Arfield Injury

Brackley Bluenose

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Fwiw, I think the pain would have been more evident and the stretcher woulda been on if it was ACL.

I actually thought it was up the back of his hammy.

Not done it myself but I know a few guys who have.

Some have said they didn’t feel anything initially but knew there was trouble when their knees started to feel unstable.

Didn’t Naismith get up and play on a bit after doing his (perhaps twice??)?

16 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Some have said they didn’t feel anything initially but knew there was trouble when their knees started to feel unstable.

Yeah, I’ve done my left ACL twice. The second time was actually worse than the first but on both occasions, I could still limp/just about walk away. Albeit, the 2nd time was an even bigger pop though which made walking more difficult. Horrible, but strangely not overly painful and often lesser injuries are actually sorer. 

16 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Did my ACL on the plastic pitches opposite Ibrox - I felt a pop and then an incredibly sharp pain in the knee that had me lying on the pitch in agony. Of course, being super bright, I then hopped over and went in goals for a bit before realising the knee was completely fucked!! Fortunately I eventually got it surgically repaired, and by the same surgeon that fixed Naismiths knee and Larssons leg (just luck of the draw that I got him). Never played football again but fine for squash and badminton.

Arfields didn't look like an ACL - seemed to be around the ankle, so hopefully a strain rather than ligament damage. Probably won't know for a day or so as you generally have to wait for the swelling to go down before getting a scan. Would imagine they should know on Monday or Tuesday.

3 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

Yeah, I’ve done my left ACL twice. The second time was actually worse than the first but on both occasions, I could still limp/just about walk away. Albeit, the 2nd time was an even bigger pop though which made walking more difficult. Horrible, but strangely not overly painful and often lesser injuries are actually sorer. 

Sorry to hear that mate.

Hope you made a good recovery.

That’s pretty much how I’ve them described (or seen, when I’ve been there).

Got to say, I wince every time I see something like that - my mind goes back to Mols in Munich & how that turned out.

6 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

Did my ACL on the plastic pitches opposite Ibrox - I felt a pop and then an incredibly sharp pain in the knee that had me lying on the pitch in agony. Of course, being super bright, I then hopped over and went in goals for a bit before realising the knee was completely fucked!! Fortunately I eventually got it surgically repaired, and by the same surgeon that fixed Naismiths knee and Larssons leg (just luck of the draw that I got him). Never played football again but fine for squash and badminton.

Arfields didn't look like an ACL - seemed to be around the ankle, so hopefully a strain rather than ligament damage. Probably won't know for a day or so as you generally have to wait for the swelling to go down before getting a scan. Would imagine they should know on Monday or Tuesday.

Ouch!

’Run it off’ came the cry! (Been there, done that!)

Sorry to hear that mate, but sounds as if you’ve had a reasonable recovery & been in good hands!

Good that you can still do the squash & badminton.

The squash would seem particularly punishing, with the hard surface & constant changes of direction, so it’s a shame you never played football again - but I always maintain it’s the knee to knee contact that shortens the careers of a lot of people in football & I guess you can get by ok without that particular risk?

Small comfort, but you can always claim your football career was ended ‘at Ibrox’...

55 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

I done my acl on plastic pitch too. I heard a pop and my leg just kinda slapped down like i didnt have control.

I went in goal for a bit and then when i came back out,  tried to turn at pace and my knee totally gave way, it felt like my kneecap had moved!!

Was quite sore but not as bad as cracking my head on a beam....lol

Anyways, i had reconstructive surgery but cartilage virtually gone.

The rehab is tough but the injury itsf isnt too bad as you think you can play on......dont!!

1 hour ago, TartanTeddy said:

Was it prof Leach that done it? He was the guy that repaired mine and i remember kidding on with him that only good footballers got it as it was just after Shearer and van nistelrooy!!

A like arfield, especially when he gets beyond oor strikers, his movement at times in tight areas is also first class and when asked to roll up the sleeves it is never a problem , players like him it takes alot for them to come off during a game which is a concern, hes 1 that would have been really looking forward to the game on the 2nd, i dont have a great feeling about his injury and hope i am wrong as jack doesnt seem close to a return either 

11 hours ago, HG5 said:

Possibly mate. I've torn my cruciate before and felt that straight away. I just remember the lack of movement when Murphy went down at Killie.

Big loss but if Jack is back then I doubt he would of been in the starting 11. Hibs we’re getting a lot of chances at Tavernier's side, Jack is brilliant at stopping these chances.  

Out of our 20 games so far in the league the 7 Jack hasn’t  played in has had the 4 games where we conceded 5 goals, I don’t think that’s a coincidence. 

3 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Possibly mate. I've torn my cruciate before and felt that straight away. I just remember the lack of movement when Murphy went down at Killie.

Seems there’s a wide range of responses & I’m sure there are plenty of occasions you ‘just know’, straight away.

Hope you’re ok after it, mate.

15 hours ago, Bearsden bear said:

Was it prof Leach that done it? He was the guy that repaired mine and i remember kidding on with him that only good footballers got it as it was just after Shearer and van nistelrooy!!

Yeah, and have to say he did a great job, never really had a twinge of pain or any concerns since finishing the rehab, and that must be something like 15 years ago. Sadly on the day I had a quick consult before surgery so didn't get the chance to bend his ear about the players he'd operated on - plus at that point I think I was probably just bricking it pre surgery :lol:

16 hours ago, HG5 said:

The squash would seem particularly punishing, with the hard surface & constant changes of direction, so it’s a shame you never played football again - but I always maintain it’s the knee to knee contact that shortens the careers of a lot of people in football & I guess you can get by ok without that particular risk?

Small comfort, but you can always claim your football career was ended ‘at Ibrox’...

Played Sunday morning badminton for about ten years and then gradually got back into squash a few years ago, was initially a bit fearful but it's held up really well. I could probably play football again, but at my age now it's really not worth it and with plastic pitches and the fear of someone lumbering into you I made the decision to properly knock it on the head - as Bearsden Bear said above, the rehab is the toughest part and it takes ages, and I've no desire to ever have to go through that again

Game it happened was actually on a European night at Ibrox, so I ended up sitting in my usual seat after our game with a football sock wrapped around the knee and only went to A&E afterwards when I realised something was properly wrong!!  We did win though, so career ending on a successful Euro night at Ibrox does sound good!! 

9 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

Played Sunday morning badminton for about ten years and then gradually got back into squash a few years ago, was initially a bit fearful but it's held up really well. I could probably play football again, but at my age now it's really not worth it and with plastic pitches and the fear of someone lumbering into you I made the decision to properly knock it on the head - as Bearsden Bear said above, the rehab is the toughest part and it takes ages, and I've no desire to ever have to go through that again

Game it happened was actually on a European night at Ibrox, so I ended up sitting in my usual seat after our game with a football sock wrapped around the knee and only went to A&E afterwards when I realised something was properly wrong!!  We did win though, so career ending on a successful Euro night at Ibrox does sound good!! 

Unfortunately, amateur sport doesn’t pay our wages, so sounds like you’ve played it very sensibly.

I like how you took in the Gers match before you decided something needed doing!

Had a few incidents like that myself - I’d usually say ‘I’ll wait til the swelling goes down & if it’s still troublesome...’

Archived