Steven Gerrard - Post Match Reaction

Laudrup1984

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He is (more was) a good poster and is obviously a die hard but all I've seen from BridgeisBlue is negative post after negative post.

Some of them I don't necessarily disagree with but the general feeling I get is it's become nit-picking for faults. Win 2-0 v Lyon, 'aye, that's all well and good but wait til we play the park the bus teams'. Beat a park the bus team 3-0, 'aye, but he should have gone with 6 up front in the last half hour to win by five'.

tbf to BIB we did finish that game with Jack,Kamara and Davis on the park.:anguish:

1 hour ago, GA1972 said:

Says he wants more goals if he’s being critical 

Don’t bring Davis on at 3-0 if that’s what you want 

Other than that spot on 

And don't bring on a 6ft 2 striker and take off our most dangerous crosser of a ball. 

Gerrard quote from the record,

“There is still that pressure of being a Rangers player,” he said. “Still that pressure that you need to win the game.

“A lot of teams are going to sit here and set us the challenge to find the breakthrough.

“Jim (Goodwin) has been going on all week about how well they’ve been defending and how solid and organised they look and he’s come here and set us a challenge today.

“But I’ve got to give the players lots and lots of credit because we stayed on from the first whistle as we chased the breakthrough.

“We all know how good this crowd can be and the lift they can give you.

“The players have got to find a way of lifting each other out there. They’ve got to praise each other and give them the lift a crowd naturally provides.

“But we all realise that even though they’re not here on the terraces, there’s hundreds and hundreds of thousands watching at home.

“You only have to look at the reaction to kit sales and season ticket sales.

“I make it very clear that even though they’re not here, they are still with us and the responsibility for us is to get results.”

I think the subs are two fold in reasoning. 1 give players who want to be in the first 11 time on the pitch to prove they should be in the first 11 and 2, rest some players and get match time in to others as he wants a 60 game season, so this needs to start early. We still have to October to buy players, if the ones who get time can't cut it they can't say they were not given the chance. We can all argue about who should be in and who should be out; but, Gerrard will want to say to a player that they were given plenty of opportunity to prove their worth and they did'nt, so dumpsville for you, with no arguements that he is being unfair. 

27 minutes ago, ZZed said:

I think the subs are two fold in reasoning. 1 give players who want to be in the first 11 time on the pitch to prove they should be in the first 11 and 2, rest some players and get match time in to others as he wants a 60 game season, so this needs to start early. We still have to October to buy players, if the ones who get time can't cut it they can't say they were not given the chance. We can all argue about who should be in and who should be out; but, Gerrard will want to say to a player that they were given plenty of opportunity to prove their worth and they did'nt, so dumpsville for you, with no arguements that he is being unfair. 

I agree with that reasoning. the team this season needs to be 'Fast and Furious' to stop teams parking the bus. Giving them playing time is important as they'll need to be match fit and ready to go, so that the squad rotation can be done effectively to keep this sort of pace.

27 minutes ago, ZZed said:

I think the subs are two fold in reasoning. 1 give players who want to be in the first 11 time on the pitch to prove they should be in the first 11 and 2, rest some players and get match time in to others as he wants a 60 game season, so this needs to start early. We still have to October to buy players, if the ones who get time can't cut it they can't say they were not given the chance.

We can all argue about who should be in and who should be out; but, Gerrard will want to say to a player that they were given plenty of opportunity to prove their worth and they did'nt, so dumpsville for you, with no arguements that he is being unfair. 

Of course it is, that's the professional way of managing your squad and maximising the best you can get out of them....they all need to get game time or the risk is they're rusty when you really need to call on them.

It's one thing wanting to batter teams (I recall more games than not during peak Souness/Advocaat/Smith eras) where we've gone long periods without "battering" anyone....and we had significantly better teams then.  

It's not like we didn't create chances, 28 shots on goal and 12 on target.  St. Mirren played with a bus parked, so plenty of blocks and the keeper played well.  But with that amount of pressure and attempts, you would hope to maybe have a couple or more extra goals.  Bringing on more attacking players is unlikely to improve that stat, all it would likely do is add to the congestion around the box, making it actually more difficult to score.

4 minutes ago, coopsleftboot said:

Of course it is, that's the professional way of managing your squad and maximising the best you can get out of them....they all need to get game time or the risk is they're rusty when you really need to call on them.

It's one thing wanting to batter teams (I recall more games than not during peak Souness/Advocaat/Smith eras) where we've gone long periods without "battering" anyone....and we had significantly better teams then.  

It's not like we didn't create chances, 28 shots on goal and 12 on target.  St. Mirren played with a bus parked, so plenty of blocks and the keeper played well.  But with that amount of pressure and attempts, you would hope to maybe have a couple or more extra goals.  Bringing on more attacking players is unlikely to improve that stat, all it would likely do is add to the congestion around the box, making it actually more difficult to score.

These are the bits a lot of people forget.

2 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

I agree with that reasoning. the team this season needs to be 'Fast and Furious' to stop teams parking the bus. Giving them playing time is important as they'll need to be match fit and ready to go, so that the squad rotation can be done effectively to keep this sort of pace.

Bollocks to that, let's keep slowing playing side to side in midfield and play triangles across the cb's and def midfielder, that's where the artistic judges points come from.

4 hours ago, Malvern said:

Bollocks to that, let's keep slowing playing side to side in midfield and play triangles across the cb's and def midfielder, that's where the artistic judges points come from.

:thumbsup:

I prefer the team to be 'Fast and Furious'. From my observations the ref/linesmen for some reason or other, slows the game down when our team have gained momentum, it's then the opposition teams park the bus and our team struggle to break through.

Archived