How Much Is Gerrard Worth?

BlueSuedeSambas

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Hmm.

You imply Gerrard could leave and we would get nothing.

You insist most managers can leave their contracts without having to buy it out, without penalty.

You'll not find me saying or implying it in the thread.

Correct. Gerrard could well leave us and we get nothing. Two simple examples - he may have a break clause that, as long as he/the club gives notice be a set date (say March 1) he can leave at the end of the season without penalty to either party. There could also be a clause in his contract that allows him to leave without compensation should certain clubs approach him/certain other conditions be met. Neither of those are particularly out of the realms of possibility.

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Win the league this season then leaves in the summer and it's a piss poor record overall. 

Should've easily won the treble last season but made a rip roaring cunt of it. 

He'll need to win the treble this season if that's not to be held against him, he's been unlucky at times in the cups, also made some mistakes but hopefully a good showing this season will rectify that.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You'll not find me saying or implying it in the thread.

Correct. Gerrard could well leave us and we get nothing. Two simple examples - he may have a break clause that, as long as he/the club gives notice be a set date (say March 1) he can leave at the end of the season without penalty to either party. There could also be a clause in his contract that allows him to leave without compensation should certain clubs approach him/certain other conditions be met. Neither of those are particularly out of the realms of possibility.

You implied it as fact that Gerrard could just resign and we’d get nothing.

Not that there may be unknown and unlikely clauses that could facilitate this at certain points if they existed. 

Sometimes better to just hold your hands up and admit you made a cunt of it.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So where is that me saying or implying that  it was more common for managers to leave for free than having to pay compensation to get them? 

Oh sorry, I thought you were saying that you had not implied that Gerrard could not walk away for no compensation. So just to be clear, you accept that you implied that you said this. Only that when you said he could 'easily' do it, you actually meant against all odds as we would most likely be due compensation?

For the record, to answer your question above, you actually imply that here:-

18 hours ago, The Dude said:

It would be a much rarer occurrence but depending on which break clauses are in Gerrards contract (and those are FAR more common) there may well be nothing which stops him walking for fuck all. 

Aye its not THAT uncommon at all. Best case, there's a p in the £ figure in the contract. 

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Think you are doing Gerrard a bit of a disservice there tbh.

There still seems to be people along our support who don’t think he’s done that good of a job, but most people looking in, especially in England, think he’s done an incredible job with us.

People will probably laugh at this, but he’s one of the best young managers in Europe. It’s just a matter of time before somebody shows real interest in him.

Yeah , I take your point and agree with it . I have high expectations but maybe I need to be realistic .

It's some of the lackluster performances that have me doubting him . The fantastic performance we had before the Dubai trip last season , followed by basically throwing the league away was a bit puzzling . 

Great with the media and he's a big name , I'm just not sure he's the finished article .....I'd rather have had MacInnes of course :whistle: 

1 minute ago, Land Rover said:

Yeah , I take your point and agree with it . I have high expectations but maybe I need to be realistic .

It's some of the lackluster performances that have me doubting him . The fantastic performance we had before the Dubai trip last season , followed by basically throwing the league away was a bit puzzling . 

Great with the media and he's a big name , I'm just not sure he's the finished article .....I'd rather have had MacInnes of course :whistle: 

He’s definitely got flaws and still has a lot to learn, but I think he has a lot of up side as a manager.

When he leaves us it’s going to be interesting to see how his sides fare in a more open and expansive league where teams try to play and it isn’t a case of always having to break down a low block.

His next move is going to be to England, but I would love to see him at somewhere like Dortmund.

9 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Oh sorry, I thought you were saying that you had not implied that Gerrard could not walk away for no compensation. So just to be clear, you accept that you implied that you said this. Only that when you said he could 'easily' do it, you actually meant against all odds as we would most likely be due compensation?

For the record, to answer your question above, you actually imply that here:-

Nowhere in any of those posts do I suggest it is more common for managers to leave for free than having to pay compensation to get them.

Nowhere in any of those posts do I suggest it is more common for managers to leave for free than having to pay compensation to get them.

You clearly do...

18 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Is it very common for clubs to bring managers in on long term contracts with break clauses saying they can leave whenever they want for nothing?

Aye its not THAT uncommon at all. Best case, there's a p in the £ figure in the contract. 

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It’s not so important that you maintain that stance mate. It’s a trivial aspect of a decent debate. 
it’s ok to stop now. 

So where does "Aye its not THAT uncommon at all. Best case, there's a p in the £ figure in the contract" morph into "it is more common for managers to leave for free than having to pay compensation to get them"?

Okay. lets pretend for a second that you have not been implying that it is likely Gerrard can just up and leave for free.

Lets look at your undisputable claim above that the absolute best case scenario is that we get a 'pence in the pound' value for his services.

You are claiming that it is impossible for Gerrard to have a clause like Lampard had when Chelsea paid between 3-4 million for him.

Surely Chelsea could just have stated, no, we dont care what that contract states, the most you are entitled to is a fraction of that.

This is why I asked you to back up your claim with some examples of managers who have used these loopholes to move for nothing or nominal sums. As far as I can see, you have not been able to provide any beyond Lee Bowyer.

21 hours ago, Willis said:

Hes won the Scottish league one time, he won't be worth anything near the figures people are posting 😅

1 trophy out 9 and failed to make the champions league this year with a title winning squad , on paper there’s no way he warrant the figures people want here 

Just now, The Hammer 11 said:

1 trophy out 9 and failed to make the champions league this year with a title winning squad , on paper there’s no way he warrant the figures people want here 

Some Bears constantly do this to themselves, pull random figures out of nowhere as a player valuation, when there's nothing to suggest they're worth that much. Then they take the piss out of the taigs when we're just as bad. What someone is worth in England or other parts of Europe isn't what they're worth in Scotland.

Gerrard would be a massive gamble for any English club and that's without paying millions to get him. I don't see why folk are acting like Gerrard is a proven successful manager. Hes had one good season thats looking like a potential fluke at times. Would be madness to have a treasure trove of billions and then take the risk of appointing Gerrard.

1 hour ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Okay. lets pretend for a second that you have not been implying that it is likely Gerrard can just up and leave for free.

Lets look at your undisputable claim above that the absolute best case scenario is that we get a 'pence in the pound' value for his services.

You are claiming that it is impossible for Gerrard to have a clause like Lampard had when Chelsea paid between 3-4 million for him.

Surely Chelsea could just have stated, no, we dont care what that contract states, the most you are entitled to is a fraction of that.

This is why I asked you to back up your claim with some examples of managers who have used these loopholes to move for nothing or nominal sums. As far as I can see, you have not been able to provide any beyond Lee Bowyer.

Lampard's compensation fee was p in the £.

1 hour ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

This an outright lie. I haven't made any such claim.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Lampard's compensation fee was p in the £.

What 100p in the £?

He was a year into a 3 year deal, meaning that he had two years left. He was being paid 1.75m per year.

Chelsea paid between 3-4m to get him.

1.75m x 2 = 3.5m, which is seemingly the figure they paid for him.

Are you now trying to say that by 'p in the £' you actually mean the full value of his outstanding contract, like I have been saying from the very start?

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

What 100p in the £?

He was a year into a 3 year deal, meaning that he had two years left. He was being paid 1.75m per year.

Chelsea paid between 3-4m to get him.

1.75m x 2 = 3.5m, which is seemingly the figure they paid for him.

Are you now trying to say that by 'p in the £' you actually mean the full value of his outstanding contract, like I have been saying from the very start?

And what about the other staff Lampard took with him from Derby? Same with the 8.8m Leicester paid for Rodgers and his staff

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And what about the other staff Lampard took with him from Derby? Same with the 8.8m Leicester paid for Rodgers and his staff

What about the other staff? I dont know how much  Chelsea paid to get them. They paid between 3-4m for Lampard though.

Same with the 8.8m Leicester paid? What? 8.8m was a 'p in the £' price for a year of their salary? So lets say it was 50p in the £, do you expect me to believe that celtic were paying Rodgers and his staff close to 18m a year???

I would bet that that 8.8m was either the entire remaining amount in their contract, or even above this.

You are in cloud cuckoo land mate.

You may of course be misusing the term 'p in the £' in some form of way to indicate that it is not intended to represent something way below the listed value. If so, you have made an even bigger mess of your argument than I thought.