Gerrard on Davis

Leeds_Bear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54032316

Steven Gerrard: Rangers boss praises Northern Ireland's Steven Davis

Steven Gerrard believes if Steven Davis equals the Northern Ireland caps record it will be testament to the high standards he sets himself every day.

Northern Ireland's captain, 35, is one short of iconic keeper Pat Jennings' 119-match record going into Monday's Nations League game against Norway.

Gerrard, Davis' club boss at Rangers, was full of praise for the man he signed from Southampton last year.

"I have got nothing but admiration for Steven," he told Sportsound Extra Time.

Caps record a huge incentive - Davis

"It would be a magnificent achievement for him to equal the record. From someone who knows what you have to sacrifice to get to those sort of numbers, he deserves a lot of credit and all the plaudits that will come his way.

"It just goes to show the standards he sets himself on a daily basis. To still be performing at such a high level at his age, and to still have the hunger and desire to keep breaking these records is incredible."

'Fitting' to reach British record also

Davis is in his second spell as a Rangers player

Davis once again wore the captain's armband for Friday night's Nations League 1-1 draw against Romania in Bucharest - new manager Ian Baraclough's first match in charge.

If he plays on Monday he could then break the appearance record next month, when Baraclough's side are away to Bosnia-Herzegovina in a Euro play-off semi-final.

The former Aston Villa and Fulham man is also just seven caps short of the all-time British international appearance record of 125 - held by former England keeper Peter Shilton - and Gerrard has backed him to break that too.

"First and foremost he's a top human being. He's a lovely lad who goes about his work in a professional way, so it would be fitting if he goes on and breaks it," the former Liverpool captain continued.

"From a selfish point of view, every manager gets nervous when their players go off on international duty, but he deserves it because of all the hard work he's put in."

Low maintenance Davis 'manages himself'

Davis and Gerrard are former midfield opponents

Davis is in his second spell at Ibrox, having won three league titles, two Scottish Cups, three League Cups and reached the Uefa Cup final when he first played for the Scottish Premiership outfit.

Gerrard, who signed Davis from the Saints in January 2019, said he knew from his experiences of playing against him in the English Premier League that he would be a good addition.

"He's been extremely important, both on and off the pitch. He's so low maintenance, he manages himself, really," he added.

"He hadn't played too much before he joined but once he settled in and got himself up to speed, his performances have been top-class. He has been one of my most consistent performers.

"One of the major reasons I wanted to get him in was that I had experienced playing against him first-hand. I had competed against him and got to know how he carries himself in battle. I knew what he was going to bring.

"I had obviously watched him up at Rangers before and knew that he could handle the crowd. There were a lot of advantages of bringing him in - it was a 'no-brainer' for me to make it happen as soon as I could.

"With some signings you have to take certain risks, but I knew signing Steven had no risk attached at all. You speak to people around him and they tell you he is still in fantastic shape."

I don't think Davis and Defoe will be big players for us this season.  They will probably add more value from a coaching capacity and passing on what they've learned over the years.  No doubt both will hang up their boots at the end of the season but they've had great careers. 

14 minutes ago, TMB said:

I don't think Davis and Defoe will be big players for us this season.  They will probably add more value from a coaching capacity and passing on what they've learned over the years.  No doubt both will hang up their boots at the end of the season but they've had great careers. 

When fit, Davis is always one of Gerrard's preferred choices. I don't always agree but Gerrard definitely trusts him.

No doubt this will draw criticism from the usual moaners who think a manager not shit talking one of his own players in the media means that he thinks he's undroppable or good enough for us to win the league with, even despite the fact he's 5th choice in a position Gerrard has openly made clear he is looking to improve.

31 minutes ago, Broxi said:

No doubt this will draw criticism from the usual moaners who think a manager not shit talking one of his own players in the media means that he thinks he's undroppable or good enough for us to win the league with, even despite the fact he's 5th choice in a position Gerrard has openly made clear he is looking to improve.

He’s fifth choice in a position with 3/4 players and he’s started ahead of two of them in the last two games lol

31 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He’s fifth choice in a position with 3/4 players and he’s started ahead of two of them in the last two games lol

If you're talking about the middle 3 CMs in general then Aribo, Jack, Kamara and Hagi are all ahead of them, and he's probably on par with Arfield.

If you're talking about a deeper role in a 4-2-3-1 then he's still 3rd choice behind Jack and Kamara. And he will likely be one further down the list after a new signing arrives. 

Unfortunately age effects us all , different type of player we got from Southampton compared to the creative Davis of old ,still a very clever footballer position wise just doesn’t effect the games positively very often now 

the first time around spl winning Davis absolute light years ahead of any player supposedly in their peak or younger years in the current team 

I know a lot of people think Davis slows our play down but he's the one player in the middle with the passing ability to get the ball forward quickest, not always about running with the ball, better players let the ball do the work.

We do require better in there though.

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Why is it bizarre?

If there's a thread on Davis or discussion about him you can near enough guarantee @.Williamson. will post something similar to what he posted. I don't think the same happens with say McGregor although maybe I've just not noticed it.

That, plus he's from NI where Davis will rightly go down as a legend just makes it a bit bizarre to me.

Archived