Welcome to Rangers, Philippe Clement!

7 minutes ago, MisterC said:

That's it exactly, he could only do so much with who he had at his disposal so he really didn't have much of a choice. 

He did and has had choices for a month or so now and continually made bad choices , weve needed sterling in the middle of that park for ages now , a blind man could see it 

34 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I’d have played Cantwell and gone for it but something must have happened behind the scenes.

If he didn’t want to do that then Sterling had to be in there. I like Lawrence but he’s not the player he was and starting him again after how badly it went the last time killed us from the start. 

Yeah he tried to undermine the manager by posting cryptic shite on Instagram.

3 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

So he watched the game back and wouldn’t have changed the midfield he started with.

Fucking hell.

That right there is his problem and will be going forward, he's either too stubborn or clueless, the fact he's won titles previously points to the former but its not going to help him in the long run.

In the week before the build up all you seen from people posting/podcasts etc was that we needed to match their 3 in midfield and Sterling had to be 1 of them in there, if cunts like us can see it then why can't the manager. 

Be different if Sterling was dynamite on the right wing, it's probably where he's shone the least tbh! 

Just now, Valance1690 said:

That right there is his problem and will be going forward, he's either too stubborn or clueless, the fact he's won titles previously points to the former but its not going to help him in the long run.

In the week before the build up all you seen from people posting/podcasts etc was that we needed to match their 3 in midfield and Sterling had to be 1 of them in there, if cunts like us can see it then why can't the manager. 

Be different if Sterling was dynamite on the right wing, it's probably where he's shone the least tbh! 

Who would you have put on the right instead? Wright, well we saw how his last start v them went, and McCausland isn't exactly firing on all cylinders. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Just now, MisterC said:

Who would you have put on the right instead? Wright, well we saw how his last start v them went, and McCausland isn't exactly firing on all cylinders. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Personally I wanted us to change the full lot, go for a 541 if we were defending it out and hoping to counter or go 352 and try something different, neither was ever going to happen realistically.

From what we've done over the years and with Clement, the easy answer for him was to do a flat 3 of Diomande/Lundstram/Sterling & have Silva/Dessers/McAusland going forward, its far from perfect but its got to be better than sticking with what we knew would get us overrun

When fans can pick out exactly what's going to go wrong an hour before the game then what are the opposition managers going to be doing 

2 minutes ago, MisterC said:

I actually cannot get in my head how people are so blinkered with this too. No matter were we put Sterling, another position was going to suffer massively. 

He went for protecting Tav and it probably was correct.

3 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Personally I wanted us to change the full lot, go for a 541 if we were defending it out and hoping to counter or go 352 and try something different, neither was ever going to happen realistically.

From what we've done over the years and with Clement, the easy answer for him was to do a flat 3 of Diomande/Lundstram/Sterling & have Silva/Dessers/McAusland going forward, its far from perfect but its got to be better than sticking with what we knew would get us overrun

When fans can pick out exactly what's going to go wrong an hour before the game then what are the opposition managers going to be doing 

Drastically changing formation in such a way would have been a huge gamble though. If it had gone wrong, God knows how ugly it would have been.

2 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

I actually cannot get in my head how people are so blinkered with this too. No matter were we put Sterling, another position was going to suffer massively. 

He went for protecting Tav and it probably was correct.

But can you not see its better to be strong in the middle of the park where games are won and lost than at right wing , and if sterling played right of a flat 3 he wouldve still protected tav 

1 minute ago, ger4life_1872 said:

But can you not see its better to be strong in the middle of the park where games are won and lost than at right wing , and if sterling played right of a flat 3 he wouldve still protected tav 

Games are won all over the park, he’s obviously decided the XI with Sterling out wide was better than the XI with Sterling in middle and Wright/McCausland out wide.

I don’t think we win that game with Sterling in the middle either.

1 minute ago, J-Maestro said:

Games are won all over the park, he’s obviously decided the XI with Sterling out wide was better than the XI with Sterling in middle and Wright/McCausland out wide.

I don’t think we win that game with Sterling in the middle either.

He did and he was wrong again 

I would have had Sterling in the middle and McCausland wide but he's not been great since Motherwell.

I think you can see we clearly wanted Sterling's physicality over Taylor for loading the back post - we created a half chance from a similar situation to the goal we actually scored. With McCausland wide you're not getting that.

I think the manager's hands were somewhat tied. You could argue if he wanted Sterling wide he could have popped Raskin in for Lawrence, but he's barely been seen since Motherwell. The guys who have played ahead of him have been garbage too, but clearly the manager opted for those with more game time in recent weeks. 

Said after the match I think it was a questionable line up/set up, and definitely some questionable subs during the game, but I do also think he didn't have much wiggle room. Both can be true. 

32 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

He did and he was wrong again 

Every single formation would be wrong though, as plenty have said his hands were tied.

Sterling starts and we lose and Clement is a disgrace for starting Wright/McCausland.

I think most would have preferred Sterling in the middle, but every single option came with aye but he got that wrong. Don't think anyone is arguing that he couldn't have gone the other way but it's not cut and dry that would have changed anything either. 

People are arguing it was an impossible situation to get fully right.

1 minute ago, J-Maestro said:

Every single formation would be wrong though, as plenty have said his hands were tied.

Sterling starts and we lose and Clement is a disgrace for starting Wright/McCausland.

I think most would have preferred Sterling in the middle, but every single option came with aye but he got that wrong. Don't think anyone is arguing that he couldn't have gone the other way but it's not cut and dry that would have changed anything either. 

People are arguing it was an impossible situation to get fully right.

No offence mate but thats nonsense , everycunt knew and agreed we couldnt surrender the centre of the pitch to them again , he did and the result became inevitable , 

If he tried to change it , made an effort to learn from past mistakes and we came up short then yes it still fucking hurts but atleast an attempt wouldve been made 

I think if he gets players in that he wants then we will be fine. It was only a handful of games but look at the difference having cortes made. An actual winger that could do something. 

Lets face it, McCausland and wright wouldnt be starting for Hearts or Killie IMO, so why the fuck would they be able to do a job for us. You could also add Matondo into that at times. 

Lawrence is past it , Cantwell is a fairy, nobody really knows what silva is good at. 

Then you've got dessers who looks like he hasnt seen a football half the time. 

We have some amount of shite and theres only so much he can do with it. 

6 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

No offence mate but thats nonsense , everycunt knew and agreed we couldnt surrender the centre of the pitch to them again , he did and the result became inevitable , 

If he tried to change it , made an effort to learn from past mistakes and we came up short then yes it still fucking hurts but atleast an attempt wouldve been made 

That there is the point, if he'd tried something & shown he'd learned from the past mistakes then he'd have a hell of a lot more support than he does right now.

The fact he's actually doubled down today and said with hindsight he wouldn't have done anything different is worrying, if the tarriers took the easy chances we gave them we'd have been looking at a 4/5-1 pumping

16 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

They may have until they score a goal down the right from Wright/McCausland being there.

Also don't think I saw a single suggested XI on here that was the same.

With the gift of hindsight it’s easy to sit here and say Clement got it wrong. But given how direct we are playing, ditching wingers altogether was probably the best option instead of trying to put square pegs in round holes or relying on players who just aren’t good enough.

Sterling - Lundstram - Diomande

————— Lawrence

———— Dessers - Silva 

You play the formation that you have the personnel for. If Clement and our players can’t be flexible we won’t win league titles.

3 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

They may have until they score a goal down the right from Wright/McCausland being there.

But they scored down the right 

3 minutes ago, Iakona said:

With the gift of hindsight it’s easy to sit here and say Clement got it wrong. But given how direct we are playing, ditching wingers altogether was probably the best option instead of trying to put square pegs in round holes or relying on players who just aren’t good enough.

Sterling - Lundstram - Diomande

————— Lawrence

———— Dessers - Silva 

Plenty of options of the bench with Raskin, Cantwell and Roofe.

Hindsight wasnt required 

1 minute ago, ger4life_1872 said:

But they scored down the right 

Hence why Sterling was on the right to help Tav or it might have been more.

We've got people thinking we should have played more wingers that's far more ridiculous than Clement going with Sterling on the right who was suggested for there by plenty of people.

If we had anyone decent on the right 100% I'd say he made a mistake but we don't.

2 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Hence why Sterling was on the right to help Tav or it might have been more.

We've got people thinking we should have played more wingers that's far more ridiculous than Clement going with Sterling on the right who was suggested for there by plenty of people.

If we had anyone decent on the right 100% I'd say he made a mistake but we don't.

Fuck me , sterling on the right of a 3 man midfield can still push out and help tav 

8 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

We'll never know. All we do know is he stuck to his system again, McGregor and O'Reilly had a field day again, and we lost again.

So whilst some say something needs to change or we'll keep getting the same outcome you comfort yourself with Taylor being kept away from Tav as the win.

More of the same in the cup final too eh. Same tactic, same predictable outcome looming. Hope we keep Taylor quiet though.. 

14 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Loads talked about the priority of 3 in midfield including Sterling. It was primarily the front 3 that had variations in selections. Unsurprising as most are underperforming.

17 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Loads talked about the priority of 3 in midfield including Sterling. It was primarily the front 3 that had variations in selections. Unsurprising as most are underperforming.

And I seen some of the same folk having meltdowns at the thought of Wright or McCausland starting and wanting that daft cunt Cantwell out wide.