General Transfer Talk

Broxi

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Bayern ain't buying him back to flip him on.

There is every fucking chance that we could sell Tillman (if he is a success) for £20m even if Bayern have a buy back clause.

Why not? 

If Premier League clubs come sniffing around then they would be foolish not to. 

You say it would be “tinpot” of them to do it, but it would be tinpot of them not to if they can make say 10 million of pure profit by carrying out a couple of admin exercises.

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Good to see the club looking to continue supporting Davis despite his contract expiring.

No doubt the doom merchants who seemingly want to slate anything positive about the club will be along to soon to moan about how we aren’t a charity.

1 minute ago, Broxi said:

Might be right there mate, I've said that before myself that you don't usually see it happen very often, but definitely seen it once or twice. 

If it's selling for £15m they might not bother. If he suddenly becomes a Champions League superstar and valued at £30m then maybe that would raise their interest. But yeah, we might get away with it 

It doesn't make sense for Bayern though.

If someone triggers a buy back clause, the player has to accept it and sign a contract with Bayern, then sign a new contract with the buying club. This is expensive and adds risk for all parties.

Why is a club going to make some weird deal to pay Bayern £20m to buy Tillman through some weird chain scheme when they could just come to us and buy Tillman for £19.5m, avoid multiple transfer/contract complexities etc.

Bayern add the buy back clause on the chance that they want to bring the player back and play them.

That’s a fair chunk off the wage bill, should help fund two or maybe three new faces.

As for Tillman, if we sign him, I’d really like to see him tried up front with Cantwell just behind.

Raskin, Jack, Dowell, Cifuentes providing the platform and Lawrence offering width.

Still need another two strikers especially if Colak is out of favour.

56 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

He’s not a cm so he’s not going to become Ferguson and start getting on the ball dictating play and taking it by the scruff of the neck.

12 goals and 5 assists suggests he’s influenced plenty of games. 

He’s only 20. We wouldn’t be able to afford the finished product 24 year old Tillman.

Out of the best players in the league. When Jota was 20 he was playing in the second division of Portugal scoring less goals than Tillman. Kyogo was playing second division J league. CCV was unimpressive in the Championship and nobody wanted to sign him permanently.

That 5 million will likely end in a profit for the club

Jota and Kyogo score and win big games/finals. 12 goals and 5 assists against mostly bottom 6 just screams Aribo but more consistent. 

Not asking him to be a Ferguson type but you can dominate the game as an attacking type midfielder, just ask Cantwell. 

I think he’s a good player, but for £5m am just expecting a bit more. I’d be happy with another loan but can’t see that happening 

2 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Why not? 

If Premier League clubs come sniffing around then they would be foolish not to. 

You say it would be “tinpot” of them to do it, but it would be tinpot of them not to if they can make say 10 million of pure profit by carrying out a couple of admin exercises.

Why would the premier club not just take the simple option and offer us say the money they would pay Bayern?

It does not make financial sense as the money lost on legal, tax, signing on fees etc would mount up. Tillman would have to also agree, so presumably get a chunk of the deal.

The margin for a club like Bayern would be fucking tiny.

It would also have a reputational impact for them and make clubs far less willing to do these kinds of deals in the future.

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

It doesn't make sense for Bayern though.

If someone triggers a buy back clause, the player has to accept it and sign a contract with Bayern, then sign a new contract with the buying club. This is expensive and adds risk for all parties.

Why is a club going to make some weird deal to pay Bayern £20m to buy Tillman through some weird chain scheme when they could just come to us and buy Tillman for £19.5m, avoid multiple transfer/contract complexities etc.

Bayern add the buy back clause on the chance that they want to bring the player back and play them.

Because they couldn't just do the part in bold if Bayern trigger their clause. Bayern get first priority.

But in general I agree with what you're saying mate 

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Why would the premier club not just take the simple option and offer us say the money they would pay Bayern?

It does not make financial sense as the money lost on legal, tax, signing on fees etc would mount up. Tillman would have to also agree, so presumably get a chunk of the deal.

The margin for a club like Bayern would be fucking tiny.

It would also have a reputational impact for them and make clubs far less willing to do these kinds of deals in the future.

We would have no power to sell to anybody for any price if Bayern trigger their clause 

Tillman obviously didn’t show up against celtic this season but I’m starting to think he’s a good enough player to mature and eventually run celtic games. His ability isn’t in question for me and he will undoubtably win us scrappy games like Motherwell away with his play. I think we should sign him. 

Just now, Broxi said:

Because they couldn't just do the part in bold if Bayern trigger their clause. Bayern get first priority.

But in general I agree with what you're saying mate 

Yes they could.

Bayern having an option to buy him for £10m does not mean we can't accept another bid for whatever we want.

If they offer us £10m then we have to accept and they then have to negotiate with Tillman for a contract.

If the intention is for them to then instantly flip him to the EPL for £20m, why would Tillman accept?

Instead we could do a deal directly with the EPL team, this would reduce all of the costs, and both us and Tillman would make more money out of it.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Yes they could.

Bayern having an option to buy him for £10m does not mean we can't accept another bid for whatever we want.

If they offer us £10m then we have to accept and they then have to negotiate with Tillman for a contract.

If the intention is for them to then instantly flip him to the EPL for £20m, why would Tillman accept?

Instead we could do a deal directly with the EPL team, this would reduce all of the costs, and both us and Tillman would make more money out of it.

You have completely misunderstood what the buy back is mate

It's like a loan to buy. We agreed to loan Tillman and agreed a fee of £5m if we want him. Bayern can't just choose to reject that now.

We agreed a buy back of £10m (let's say for arguments sake, we don't know). We can't just reject that. It's set in stone and it trumps any other offers. 

It's likely that Tillman has the power to say no, but we don't. Bayern could just offer Tillman a bonus of going through them and make it happen. 

We would be powerless if Bayern want him 

4 minutes ago, Broxi said:

We would have no power to sell to anybody for any price if Bayern trigger their clause 

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

This. Bayern would have first dibs regardless.

Yes we do.

They can't just offer us £10m and he becomes a Bayern player again.

Offering £10m means we would have to accept the offer, then they would have to negotiate with Tillman who if hee had any sense would refuse this weird deal in favour of a direct move which would net him more money and be significantly simpler whilst remaining respected by the fanbase.

Yes we do.

They can't just offer us £10m and he becomes a Bayern player again.

Offering £10m means we would have to accept the offer, then they would have to negotiate with Tillman who if hee had any sense would refuse this weird deal in favour of a direct move which would net him more money and be significantly simpler whilst remaining respected by the fanbase.

What do you think the whole concept of a £10m buy back clause is if it's something that we get to choose to accept or not? It would be totally meaningless

You have completely misunderstood what the buy back is mate

It's like a loan to buy. We agreed to loan Tillman and agreed a fee of £5m if we want him. Bayern can't just choose to reject that now.

We agreed a buy back of £10m (let's say for arguments sake, we don't know). We can't just reject that. It's set in stone and it trumps any other offers. 

It's likely that Tillman has the power to say no, but we don't. Bayern could just offer Tillman a bonus of going through them and make it happen. 

We would be powerless if Bayern want him 

I'm not misunderstanding anything.

5 minutes ago, Broxi said:

What do you think the whole concept of a £10m buy back clause is if it's something that we get to choose to accept or not? It would be totally meaningless

Go back and read what I said again...

I specifically state if Bayern meet the buyback price, we have to accept.

I then go on to explain why this would make absolutely fuck all sense for Tillman and the club Bayern are looking to flip him to. So it would make no sense for Tillman to agree.

Go back and read what I said again...

I specifically state if Bayern meet the buyback price, we have to accept.

I then go on to explain why this would make absolutely fuck all sense for Tillman and the club Bayern are looking to flip him to. So it would make nonsense for Tillman to agree.

You said more than once that we had to accept the £10m offer from Bayern and we could just sell to someone else if we wanted to

Nevermind mate @mitre_mouldmaster

I read (I'm sure everyone else did too) you saying "we have to accept" the offer as if we had a choice to. I think I see that's not what you meant

It's not so much 'accepting' the offer as it is just being there and triggering it. There isn't a process of "accepting" it. I think that's where it has been misread.

However, we still can't just sell to someone else instead if Bayern want to take him back. And as I said, they could just offer Tillman a bonus to go through them. 

Long and short of it, is if Bayern WANT to, they will. I don't disagree that they might not want to

You said more than once that we had to accept the £10m offer from Bayern and we could just sell to someone else if we wanted to

Yes, I stand by that.

Let's play out the scenario...

Tillman has an amazing season. His stock rises massively. EPL clubs are lining up to sign him for around £25m.

Bayern decide they want to buy him back and instantly sell him for £25m to Brighton.

They offer us £10m. We accept and they get to negotiate a contract with Tillman.

We call Brighton and tell them to just offer us £24m.

Why would Tillman possibly agree to the contract with Bayern which is going to cost extra expenses in legal fees etc, rather than just telling them to bolt, and sign for Brighton directly from us and get them to add an extra £1m to his signing on bonus.

Costs Brighton the same amount, Tillman gets more money, our fans like him more and he leaves a hero.

Why would he possibly sign the contract with Bayern. Add complication, earn less money and ruin his legacy with our fans.

It would make no sense.