Welcome to Rangers, Philippe Clement!

50 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Anyone who has watched the first halves in past two old firm games and thinks we never got it wrong in midfield selection and tactics should go have a lie down.

Being compact is what was required - we were all over the shop.

Athleticism is what was required -Lundstram and Lawrence can barely move.

If the manager goes with same tactics and personnel in Cup Final then good luck to him as he’ll need it.

Simply this 👌 

17 minutes ago, Big Al 55 said:

So how do we setup in CF with available personnel?

Sterling would be first name in centre of my midfield.

Wright   Sterling    Lundstrum   Silva

Diomande 

Dessers

:ang:

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

4231 isn't a problem if the front 4 are good offensively and in shape/press when not in possession.

Our front options aren't good enough going forward and again abysmal in shape/press leading to us getting overrun as we all saw.  They CANT do what is required, our performances and results v celtic evidence that.

My point is that without 4 better players than we have for upfront then 4 forwards are a luxury we can't afford at the expense of making the midfield stronger by adding numbers in there. And for me Sterling had to be part of that midfield over any other role.

We are certainly in agreement about the players and I understand your point about Sterling, I suppose the problem we have at the moment is he seems one of the few who has a desire to win and we need him in so many positions. 

I am hoping we can get Sima back for the final, but with the hellish luck we have had with injuries, I am taking nothing for granted.

37 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Midfield needs to come from Raskin, Diamonde, Sterling and maybe Jack.

Lundstram cannot wear our jersey again.

Tbh appreciate no player wants to be injured but the lack of availability from Jack is more annoying to me than Lundstram.

The issue we have is that if we go narrow and bulk up the middle, our fullbacks cannot be trusted to defend anything, so we put players wide to cover their defensive weaknesses, that leaves the midfield vunerable

We need to upgrade either part so they can be trusted on their own if we need to protect other parts, and we'll probably find its cheaper to defensively upgrade the fullbacks than it is to upgrade the midfield 

Just now, Jimfanciesthedude said:

The issue we have is that if we go narrow and bulk up the middle, our fullbacks cannot be trusted to defend anything, so we put players wide to cover their defensive weaknesses, that leaves the midfield vunerable

We need to upgrade either part so they can be trusted on their own if we need to protect other parts, and we'll probably find its cheaper to defensively upgrade the fullbacks than it is to upgrade the midfield 

If you have 3 in midfield it’s easy enough for one either side to drop in when full backs bomb forward, in fact easier than expecting Sima, Silva or Sterling to do it when playing out wide 

8 minutes ago, Big Al 55 said:

If you have 3 in midfield it’s easy enough for one either side to drop in when full backs bomb forward, in fact easier than expecting Sima, Silva or Sterling to do it when playing out wide 

And then 3 in the middle becomes 2, 2 who get overran 

See the issue, when gerrard deployed it the guys were younger, fitter, more athletic, and even then it only worked half the time (bar one season where everything clicked) 

And we also go back to the square pegs round holes situation, fullbacks become wingers, wingers become centre mids and centre mids become fullbacks

Theres a reason that system won one trophy in 3 years 

5 hours ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

We played a flat under Gerrard and were the most in control of matches I can remember us in old firms and Europe.

We don’t have Kamara, Jack and Davis now. The 3 we would play from what’s available would get overrun.

3 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

We don’t have Kamara, Jack and Davis now. The 3 we would play from what’s available would get overrun.

We've far less chance of being overrun with a combination of Sterling, Lundstram, Diomande and Raskin in a flat 3 than a combination of the 2 with Lawrence or Cantwell further ahead.

3 hours ago, ayro said:

Tbh appreciate no player wants to be injured but the lack of availability from Jack is more annoying to me than Lundstram.

Giving him a new contract remains absolutely beyond belief and we’ve known a few shockers. 

Sticking with the manager and have a great deal of sympathy for what he inherited etc but to not get maximum points from Motherwell, Dundee and Ross County (the latter two in particular) in our (then)situation is setting off serious alarm bells. 

8 minutes ago, markem said:

Giving him a new contract remains absolutely beyond belief and we’ve known a few shockers. 

He didn’t deserve a year extension as he had missed plenty that season as well.

6 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

You kidding, there was a good number of people also wanting sterling wide right to both help tav defensively and go at taylor cause taylor is a fucking wet wipe 

Good number? Like a handful of people including someone whos cluless about football in the original poster of the matchday thread?

3 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

See the issue, when gerrard deployed it the guys were younger, fitter, more athletic, and even then it only worked half the time (bar one season where everything clicked) 

Jack, Arfield, Davis all younger, fitter and more athletic?? 🤣

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Jack, Arfield, Davis all younger, fitter and more athletic?? 🤣

Why quote they 3 when we had 

Tav, kamara, kent, aribo who were all young or in tavs case 3 years younger or more

And davis pre injury was one of the fittest guys at the club, to deny that is just daft 

2 hours ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

We've far less chance of being overrun with a combination of Sterling, Lundstram, Diomande and Raskin in a flat 3 than a combination of the 2 with Lawrence or Cantwell further ahead.

The issue is getting the ball out with those three though. I’m not really sure what could be done with this team anymore, we are missing so many vital parts at this point.

6 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Why quote they 3 when we had 

Tav, kamara, kent, aribo who were all young or in tavs case 3 years younger or more

And davis pre injury was one of the fittest guys at the club, to deny that is just daft 

So the likes of Yilmaz, Diomande, Cantwell, Matondo are all old, non athletic and unfit?

It's daft to claim someone like Lundstram is unfit, old or not athletic but Davis wasn't. Lundstram gets about much more than Davis did under Gerrard.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

So the likes of Yilmaz, Diomande, Cantwell, Matondo are all old, non atheltic and unfit?

Yilmaz and Matondo aren't close to fit, they never have been, cantwell has barely been fit this season as well and Diomande is but he's there himself

Not arguing against they players in that system, but we don't have them available all the time

Had cortes and sima been fit on sat he could have started a midfield 3 of lundstram, diomande and sterling, more than enough legs there for the job