Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It will be unless he gets a good looking translator in.

No need for a translator. Just treat them Graham fan boys with the contempt they deserve. Go learn some Spanish you fucks. "Wit's the Spanish fir taking newspaper photos?".  Then again hopefully Graham gets sacked then that stupid £25k shit goes.

Actually applaud Bielsa treating the media like shit despite being able to speak good enough english.

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

If we lose all of those players & I can see an arguement that all will go then you can pretty much forget about the title next season

Aye we'll get decent cash for them, maybe 30/40 million if we're lucky but we'll have nothing left in the squad.

For all the talk that the tarriers had a rebuild & they did, they still had players like Ralston, Taylor, McGregor, Rogic, Biton etc who had all been there for years & they still had their entire backroom staff.

We'll have a much much bigger rebuild & have less money to do it. 

We'd still have McLaughlin, Tav, Bassey, Helander and/or Balogun, Jack, Lundstram, Hagi and I'd argue Kamara and Roofe

Morelos, Kent, Aribo if they don't extend must be sold and I'd also move on Barisic

McGregor, Goldson, Davis, Arfield and Katic plus the above 4 and Ramsey frees up a huge amount of wages to work with

We've shown in the past you don't need to spend fortunes to get good players (McGregor, McLaughlin, Tav, Balogun, Bassey, Jack, Lundstram, Arfield, Aribo, Davis, Sakala and Morelos cost us under £2m)

We should have started the process last season (starting with Goldson when he refused to extend) but SG convinced the board to keep everyone before bailing out himself.

Some players have never been the same since.

Some players play out of their skin in the European shop window and coast in the SPFL

We need a freshen up badly

46 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Not got an issue with a manager dropping points, it's the amount dropped and the way we've dropped them under Gio that's been the biggest concern.

Our win rate since January is horrendous, enough to get any Rangers manager the sack & our performances have been boring at best. 

As for the team itself, nobody, including me, is giving Gerrard a free ride. It's clear this squad is coming to its end however even when playing shite Gerrard had us 4 points clear & in the cup semi, whether that was down to the taigs being worse than us is another thing altogether but he still beat them with a covid squad & I think we would've comfortably won this title

Comfortably won the title, you are just trolling now

Gerrard dropped 9 points in 11 games, had he kept that record up that everyone is so bigging up, he'd have dropped 27 points by next sunday

Tarriers in that same time have dropped 15 points

Even if you want to give us an OF win and a loss (we were due to lose one eventually) thats still only 24pts dropped to their 18

1 minute ago, the cry was no said:

We'd still have McLaughlin, Tav, Bassey, Helander and/or Balogun, Jack, Lundstram, Hagi and I'd argue Kamara and Roofe

Morelos, Kent, Aribo if they don't extend must be sold and I'd also move on Barisic

McGregor, Goldson, Davis, Arfield and Katic plus the above 4 and Ramsey frees up a huge amount of wages to work with

We've shown in the past you don't need to spend fortunes to get good players (McGregor, McLaughlin, Tav, Balogun, Bassey, Jack, Lundstram, Arfield, Aribo, Davis, Sakala and Morelos cost us under £2m)

We should have started the process last season (starting with Goldson when he refused to extend) but SG convinced the board to keep everyone before bailing out himself.

Some players have never been the same since.

Some players play out of their skin in the European shop window and coast in the SPFL

We need a freshen up badly

100% we need freshened up badly & I think we will be, either players not signing contracts as you said or just being surplus to requirements

What they done though, the size of the rebuild, is something that 9/10 times won't work first season, the fact they've won the league during it will give us unrealistic expectations next season

Unless we get a new manager who hits the ground running & who has a list of achievable players that we can get, its going to be very tough from this position.

16 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Comfortably won the title, you are just trolling now

Gerrard dropped 9 points in 11 games, had he kept that record up that everyone is so bigging up, he'd have dropped 27 points by next sunday

Tarriers in that same time have dropped 15 points

Even if you want to give us an OF win and a loss (we were due to lose one eventually) thats still only 24pts dropped to their 18

From the position we were in at the winter break, I don't think Gerrard and co would have let it slip, I'd even argue I think we would've beat Hibs at Hampden to get to the final aswell as that was as poor a Hibs team as you'll ever see. 

It took Gerrard time & aye we had post winter collapses under him but he & his team eventually worked it out, he had the beating of celtic + done enough VS the rest in the league to stay ahead. 

Gio has done neither & we don't have another 2/3 years to give him to work things out + we don't have the money for him to bring in all his own players...only to be sacked midway through next season! 

Doesn't matter who the manager was, if they lost the title this season to an unknown Aussie & a squad of players, most of whom had never played in the country then they deserve to be sacked, simple as that.

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

From the position we were in at the winter break, I don't think Gerrard and co would have let it slip, I'd even argue I think we would've beat Hibs at Hampden to get to the final aswell as that was as poor a Hibs team as you'll ever see. 

It took Gerrard time & aye we had post winter collapses under him but he & his team eventually worked it out, he had the beating of celtic + done enough VS the rest in the league to stay ahead. 

Gio has done neither & we don't have another 2/3 years to give him to work things + we don't have the money for him to bring in all his own players...only to be sacked midway through next season! 

Doesn't matter who the manager was, if they lost the title this season to an unknown Aussie & a squad of players, most of whom had never played in the country then they deserve to be sacked, simple as that.

Wait 2 or 3 seasons with him they will overtake our trophy count and we will have to face the most successful team in Scotland banners and all.

The board,players and manager have fucked us over big time this season.

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Wait 2 or 3 seasons with him they will overtake our trophy count and we will have to face the most successful team in Scotland banners and all.

Actually seen that posted earlier aye, as it stands I don't see how we can stop them tbh, it's going to happen

This season was just massive in the scale of our finances & being able to compete going forward, the only way we win next season is a complete collapse by them + us getting every single appointment & nearly every transfer spot on

19 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Gio has done neither & we don't have another 2/3 years to give him to work things out + we don't have the money for him to bring in all his own players...only to be sacked midway through next season! 

You do realise the position we were in at the winter break was down to a run from GVB which Gerrard was nowhere near getting this season?

15 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Did you back Gerrard in season 2?

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

You do realise the position we were in at the winter break was down to a run from GVB which Gerrard was nowhere near getting this season?

Well we were 4 clear before Gio came in & 6 clear at the winter break I'm sure?

Gio gave us an initial bounce aftwr the Semi final and we went on a good run, he got rightly praised for it. We largely played the same way as he didn't have time to change much.

Then we disappeared for 3 weeks, Gio had time to get the players into  his way of playing & we came back to this horrific run of form, beat twice off the taigs & has now lost us the league

Gerrard can be blamed for the Champions League qualifiers, the summer spending, the inability to notice where we needed fresh blood etc.

Losing the league to them is on Gio.

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Did you back Gerrard in season 2?

Most people did until the arse fell out of it and covid shut the league down. Prior to that the majority wanted him gone.

Nobody denies that and I don’t know why people keep bringing it up as if they are.

30 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

You are fucking trolling now, or fucking deluded

You think a gerrard led team, who had dropped 9pts in 11 games where their hardest away fixture was tannadice, was going to match the tarriers run in the next 21 games while having to go to edinburgh twice, sheep, livi, tarriers and tannadice again

Fucking hell 🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Gio gave us an initial bounce aftwr the Semi final and we went on a good run, he got rightly praised for it. We largely played the same way as he didn't have time to change much.

Then we disappeared for 3 weeks, Gio had time to get the players into  his way of playing & we came back to this horrific run of form, beat twice off the taigs & has now lost us the league

Gerrard can be blamed for the Champions League qualifiers, the summer spending, the inability to notice where we needed fresh blood etc.

Both managers were as culpable as one another for not winning games we should have. The winter break being brought fwd really didn't help us as I thought we had momentum and could have beaten both the sheep and them. As it turned out we then drew with the sheep and they beat us 3 nil after the rearranged winter break. 

It's still no excuse though for drawing with Ross County and Motherwell, and think it was Hearts also after Christmas. 

4 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Most people did until the arse fell out of it and covid shut the league down. Prior to that the majority wanted him gone.

Nobody denies that and I don’t know why people keep bringing it up as if they are.

The majority wanted him gone, and were proved wrong as he won the league the following season, yet here they are jumping the gun again

1 minute ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Both managers were as culpable as one another for not winning games we should have. The winter break being brought fwd really didn't help us as I thought we had momentum and could have beaten both the sheep and them. As it turned out we then drew with the sheep and they beat us 3 nil after the rearranged winter break. 

It's still no excuse though for drawing with Ross County and Motherwell, and think it was Hearts also after Christmas. 

Nope we scudded hearts, we also did what gerrard couldnt earlier in the season by beating the sheep at home and not losing to united away

But hey they were champions last season so they early season results are excused apparently while later season results just as bad are vilified 

12 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Gerrard. He can't get the best out players. Doesn't know what he's doing. No chance of catching scum. Tactics shite. Subs shite. Relies on favourites.  Not our quality. Imposter. Sound famililar?

I'm pretty sure prior to we went on our season winning run that any and all of the above were justifications for the many on here wanting him sacked. He was given time and support and against the odds won the league. Most fans ultimately wrongly made their minds up too soon.

Whether GVB has it in his locker to do the same is debatable. But we wouldn't have found out with Gerrard unless he was was given the time / backing most didn't want him to get.

Whoever is here in July needs time and their signings in too. I'm not overly bothered if it's Gio though think it best if it is as he hasn't had the full opportunity yet.  But if its not him then like with Gerrard the new guy deserves a proper opportunity before the sacking demands come again.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

TBH it's less about Gerrard v GvB and more about do we have confidence in GvB being the right man to take us forward. 

If Gerrard was still here and we were in an identical position to where we are today the same questions would be getting asked of him.

Yup they questions were asked and he answered them with a title the following year, 

Surely gio deserves a breather since we got it wrong with gerrard no? 

17 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

We weren’t improving under Gerrard, we did under GVB. Gerrard bailed as Celtic’s form picked up. If he stayed the league would’ve been done a lot earlier.

The players, Gerrard, board and GVB are all to blame.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Gerrard. He can't get the best out players. Doesn't know what he's doing. No chance of catching scum. Tactics shite. Subs shite. Relies on favourites.  Not our quality. Imposter. Sound famililar?

I'm pretty sure prior to we went on our season winning run that any and all of the above were justifications for the many on here wanting him sacked. He was given time and support and against the odds won the league. Most fans ultimately wrongly made their minds up too soon.

Whether GVB has it in his locker to do the same is debatable. But we wouldn't have found out with Gerrard unless he was was given the time / backing most didn't want him to get.

Whoever is here in July needs time and their signings in too. I'm not overly bothered if it's Gio though think it best if it is as he hasn't had the full opportunity yet.  But if its not him then like with Gerrard the new guy deserves a proper opportunity before the sacking demands come again.

Like esk said yesterday

"Anybody that knows him or has worked with him will tell you he’s utterly useless at identifying players."

That's the worrying thing albeit the club will no doubt make the call on the players but with this seasons recruitment I wouldn't be getting any hopes up.

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Yup they questions were asked and he answered them with a title the following year, 

Surely gio deserves a breather since we got it wrong with gerrard no? 

It's a tough one tbh. I was front and centre cheerleading when GvB was appointed but I feel that the evidence has mounted that there are way too many red flags regarding things like his team selections, his tactics, his in-game management and his ability to motivate. 

I'd have been absolutely delighted if he'd succeeded as he was one of my favourite players back in th day but now I don't trust him to spend whatever money we scrape together in the summer.