UEFA prize money to be cut for next five seasons

Prince George

Prize money in European club competitions will be cut for the next five years due to loses caused by COVID-19 pandemic. UEFA has told its 55 member associations that £514 million has been lost from its club competitions, the champions league and the Europa league, last season due to a reduction in sponsorship.

36 minutes ago, Prince George said:

Prize money in European club competitions will be cut for the next five years due to loses caused by COVID-19 pandemic. UEFA has told its 55 member associations that £514 million has been lost from its club competitions, the champions league and the Europa league, last season due to a reduction in sponsorship.

Aye but I made it up when clubs told me it would happen here with individual and collective sponsors. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Aye but I made it up when clubs told me it would happen here with individual and collective sponsors. 

I didn't see that thread, but it makes absolute sense for domestic and European competition to offer less prize money for a time. 

Makes our transfer business all the more impressive considering. 

40 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I didn't see that thread, but it makes absolute sense for domestic and European competition to offer less prize money for a time. 

Makes our transfer business all the more impressive considering. 

Aye it was way back when all this shit was kicking off with covid and league suspensions and clubs were utterly shitting themselves at the prospect of sponsors wanting huge rebates/pulling the plug completely. I've been really impressed with our business (on the surface at least) and hope we've not just looked to push payments for players back

38 minutes ago, The Hammer 11 said:

Elite European football will turn into a NFL style setup.

Always going to happen when the Champions League became anything but the "champions" league and UEFA became more powerful than FIFA.

Now FIFA are doing this power grab before UEFA do. 

19 hours ago, The Dude said:

Aye it was way back when all this shit was kicking off with covid and league suspensions and clubs were utterly shitting themselves at the prospect of sponsors wanting huge rebates/pulling the plug completely. I've been really impressed with our business (on the surface at least) and hope we've not just looked to push payments for players back

Pushing payments back seems a clever move to me.  We don’t know what COVID will mean for football this season, or next season. 

Plus, the more players we can get on loan with an option to buy the better.  It cuts down the financial risk considerably.  For example, If Zungu doesn’t work we can just send him back. We’re not stuck with him for 3 years.

1 hour ago, esquire8 said:

Elite European football will turn into a NFL style setup.

Always going to happen when the Champions League became anything but the "champions" league and UEFA became more powerful than FIFA.

Now FIFA are doing this power grab before UEFA do. 

Footballs fucked 

utter shite now 

Has to come a point when people get sick of the same 10 or so teams being miles clear of the rest 

The elite clubs are generally absolute scumbags who are out to grab as much cash and play as many games in Asia as possible. Any ‘European Premier League’ would probably get played in Asia and North America 

1 hour ago, GA1972 said:

Has to come a point when people get sick of the same 10 or so teams being miles clear of the rest 

The elite clubs are generally absolute scumbags who are out to grab as much cash and play as many games in Asia as possible. Any ‘European Premier League’ would probably get played in Asia and North America 

Surely if that’s the case, then a ‘super league’ format that effectively takes away the mega clubs from the everyday game paves the way for teams like Rangers to progress further?

It’s been done to death, but should the big 3/4/5 leave England then I’m almost convinced that both us and the child touchers would be down south pretty quickly. 

2 hours ago, papaguy51 said:

Surely if that’s the case, then a ‘super league’ format that effectively takes away the mega clubs from the everyday game paves the way for teams like Rangers to progress further?

It’s been done to death, but should the big 3/4/5 leave England then I’m almost convinced that both us and the child touchers would be down south pretty quickly. 

Apparently they’re still going to play in their own domestic leagues but try to replace the Champions League with this closed shop bollocks where they’ll invite a couple of ‘guest’ teams every year to make it a tiny bit less disgusting 

2 hours ago, papaguy51 said:

Whats the point really though, big 5 leave england you can be sure the next tv renewal bid comes up it will be for button, infact if this breakaway league happens during sky and bt contracts i wouldnt put it past the broadcasters trying to claw back some money given its not what they bidded for

This league idea is just a total novelty, and it will wear off fast. There's nothing wrong with domestic leagues and 2 European cup competitions every year. The near 150 years of league football has proved this.

The super cup and the world club championship are as much novelty as the domestic game could ever need.

Archived