Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

7 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Definitely bigger problems than Gio at the club right now, but unfortunately it will be him that carries the can. 

If gio goes Wilson should absolutely follow. His recruitment record is a shambles. The only good bits of business he's done really is player sales. 

In these situations but it's the manager that is most disposable.

What worries me is I think these players have chucked it under gio. Being outrun 6km by ajax is a disgraceful stat. That screams of players that aren't giving it their all anymore. 

Once a manager has lost the squad I've never known any manager to be able to turn that round. 

Said it before but I shall say it again. The squad just don't agree with Gio's tactics. They will. of course, do as they are told but their heart isn't in it.

The squad want to go for opponents throats for 90 mins and win the game. Gio's cautious approach just does not work. He either changes his approach or he has to go. Simple as that.

9 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Why is he handing out new contracts to them left, right and centre then? 

We’ve given out five new deals since the end of last season, and until a fortnight ago, we were trying to renew two more as well.

I get that it’s not purely his decision because he works under a DOF (who absolutely needs to go befor eGio does BTW) but ultimately he’s played a part in sanctioning new deals for a pretty big number of these serial losers.

Because the previous regime left the squad in such a state that the new deals were needed, had mcgregor and arfield not signed a new deal then we dont even fill our euro squad quota, 

Fact is gio has tried to sort out the team, since the summer the players who have contributed most this season have been 3 of gios signings, absolutely not one of gerrards team have covered themselves in glory so far

13 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Said it before but I shall say it again. The squad just don't agree with Gio's tactics. They will. of course, do as they are told but their heart isn't in it.

The squad want to go for opponents throats for 90 mins and win the game. Gio's cautious approach just does not work. He either changes his approach or he has to go. Simple as that.

The squad have never went for opponents throats for 90mins, ffs gerrard played 3 sitting mids at home

11 hours ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

When did I compare with Gerrard? It's the here and the now that matters. 

You mentioned better tactics when you replied to me about the spineless shitebags in the team

So I asked how did the manager who brought most of them to the club get on, 

12 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Because the previous regime left the squad in such a state that the new deals were needed, had mcgregor and arfield not signed a new deal then we dont even fill our euro squad quota, 

Fact is gio has tried to sort out the team, since the summer the players who have contributed most this season have been 3 of gios signings, absolutely not one of gerrards team have covered themselves in glory so far

You cant cherry pick mate. If hes signed those 3 then he's signed 11 players this summer plus those last January and 3 have contributed well.

48 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You cant cherry pick mate. If hes signed those 3 then he's signed 11 players this summer plus those last January and 3 have contributed well.

I never said he didn't sign others, and for the other signings, well everyone may remember the hill i died on in jan when we were linked with souttar, hate to say i was right but it was fucking obvious how it was going to turn out

But if we look at his signings

Mcgregor, for euro quota

Davis, fuck knows, shit decision

Arfield, for euro quota, has been alright

Yilmaz, needs time to settle, 

Souttar, fucking knew it

Davies, fuck knows, injured, off field issues? 

Matondo, not happened yet.... 

Lawrence, flying till injury, massive loss

Colak, does what he's asked, decent return

Tillman, pivotal role in CL qualification, 

Goldson, I'll refrain from speaking..... 

Now wether the new contract guys were gios decisions or not we'll never know, maybe he wanted some stability while trying to change the team who knows,

But with regards to how they are playing, we need to remember that gerrards buys were all trained in one system and one system only, gerrard clearly lied when he said they practised other systems as they clearly didnt, gio has at least tried to implement other systems, it hasn't worked fully yet but i have no doubt that part of that is down to the shitebag mentality of guys like goldson, tav, kamara, and even kent, big players who crumble under pressure, 

And once again it has shown this season, away to Union, expected to win, absolute shit show, at home 2 down less pressure as people thought we were probably out, 

PSV home, pressure again, honking defensively again, shit the bed again, away from home no one gave us a chance, so no pressure 

Hibs away, big pressure, need to win, fucked over by the ref but goldson for the equaliser should have been dropped for it

Piggery game, massive pressure not to lose, well we all know how that turned out

Ajax away, not expected to win but the pressure was on to show they could come back from tarrier game, once again we shit the bed

Its absolutely no surprise that the only successful thing gerrard accomplished when up here is when expectations were low, even then in the title season he was massively helped by the biggest implosion seen in the tarriers in my lifetime

This squad is still bulked up with shitebags who cannot handle when expectations of them are high

58 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I never said he didn't sign others, and for the other signings, well everyone may remember the hill i died on in jan when we were linked with souttar, hate to say i was right but it was fucking obvious how it was going to turn out

But if we look at his signings

Mcgregor, for euro quota

Davis, fuck knows, shit decision

Arfield, for euro quota, has been alright

Yilmaz, needs time to settle, 

Souttar, fucking knew it

Davies, fuck knows, injured, off field issues? 

Matondo, not happened yet.... 

Lawrence, flying till injury, massive loss

Colak, does what he's asked, decent return

Tillman, pivotal role in CL qualification, 

Goldson, I'll refrain from speaking..... 

Now wether the new contract guys were gios decisions or not we'll never know, maybe he wanted some stability while trying to change the team who knows,

But with regards to how they are playing, we need to remember that gerrards buys were all trained in one system and one system only, gerrard clearly lied when he said they practised other systems as they clearly didnt, gio has at least tried to implement other systems, it hasn't worked fully yet but i have no doubt that part of that is down to the shitebag mentality of guys like goldson, tav, kamara, and even kent, big players who crumble under pressure, 

And once again it has shown this season, away to Union, expected to win, absolute shit show, at home 2 down less pressure as people thought we were probably out, 

PSV home, pressure again, honking defensively again, shit the bed again, away from home no one gave us a chance, so no pressure 

Hibs away, big pressure, need to win, fucked over by the ref but goldson for the equaliser should have been dropped for it

Piggery game, massive pressure not to lose, well we all know how that turned out

Ajax away, not expected to win but the pressure was on to show they could come back from tarrier game, once again we shit the bed

Its absolutely no surprise that the only successful thing gerrard accomplished when up here is when expectations were low, even then in the title season he was massively helped by the biggest implosion seen in the tarriers in my lifetime

This squad is still bulked up with shitebags who cannot handle when expectations of them are high

Mate that's a big reply.  Ultimately you're agreeing 3 of 11 have had an impact. If 3 are Gios, then so are the other 8, whatever the reasons.

And if he is responsible then he  must also accept some culpability for not clearing the decks of the shitebags as you refer to them. Including the one he re-signed.

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You mentioned better tactics when you replied to me about the spineless shitebags in the team

So I asked how did the manager who brought most of them to the club get on, 

You know how well as I do how he got on. Whilst not brilliant, won us 55. His football could be stale at times but I don't see any major transformation under Gio, more regression. 

Whether that's down to the players or the managers boring tactics/style of play, or both, is open to debate mate. 

1 hour ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

You know how well as I do how he got on. Whilst not brilliant, won us 55. His football could be stale at times but I don't see any major transformation under Gio, more regression. 

Whether that's down to the players or the managers boring tactics/style of play, or both, is open to debate mate. 

A good manager adopts a system or tweaks a system to suit the players he has, witness last season v this season at Man City with the introduction of an out and out top class centre forward that they were lacking before. 

GvB doesn't seem to be able to do that, even when a player or players are quite obviously not capable of doing whatever it is intends (and what he intends is far from clear). The suicidal zonal marking, side to side negative football, the endless crosses into the box when Colak is on his own surrounded by 4 defenders. Whatever he intends by all of this ain't working. 

2 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Mate that's a big reply.  Ultimately you're agreeing 3 of 11 have had an impact. If 3 are Gios, then so are the other 8, whatever the reasons.

And if he is responsible then he  must also accept some culpability for not clearing the decks of the shitebags as you refer to them. Including the one he re-signed.

Pretty hard to clear the deck of them all when no one wants them though, we were europa finalists and this summer we had 2 players sought after, hell no one even wantes goldson, 

As i said, about the 4 he resigned, 2 were likely lower wages and helped with euro quota, the other two obviously there were reasons, best i can think is that maybe the idea of a deck clearing was in place so 2 players like davis and goldson remaining to provide some form of stability was the idea, 

But fuck knows, what is evident is that once again when the chips are down and we need men to step up, its the same ones who go hiding, 

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

A good manager adopts a system or tweaks a system to suit the players he has, witness last season v this season at Man City with the introduction of an out and out top class centre forward that they were lacking before. 

GvB doesn't seem to be able to do that, even when a player or players are quite obviously not capable of doing whatever it is intends (and what he intends is far from clear). The suicidal zonal marking, side to side negative football, the endless crosses into the box when Colak is on his own surrounded by 4 defenders. Whatever he intends by all of this ain't working. 

The endles crosses into one lonely striker isnt a new thing, hark back to malmo at home when we collapsed, or any other game pre gio when we passed sideways a million times to then ask tav or borna to cross a ball into a box where there was two defenders to every one of our players

These players have had one way drilled into them for 3 years, they clearly cannot change, no manager will see a massive difference until these players are gone, unfortunately we signed 2 of them on longer contracts this summer

2 hours ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

It is open to debate, one thing imo that isbt open to debate is how much the bulk of this squad are fucking spineless, 

They are now showing under two different managers, with different styles, tactics etc, that when the pressure is on, they absolutely crumble 

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Nail on head :thumbup:

15 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The endles crosses into one lonely striker isnt a new thing, hark back to malmo at home when we collapsed, or any other game pre gio when we passed sideways a million times to then ask tav or borna to cross a ball into a box where there was two defenders to every one of our players

These players have had one way drilled into them for 3 years, they clearly cannot change, no manager will see a massive difference until these players are gone, unfortunately we signed 2 of them on longer contracts this summer

Surely players can adapt/adjust to a new style? Problem is the style isn't very exciting and is lacklustre to put it mildly. 

I don't see Gio changing his mindset, so whilst we will get the odd good/high scoring result domestically, we will drop many more points, which is unacceptable. 

Just now, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Surely players can adapt to adjust to a new style? Problem is the style isn't very exciting and is lacklustre to put it mildly. 

I don't see Gio changing his mindset, so whilst we will get the odd good/high scoring result domestically, we will drop many more points, which is unacceptable. 

I think, and this is a dig at gio, that he's stuck between two choices, he tries to work the long serving players out of the beale/gerrard way, completely detrain them out of 3 years of it being drilled into them, or he uses the same tactics but slightly tweaks them every so often to gradually change it (along with introducing new players to help the transition) 

Unfortunately both ways are shit, gerrards reign was honking before he left (title season aside, even in that season we had some utterly god awful games), for all the good gerrard did with that team in changing our euro fortunes, lets not forget his woeful record domestically to teams like sheep, hearts, hibs, killie

The common denominator here is the players, how often have we fought for a result, not got it through talent but through sheer grit and determination and simply went toe to toe with an opponent and out fought them, 

Kamara is a prime example, an absolute gem of a player when its a team who want to play football, but the minute a team harries us, presses us, leaves a mark on us he looks like a dugs dinner, same for tav, kent, goldson, and a few others 

22 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Lawrence is a noticeable miss. He was regularly getting himself into the box and on the end of crosses, as well as Tillman. The sooner Lawrence is back, the better and play Tillman in his most effective position.

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I think, and this is a dig at gio, that he's stuck between two choices, he tries to work the long serving players out of the beale/gerrard way, completely detrain them out of 3 years of it being drilled into them, or he uses the same tactics but slightly tweaks them every so often to gradually change it (along with introducing new players to help the transition) 

Unfortunately both ways are shit, gerrards reign was honking before he left (title season aside, even in that season we had some utterly god awful games), for all the good gerrard did with that team in changing our euro fortunes, lets not forget his woeful record domestically to teams like sheep, hearts, hibs, killie

The common denominator here is the players, how often have we fought for a result, not got it through talent but through sheer grit and determination and simply went toe to toe with an opponent and out fought them, 

Kamara is a prime example, an absolute gem of a player when its a team who want to play football, but the minute a team harries us, presses us, leaves a mark on us he looks like a dugs dinner, same for tav, kent, goldson, and a few others 

I agree with you, our style of play is and was, even under Gerrard, very predictable. Opposition teams have sussed it. So if a manager can't adapt then he should be gone, because we ain't getting anywhere playing this turgid, no press, no movement, zonal marking shite. 

All the best teams in the world now, as soon as they lose the ball, harry to get it back. They scummy cunts do it, so like I've said previously, if our team don't have the players/stamina to do it then we're in bigger trouble than we think. 

4 minutes ago, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

I agree with you, our style of play is and was, even under Gerrard, very predictable. Opposition teams have sussed it. So if a manager can't adapt then he should be gone, because we ain't getting anywhere playing this turgid, no press, no movement, zonal marking shite. 

All the best teams in the world now, as soon as they lose the ball, harry to get it back. They scummy cunts do it, so like I've said previously, if our team don't have the players/stamina to do it then we're in bigger trouble than we think. 

Thing is, i doubt any manager will get a different tune out of these players "bar the newer guys" until we clear the likes of kamara, tav, goldson, barisic, kent and even morelos, were gonna be stuck busking with the same tune,