Viaplay pulling out of Scottish Football

Dan Deacon

58 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

For you maybe. But for me and many other fans, it would be the best 

I would argue for most it's not.

The majority of Rangers fans watch multiple sports and leagues so would have Sky Sports and TNT regardless. Having our games on those channels is always going to be the best solution as there's no extra cost for most.

If we had to pay hundreds per year just for Rangers games, it would be an increase of cost for most people.

2 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I would argue for most it's not.

The majority of Rangers fans watch multiple sports and leagues so would have Sky Sports and TNT regardless. Having our games on those channels is always going to be the best solution as there's no extra cost for most.

If we had to pay hundreds per year just for Rangers games, it would be an increase of cost for most people.

How do you know the majority of Rangers fans have sky and TNT? If that is the case then I’m sure a high number of people who pay for season tickets will also have sky sports and TNT… This doesn’t stop them paying hundreds of pounds to attend Ibrox… so what’s the difference? 

14 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

How do you know the majority of Rangers fans have sky and TNT? If that is the case then I’m sure a high number of people who pay for season tickets will also have sky sports and TNT… This doesn’t stop them paying hundreds of pounds to attend Ibrox… so what’s the difference? 

Going to an event in person is entirely different than watching on TV.

That's like saying why go to a concert when you can watch them on youtube.

1 hour ago, OhW said:

If we and the other mob sold the rights to our games separately would that kill every other club in Scotland? 

Would never happen but there's next to no interest in scottish football from TV companies outside the old firm. Was barely survivable in la liga when that happened.

16 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Would never happen but there's next to no interest in scottish football from TV companies outside the old firm. Was barely survivable in la liga when that happened.

Yeah that’s what I mean. The people who say we should sell our games through RTV don’t seem to realise this. 

7 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Again, disastrous. Advertisers and sponsorships would take a massive nosedive. 

Advertisers and Sponsorships will depend on viewership. How many celtic and Rangers fans won't subscribe? You'd likely see increased viewers rather than a decrease. Then any worldwide subscribers involved too.

250,000 subscribers for £120 a season would cover the £30m although production costs involved too. 

I mean what do you propose continue with Sky and play second fiddle to the Woman's Premier League?

1 minute ago, J-Maestro said:

Advertisers and Sponsorships will depend on viewership. How many celtic and Rangers fans won't subscribe? You'd likely see increased viewers rather than a decrease. Then any worldwide subscribers involved too.

250,000 subscribers for £120 a season would cover the £30m although production costs involved too. 

I mean what do you propose continue with Sky and play second fiddle to the Woman's Premier League?

I wouldn't put us behind a paywall on a streaming platform like apple do with the MLS if any streaming platforms actually had any interest. 

The issue is outside Sky and BBC there is no interest and Sky only have us because of the 4 old firms. The product is garbage compared to others. If we had options then you could have a point and put it out to tender.

1 hour ago, esquire8 said:

I wouldn't put us behind a paywall on a streaming platform like apple do with the MLS if any streaming platforms actually had any interest. 

The issue is outside Sky and BBC there is no interest and Sky only have us because of the 4 old firms. The product is garbage compared to others. If we had options then you could have a point and put it out to tender.

We never put it out to tender, that was part of our own clubs argument.

12 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

The bit you've missed out is infrastructure and app development. 

They would need to build streaming infrastructure and create Apps for different devices (Android, iOS, LG, Samsung, Virgin, Sky etc).

Live streaming is incredibly expensive. There's a reason why the likes of Disney, HBO, Netflix etc stay clear of it. It is multitudes more difficult and expensive than steaming pre-recorded content.

£30m would barely scratch the surface on the cost to build and maintain all of it. 

The only streaming choice you would have is if Amazon wanted it, but I'd doubt they would.

1 hour ago, Somemightsay7 said:

The bit you've missed out is infrastructure and app development. 

They would need to build streaming infrastructure and create Apps for different devices (Android, iOS, LG, Samsung, Virgin, Sky etc).

Live streaming is incredibly expensive. There's a reason why the likes of Disney, HBO, Netflix etc stay clear of it. It is multitudes more difficult and expensive than steaming pre-recorded content.

£30m would barely scratch the surface on the cost to build and maintain all of it. 

The only streaming choice you would have is if Amazon wanted it, but I'd doubt they would.

Almost every SPL club manages to do it already…