Absolutely no excuse for not winning both cups this season

RangersMedia

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

The Rangers one of 1997 mate, Not world beaters but definitely not the absolute shambles that Gerrard inherited either.

Again the team that lost the 10iar broke up, iirc advocaat was left with 13 first team squad members when he arrived, and it was guys like durie, mccinnes, both fergusons, negri for all he was worth, petric etc

Advocaat had a massive rebuild on, not unlike the tarrier one now, 

12 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Again the team that lost the 10iar broke up, iirc advocaat was left with 13 first team squad members when he arrived, and it was guys like durie, mccinnes, both fergusons, negri for all he was worth, petric etc

Advocaat had a massive rebuild on, not unlike the tarrier one now, 

The remnants of that squad were still a step above Harry Forester, Jason Holt, David Bates and Carlos fucking Pena.

£30 million spent in 1998 adjusted for inflation is the equivalent of Gerrard going out and spending £54 million today. 

It’s not a great comparison, Gerrard has spent half of that over 3 seasons. 

Advocaat (as you would expect) kept the best parts of what had been the team that fucked 10.

He had a RB who had been signed for 4 million and won the CL, a 5 million pound CB, Vidmar who was a perfectly capable football player, his defense was sound - he had Ferguson who would become the best Scottish player of his generation, Albertz,  Ian Ferguson who done him a solid turn in his first season, Johannson the same. He was handed perfectly capable/exceptional football players as a core and then basically gifted a spending cheat code at the time no manager in Scotland will likely ever see again to perform a rebuild of signing established football players from around Europe

CL winning keepers, ex EPL winning wingers, WC winning forwards, LB's who had went and ripped up the World Cup - players at their peak or heading into their peak from across the top leagues in Europe - how did he ever pull of the miracle of winning things, incredible. 

21 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Advocaat (as you would expect) kept the best parts of what had been the team that fucked 10.

He had a RB who had been signed for 4 million and won the CL, a 5 million pound CB, Vidmar who was a perfectly capable football player, his defense was sound - he had Ferguson who would become the best Scottish player of his generation, Albertz,  Ian Ferguson who done him a solid turn in his first season, Johannson the same. He was handed perfectly capable football players as a core and then basically gifted a spending cheat code at the time no manager in Scotland will likely ever see again to perform a rebuild of signing established football players from around Europe

CL winning keepers, ex EPL winning wingers, WC winning forwards, LB's who had went and ripped up the World Cup - players at their peak or heading into their peak from across the top leagues in Europe - how did he ever pull of the miracle of winning things, incredible. 

The 83 million Dick spent on transfers would be closer to 200 million in today’s market.

1 minute ago, Real Ranger said:

The 83 million Dick spent on transfers would be closer to 200 million in today’s market.

I really enjoyed his first 2 seasons, but looking back now he didn't do enough with that cash. Disappointing in Europe despite some amazing results imo. The way O'Neils long ball thugs beat his team was shocking.

3 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

I really enjoyed his first 2 seasons, but looking back now he didn't do enough with that cash. Disappointing in Europe despite some amazing results imo. The way O'Neils long ball thugs beat his team was shocking.

First 2 seasons was the best football I’ve seen from a Rangers team but it quickly fell apart.

11 hours ago, psb07158 said:

"Yes we should have won but we didn't and we lost to St Johnstone, a team whose annual wage bill for their entire squad is less than what we pay Jermain Defoe"

Fuck up. Take your mediocrity elsewhere.

I hate to pile-in on the fat jokes, but you need to observe Ramadan with me, tubby. 

Why does everyone think you're a fucking tosspot?

It was all about 55 when we were were going for the league yep. But we won it ages ago and then the priority was the cup, we had ages to prepare and on the day we weren't up to it. I wanted it so badly which is why I can't just say oh well the league was the main thing. If you're OK with throwing away the cup, how badly did you want it in the first place? 

On 26/04/2021 at 13:46, Valance1690 said:

Been 1 of Gerrard's biggest critics and even I cant see how he takes any blame for last night

Wednesday night aye, he rested players and we got a shitty draw, was a dead rubber match so is what it is

Last night though he picked the team nearly everybody would've picked (Wright had a shout but he went with his trusted front 3) & he made subs early enough in the match to make a difference

And for as bad as we were going forward, you cannot legislate for your players not being able to take it upon themselves to mark a massive cunt in a green jersey standing 6 yards out in the 122nd minute, that's absolutely criminal.

We definitely have issues going forward, we don't score anywhere near enough for how dominant we are in games but fuck me watching that corner back is infuriating  

As we have struggled to break down St Johnston on a number of occassions I would say the manager, coaching staff and players, all should have been well ready to find solutions to put this team to the sword. It’s the manager as much as the last minute goals. It’s not good enough for Rangers.

Archived