Viaplay pulling out of Scottish Football

Dan Deacon

1 minute ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Doncaster must be up there with the most inept to ever run our game, yet he's seemingly untouchable and msm refuse to even consider criticism of his multiple considerable failures. He's been nothing but a constraint to the growth of our game.

I mean he's hopeless but I don't see how this one is his fault.

8 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I mean he's hopeless but I don't see how this one is his fault.

He was in the negotiations when ViaPlay took over from Premier Sports and went as far as congratulating them for excellent coverage until 2027 that they were going to provide. Less than 8 months in to 2023 and the deal is dead.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-viaplay-cup

You can bet ViaPlay inserted some nice clauses that get them out of jail for minimal financial risk - hence this mornings announcement. No way they back out of 3/4 seasons of coverage if the penalties are substantial enough.

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

Tbf wasn't the deal with Premier Sports but Viaplay bought them over? 

Shouldn't have been dealing with Premier Sports in the first place after the Setanta debacle. 

Can see it now being punted to the BBC for peanuts. Doubt Sky will be interested as they weren't before.

Dodgy small companies. If they had sense they'd be flogging themselves to DAZN and TNT.

3 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

He was in the negotiations when ViaPlay took over from Premier Sports and went as far as congratulating them for excellent coverage until 2027 that they were going to provide. Less than 8 months in to 2023 and the deal is dead.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-viaplay-cup

You can bet ViaPlay inserted some nice clauses that get them out of jail for minimal financial risk - hence this mornings announcement. No way they back out of 3/4 seasons of coverage if the penalties are substantial enough.

It's all residuals from the Premier deal that Viaplay inherited when they took over.

4 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Premier/Setanta were the dodgiest of the dodgy. Wonder if the same people think 3rd time is a charm? Tarrier wanks.

DAZN are in the shit too aren't they? TNT are cutting back alot from BT.

Supporters have got to realise the product is shit and barely any companies are interested enough to put in an offer. 

True. Outside us and the scum I don't think the quality of our game has ever been this bad. Nobody outside Scotland is remotely interested in our game barring the odd old firm derby.

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's all residuals from the Premier deal that Viaplay inherited when they took over.

It is. But you've got to wonder why ViaPlay bought over PS for over 30 million just to pull out one of its main markets a few months later. My guess is the financial penalties are pretty much non existent and they'll be free to flog the rights to some other tinpot streaming platform.