure.

2 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Is this something we need to focus on this summer? Nearly all Rangers successful sides have been built with a Scottish core or at least a few in the side. I think these players are vital for the games away to st Mirren, Hamilton etc where some foreigners could maybe understandably be uninspired.

Is this a valid point or am I living in the past? And if it is who should we go for? I think Ferguson at Aberdeen is a player we should go for if the price is right. No one else comes to mind though.

I think the major difference in the past mate was the “dig players” could all play to , yer Ian Ferguson’s , Stuart McCalls  , Kevin Thomson’s  etc , were all very good players

18 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Pukki and Kamara as Scottish talent? Am I on Jambos Kickback?

Suppose it depends in if we're talking genuine scottish or just those in the spfl. Hdlacky and Dykes really should be added to any debate on those in scotland worthy of consideration.

Purely scottish, then nah fair enough.

But plenty non scots, some plying their trade in scotland, showed far more quality than some scottish ever did.

23 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Could argue though that the top 3-5 have peaked playing in a better league, with better players and getting developed in an environment where there's not the pressure that they would have had on us.

Jack and Kamara are defo passes. They are not flops (for various reasons) but they aren't that great either. I doubt any of them would be near a proper title-winning Rangers team tbh.

Just now, badjon said:

Who are your suggestions? I genuinely don't watch much of any teams outwith when we play them. 

Lewis Ferguson and Dykes, ironically the 2 we've been linked with past week or so.

even then it's not because I think they are amazing, it's because they would offer us something for the first team that we don't already have (i.e some steel in the middle of the park/someone who's brave and takes resposibility and for Dykes a big presence upfront to mix it with defenders)

Other than that I'm struggling (I got slaughtered off a couple of people for suggesting maybe Scott Allen as a squad option as he's someone who runs with the ball and picks passes and basically offers us something different from the sides if needbe but I wouldn't lose any sleep either way, it's just a thought)

19 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Could argue though that the top 3-5 have peaked playing in a better league, with better players and getting developed in an environment where there's not the pressure that they would have had on us.

Jack and Kamara are defo passes. They are not flops (for various reasons) but they aren't that great either. I doubt any of them would be near a proper title-winning Rangers team tbh.

Could argue the top 3 would have been generally deemed shite, not good enough for us, yet excelled in a far harder league.

Rangers were a proper title winning team in waiting on 29/12/19. We just fucked it. Both can contribute to winning a league, they just need better than non contributors and weak players being the only ones pushing to take their jerseys.

30 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Suppose it depends in if we're talking genuine scottish or just those in the spfl. Hdlacky and Dykes really should be added to any debate on those in scotland worthy of consideration.

Purely scottish, then nah fair enough.

But plenty non scots, some plying their trade in scotland, showed far more quality than some scottish ever did.

Oh yeah completely agree.

I was only joking - It just was similar to the famous Antti Niemi/Scottish/he’s no finished exchange that’s all.

Problem is, diddy clubs want stupid amounts of cash of thier best players when selling to us. If we were to go for Cosgrove or Ferguson, the sheep would want £3m plus, yet would take £1m if they went to England.

Then there's actually fuck all Scottish talent that would walk into our team.

Archived