Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

30 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

He has to clear this up today as far as I’m concerned. If it drags on another day he’s away imo 

Yeah , his silence isn't doing anyone any good though I reckon he'll wait to see what they've to say before commenting . 

4 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

What gives you that belief? Remember plg's record before joining us was phenomenal 

Just curious btw

I’ve seen enough of Lampard’s Chelsea and Derby to say I think he’s a better coach than people give him credit for. People treat him like he was McCoist levels of bad and I don’t think he was.

Also think there isn’t that same culture difference that there was with PLG either.

To call him a legend is really pushing it btw. 

A legend if he stays and delivers a treble. 

I’m genuinely surprised at him as a person if this does go through and all the signs look likely. For all his stature and aura that he brings with him deep down he’s just another mercenary who jumps at the first concrete offer. 

I only hope he stays because having stability is our best chance at retaining the title but honestly in my eyes I’m happy for him to go in the summer and tbh the fact it looks 99% he’s considering it I want him to go if that’s the case, we don’t need this level of distraction every time a EPL job comes up 

When this is announced he’s definitely going to release a statement with all the soundbites - fantastic three years, great supporters, tough decision to go, supporter for life - and what not, but it’s going to mean very little and come across like pandering birthday card pish.

Birmingham Live are reading this forum and printing some of the comments.

Rangers fans have been reacting on the Rangers Media messageboard.

One said: “He’s off. Brendan ditched them and Gerrard looks like ditching us. That’s sadly where our mickey mouse tin pot league leaves us.”

Another said: “Trying my best not to get drawn into this, going to wait until there’s concrete news from the club. Hate all this rumour carry on, this journo said this, this source said that. Would be enough to make your head spin.”

A third added: “Oh dear oh dear!! Gotta imagine Beale etc will go as part of his team too… Proper hard one on who will be the next manager tbh!!! Genuinely no clue!!”

Finally: “Can’t see anything but a massive decline if its true. Season will fall to bits. I’ll be fuming if he does ditch us although not shocked.”

4 minutes ago, GetToTheChoppa said:

He deserves a move to the EPL, but leaving us during season is a bit of a kick to the old scrotum.

Whats a good season for Villa ? Europa League? Pish club and pish move.

Hope he see's sense.

If he goes now it's a big kick in the balls for sure.

He would be leaving with a league cup semi final, win or bust europa league match and away trips in the league that will be massive towards the title.  Our season could make or break. 

At villa best he can do is a cup run, and mid table finish this season.

The issue for us is clubs down in England would rate that higher than winning trophies with us, because of how much contempt they have for Scottish football. 

I hope he does stay as we need consistency this season.

What we need now but is something to be confirmed quickly. Don't need this kind of disruption. 

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

He has to clear this up today as far as I’m concerned. If it drags on another day he’s away imo 

I get what you're saying, but in the main, managers won't respond to every article that's posted about them. That's all that's happened here. A couple of (even if they are reputable) articles posted on line. Unless he's asked in a press conference, then he won't say anything. Why should he? He's got a job to do and speculation about his future is just that. Speculation.

1 minute ago, LegendofCoop said:

I get what you're saying, but in the main, managers won't respond to every article that's posted about them. That's all that's happened here. A couple of (even if they are reputable) articles posted on line. Unless he's asked in a press conference, then he won't say anything. Why should he? He's got a job to do and speculation about his future is just that. Speculation.

I like this answer 

This is more than that. Chris jack is the journo the club use and he's basically saying this will be completed very soon 

3 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

If he's asked in a presser, he's not going to say he wants to leave.

3 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

International week hasn’t helped here ,He would be doing a presser either yesterday or today .Plus being a free week folk always getting uptight about something.

Just now, The Dude said:

If he's asked in a presser, he's not going to say he wants to leave.

No, I'd expect him to deny it's happening if that was the case, or to just say no comment if it was a goer. 

Going to the trouble of releasing a statement every time someone prints a story is not necessary.

20 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

PLG’s record wasn’t phenomenal, for the record.

Guy inherited the best team in the league, spent more than his rivals, and limped over the line for his titles. Lyon’s proper dominance of winning the league by 10+ points started under Houllier.

Think it came out afterwards that a lot of the signings were made by the Sporting Director. I can’t remember his name, it’s escaping me atm.

I know we did the DOF thing with Advocaat for a while but that was the first time I can really remember hearing and looking into what a Sporting Director/DOF does. Before then I had always had the “managers manage” the club mentality.

No, I'd expect him to deny it's happening if that was the case, or to just say no comment if it was a goer. 

Going to the trouble of releasing a statement every time someone prints a story is not necessary.

Or - as Gerrard and every manager there's ever been are prone to - he'd simply give the answer he thinks we want to hear.

Say what you want about Gerrard but one thing I've learned while he's been here is that what he says in pressers is often miles away from reality. He plays the game and gives the 'right' answer, even if it comes back ad makes him look a bit daft down the line.