Steven Gerrard To Aston Villa - Official

The Dude

7 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

It probably was a missed opportunity but that is because Gerrard blew the champions league and we wouldn’t sell any players, apparently at his demand, not because of the board refusing to out their hands into their pockets again.

The board had already done their part and backed him massively to get us to where we were at the end of the 55 season.  It would have been financially stupid, to keep doing so, and as frustrating as it was a supporter I’m glad they didn’t because the clubs long term viability has to be the number one priority. Gerrard knew what our model as a club was and as soon as things didn’t pan out how he wanted he lost interest (which definitely reflected in our performances on the park) and then upped sticks and ran away at the first real offer he got.

Imagine the board backed him, especially after malmo, arguable wether we'd still have won the league, defo weren't making seville, 

The losses we'd have accrued last season would have been crippling, doubtful we'd have sold patterson as well

Our finances had gerrard been backed and stayed dont bear thinking about

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The board might well have promised financial backing, but unfortunately FFP rules and the lack of player sales would have hampered that, plus gerrard was front loaded (like the papes did with oneill) to the point that even a europa league last 16 run still had us with major losses

Would you or gerrard have been happy had we not added roofe, itten and hagi for the title season, or sold morelos and maybe say kent pre title season

Again your using lack of player sales which I suppose you're trying to go along with the tripe that Gerrard refused to sell players. 

3 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

It probably was a missed opportunity but that is because Gerrard blew the champions league and we wouldn’t sell any players, apparently at his demand, not because of the board refusing to put their hands into their pockets again.

The board had already done their part and backed him massively to get us to where we were at the end of the 55 season.  It would have been financially stupid, to keep doing so, and as frustrating as it was as a supporter I’m glad they didn’t because the clubs long term viability has to be the number one priority. Gerrard knew what our model as a club was and as soon as things didn’t pan out how he wanted he lost interest (which definitely reflected in our performances on the park) and then upped sticks and ran away at the first real offer he got.

Obviously no fan wants the board to put the club at risk but again you along with many others want to believe that Gerrard refused to sell players which is blatantly obvious a load of rubbish. In our financial position why would the board allow any manager to dictate that we couldn't bring in much needed finance. If the board did allow that they are showing themselves to be exceptionally weak.

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Imagine the board backed him, especially after malmo, arguable wether we'd still have won the league, defo weren't making seville, 

The losses we'd have accrued last season would have been crippling, doubtful we'd have sold patterson as well

Our finances had gerrard been backed and stayed dont bear thinking about

How can you say defo weren't making Seville if he had been backed we'd have had a stronger team taking on our European opponents that season we may well have won the trophy, who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

An opportunity missed when we had put ourselves well in front. 

Take it you know if such acceptable bids we refused

1 minute ago, Kylegib said:

How can you say defo weren't making Seville if he had been backed we'd have had a stronger team taking on our European opponents that season we may well have won the trophy, who knows. 

Cause gerrard struggled to win anything domestically, you may believe he could have done it but overwhelming evidence would indicate he had absolutely no chance 

6 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Take it you know if such acceptable bids we refused

Cause gerrard struggled to win anything domestically, you may believe he could have done it but overwhelming evidence would indicate he had absolutely no chance 

Was he not regularly doing well in EL and who played for us in that campaign that wasn't part of his team that won us the title. I agree domestic cup competitions he should've done much better.

39 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

Was he not regularly doing well in EL and who played for us in that campaign that wasn't part of his team that won us the title. I agree domestic cup competitions he should've done much better.

Gerrard couldnt get by the last 16, great achievement to get there but it looked like he had stalled and infact for whatever reason he was going backwards, we were in real danger of going out in the groups till gio took over

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Gerrard couldnt get by the last 16, great achievement to get there but it looked like he had stalled and infact for whatever reason he was going backwards, we were in real danger of going out in the groups till gio took over

We did again though would we have got further had we strengthened?

It's the same for any manager we have going forward if they are not backed we'll have to watch celtic dominate. 

Gerrard did refuse any requests to sell players in the summer after 55, it’s well established by numerous sources. 

The board were a bit dazzled by the name which no doubt helped get the investment for Roofe and Hagi, but also didn’t help when we should’ve sold the likes of Morelos when their value was at its peak. 

3 hours ago, Kylegib said:

Obviously no fan wants the board to put the club at risk but again you along with many others want to believe that Gerrard refused to sell players which is blatantly obvious a load of rubbish. In our financial position why would the board allow any manager to dictate that we couldn't bring in much needed finance. If the board did allow that they are showing themselves to be exceptionally weak.

Because Gerrard basically ran the club when he was here. It’s been reported by enough people who have access to the club that his influence over everything was huge. I’m pretty sure it was reported at the time too that Gerrard fought to keep the squad together too.

34 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Because Gerrard basically ran the club when he was here. It’s been reported by enough people who have access to the club that his influence over everything was huge. I’m pretty sure it was reported at the time too that Gerrard fought to keep the squad together too.

There is no way our board were scared to sell a player worrying about a rookie manager especially if there was profit to be made.

34 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

There is no way our board were scared to sell a player worrying about a rookie manager especially if there was profit to be made.

Maybe not scared, but during his tenure Gerrard was the most influential person at Ibrox. He wanted to keep the squad together and the board granted that request.

4 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We were regressing in Europe, the last group stage with Lyon, Sparta and Brondby we should have got out of comfortably but needed a win at home on matchday 5 with a fortunate Alfie goal to seal the win.

SG overachieved in Europe but the warnings were there to see.

7 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Maybe not scared, but during his tenure Gerrard was the most influential person at Ibrox. He wanted to keep the squad together and the board granted that request.

Most influential at the club is quite possibly true however I'd say he was showing leadership and a will to win unfortunately that is sadly lacking in our club from top to bottom now. As I have said we were in front by quite a distance and the board failed to back him costing us a huge chance of a period of success. 

6 hours ago, ayro said:

We were regressing in Europe, the last group stage with Lyon, Sparta and Brondby we should have got out of comfortably but needed a win at home on matchday 5 with a fortunate Alfie goal to seal the win.

SG overachieved in Europe but the warnings were there to see.

I agree we were not doing as well as we should've been doing in that EL group but surely that shows how much he had raised our expectations in Europe considering we were eliminated by Progres Neiderkorn prior to his arrival. I would also suggest we had stood still as he hadn't been backed.

Regarding over achieving in Europe I agree and I believe that balanced our books on the front loading.

1 hour ago, Kylegib said:

I agree we were not doing as well as we should've been doing in that EL group but surely that shows how much he had raised our expectations in Europe considering we were eliminated by Progres Neiderkorn prior to his arrival. I would also suggest we had stood still as he hadn't been backed.

Regarding over achieving in Europe I agree and I believe that balanced our books on the front loading.

He had raised expectations, his record in Europe was great, not only the results but the performances.

However part of that was due to the EL being a lower level than CL, which the one crack he and the players had they shat it and his team selections and substitutions were poor.

We would stood still as he and the players thought winning 55 was the pinnacle when it wasn’t, it was very important but it was back to business and that meant cups, CL, leagues etc.

As a former player of a good team he should have recognised the importance of player trading and refreshing the squad but I think he was done after the CL disaster as his stock was at its highest and he wanted out, similar to Rodgers.

For that I don’t have an issue, it’s the way he left and also the malaise that he allowed the players to be in with us being 4 clear of the filth including a win against them that I will always be disappointed in SG.

W should have been almost out of sight, he should have taken the semi final and Sparta game, then left.

13 minutes ago, ayro said:

He had raised expectations, his record in Europe was great, not only the results but the performances.

However part of that was due to the EL being a lower level than CL, which the one crack he and the players had they shat it and his team selections and substitutions were poor.

We would stood still as he and the players thought winning 55 was the pinnacle when it wasn’t, it was very important but it was back to business and that meant cups, CL, leagues etc.

As a former player of a good team he should have recognised the importance of player trading and refreshing the squad but I think he was done after the CL disaster as his stock was at its highest and he wanted out, similar to Rodgers.

For that I don’t have an issue, it’s the way he left and also the malaise that he allowed the players to be in with us being 4 clear of the filth including a win against them that I will always be disappointed in SG.

W should have been almost out of sight, he should have taken the semi final and Sparta game, then left.

The level of side who never beat us in the EL, who then went on to do well in the champions league was high.

porto

benfica

villareal

Gerrard made us something again in Europe, and tbh you could see the strides the team were making giant strides. Gerrard done well for us, he should’ve had more trophies that’s a given, but he was on the way out the season the league got stopped, but he and the team had a meeting as they knew they were close to winning the title but for whatever reason would collapse after Xmas, the 55 season they had huge determination to see every game through.

gerrard was brilliant for us but his lover on here makes it hard for me not to dislike him coupled with how he left for villa when everyone knew how that would end 

45 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

The level of side who never beat us in the EL, who then went on to do well in the champions league was high.

porto

benfica

villareal

Gerrard made us something again in Europe, and tbh you could see the strides the team were making giant strides. Gerrard done well for us, he should’ve had more trophies that’s a given, but he was on the way out the season the league got stopped, but he and the team had a meeting as they knew they were close to winning the title but for whatever reason would collapse after Xmas, the 55 season they had huge determination to see every game through.

gerrard was brilliant for us but his lover on here makes it hard for me not to dislike him coupled with how he left for villa when everyone knew how that would end 

SG was what we needed as we were full of doubt and self pity and he’s an arrogant guy full of belief on the back of being the player he was.

He overachieved in Europe, underachieved in domestic cups and probably broke even in the league without meaning to downplay what was a very important title win because he was probably done the season before if we got beat by the filth before Covid.

He left a bit too early for me at the time but I am quite sure he would have left the end of that year win, lose or draw as that would have been 4 years with over 200 games which can lead to things going stale at a club like ours, it’s how and when he left is the biggest issue for most imo.

Why are people still obsessed about a manager who did well and improved us, achieved his goal(as everyone at club seemed to agree) however left us in a fucking shocking way mid season and hasn't said much positive stuff about us since. He's literally said nothing about his ex coach beale. Said he should have played for "one of the old firm". Despite what everyone said he didn't get it here. Thanks for improving us but he certainly wasn't without fault.