Has Gio lost the dressing room ?

MillwallLoyal

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He’s not really. He was bang average for a large part before GVB came in. He played plenty big games that he was shite in too.

Fair enough. Maybe my memory is off but I felt like we got more out of him in bigger games under Gerrard/Beale, but he's been shite plenty of times anyway.

Alright all, first poster here - so apologies if I miss any of the nuances to posting… please have patience!

I can’t believe what I watched on Saturday, but as the tims showed against St Mirren a few weeks ago, we can all go through patches of bad form - but it’s just been frustrating for me watching players who clearly can’t be arsed! I don’t know what Gio is supposed to do. He’s hampered by a lot of dead wood signed by the previous managers - but last seasons European run showed that we can play the best counterattacking football in Scotland, good enough to get us to a European final.

im hoping that it’s just a bad run or form. He’s got real football pedigree and I think he’s absolutely capable of turning it round.  

Just now, MillarNotMiller said:

Alright all, first poster here - so apologies if I miss any of the nuances to posting… please have patience!

I can’t believe what I watched on Saturday, but as the tims showed against St Mirren a few weeks ago, we can all go through patches of bad form - but it’s just been frustrating for me watching players who clearly can’t be arsed! I don’t know what Gio is supposed to do. He’s hampered by a lot of dead wood signed by the previous managers - but last seasons European run showed that we can play the best counterattacking football in Scotland, good enough to get us to a European final.

im hoping that it’s just a bad run or form. He’s got real football pedigree and I think he’s absolutely capable of turning it round.  

Not sure this will end well for you

4 minutes ago, MillarNotMiller said:

We didn't get to the final playing counter attacking football. 

2 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

What I mean is, Gio was behind it. I get the argument for sacking the manager before the season gets away from us - but I’m just not sure it is getting away from us. They are still more than capable of dropping points & unless we know the replacement will be able to hit the ground running & get backed in January, I’m just not sure.

2 minutes ago, MillarNotMiller said:
7 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

What I mean is, Gio was behind it. I get the argument for sacking the manager before the season gets away from us - but I’m just not sure it is getting away from us. They are still more than capable of dropping points & unless we know the replacement will be able to hit the ground running & get backed in January, I’m just not sure.

Impressive that you've managed to make an account on here with your head buried so far in the sand.

1 minute ago, The Specky Liar said:

Impressive that you've managed to make an account on here with your head buried so far in the sand.

Sorry if I add a wee bit of positivity! It’s only October. 

but I fully respect your right to dig this up and slap me across the chops with it if things go (more) tits up.

1 minute ago, MillarNotMiller said:

Sorry if I add a wee bit of positivity! It’s only October. 

but I fully respect your right to dig this up and slap me across the chops with it if things go (more) tits up.

Unfortunately the decision makers at the club share your view and won't act until the season is over instead of making the change that 99% know is needed.

33 minutes ago, MillarNotMiller said:

:britney:

14 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

There is 

celtic under Rodgers suffered countless drubbings in the champions league and it had little to no effect on their domestic form

Even some of our successful squads over the years suffered embarrassments in Europe. 2009-10 we got beat 4-1 twice at Ibrox . One of them being from Unirea. What the sqaud lacked in Europe they could at least get their attitude and form back in place for domestic games . 

Right now and for a while we have had a sqaud who are either buzzing on confidence and thrive when all is going good . For example 55 season and end of last season . Too often though so many of them have buckled time and time again the first sign of things getting a bit sticky. The mentality has always been an issue . 55 lead a lot of us to believe a hurdle had been crossed but unfortunately the reality is the same frailties are still there 

Consistency was always one of the words that Walter stressed, at least in the domestic football, but as you say this present team has always struggled to find it.

I always felt the only time we were fully switched on at the top table in the champions league was in 92-93 when Marseille needed to bung the referee to beat us 

14 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

There is 

celtic under Rodgers suffered countless drubbings in the champions league and it had little to no effect on their domestic form

Even some of our successful squads over the years suffered embarrassments in Europe. 2009-10 we got beat 4-1 twice at Ibrox . One of them being from Unirea. What the sqaud lacked in Europe they could at least get their attitude and form back in place for domestic games . 

Right now and for a while we have had a sqaud who are either buzzing on confidence and thrive when all is going good . For example 55 season and end of last season . Too often though so many of them have buckled time and time again the first sign of things getting a bit sticky. The mentality has always been an issue . 55 lead a lot of us to believe a hurdle had been crossed but unfortunately the reality is the same frailties are still there 

I agree with the point of your post but just on rodgers second season when they were getting slapped about by PSG, Bayern and eventually Zenit I would say it effected their domestic form.

The only issue is we were stunningly complacent and fannying about with Pedro and Murty. celtic only scored 82 points (7 less than our tally last season) picking up 10 draws, 4 defeats and winning the league by 9 points and 12 ahead of us. Amazingly we only scored 3 less points than then against the rest but completely shat the bed against them.

Sorry, I know you were making a completely valid point but 17/18 still pisses me off:lol:

9 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

We can't spend serious money.

We are already on a Uefa watchlist for FFP for overspending.

Any money we spend will have to be balanced by sales.

This is why we need to bring in a coach who can work with what we have.

Is it not the case that the sales of Patterson, Aribo and Bassey along with prize money and gate receipts from our Europa league campaign, then qualification in the Champions league would allow the board to release funds in the next transfer window that don’t break UEFA guidelines?

Gio might have failed to win the league but he did win the Scottish cup and got the club to a European final punching well above our weight.

This is why I’ve not given up on him as bad as it is right now.

Just now, Real Ranger said:

Is it not the case that the sales of Patterson, Aribo and Bassey along with prize money and gate receipts from our Europa league campaign, then qualification in the Champions league would allow the board to release funds in the next transfer window that don’t break UEFA guidelines?

Gio might have failed to win the league but he did win the Scottish cup and got the club to a European final punching well above our weight.

This is why I’ve not given up on him as bad as it is right now.

Nope, we just dont have very much money and all the money that we have brought in is covering costs.

There is no magic money pit left.

4 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

I agree with the point of your post but just on rodgers second season when they were getting slapped about by PSG, Bayern and eventually Zenit I would say it effected their domestic form.

The only issue is we were stunningly complacent and fannying about with Pedro and Murty. celtic only scored 82 points (7 less than our tally last season) picking up 10 draws, 4 defeats and winning the league by 9 points and 12 ahead of us. Amazingly we only scored 3 less points than then against the rest but completely shat the bed against them.

Sorry, I know you were making a completely valid point but 17/18 still pisses me off:lol:

Its funny how perception is such a big thing, I never realised that was such a poor season from them. Obviously us being rancid maybe meant they took eye of the ball but 82 points is awful especially as you say they dominated us head to head.

Just now, The Specky Liar said:

Did you watch any of the games?

Genuine question

Yes I did, I also remember the likes of liepzig, RSB and dormund having over 60% possession in our games with them. Don't know about the other knock out games and the final was very even possession wise. Kinda says to me we never went all the way to the final playing possession based football. But I do think we look miles better when we are a counter team tho

1 minute ago, rabc10000 said:

Yes I did, I also remember the likes of liepzig, RSB and dormund having over 60% possession in our games with them. Don't know about the other knock out games and the final was very even possession wise. Kinda says to me we never went all the way to the final playing possession based football. But I do think we look miles better when we are a counter team tho

Nobody said we played posession based football.

8 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Its funny how perception is such a big thing, I never realised that was such a poor season from them. Obviously us being rancid maybe meant they took eye of the ball but 82 points is awful especially as you say they dominated us head to head.

They no doubt had a couple of levels to step up but at no point did they really should that outwith the two back to back tankings they gave to us. Even at that we were a fucking shambles at hampden and then parkhead