The Penalty Given Against Goldson

It is a penalty. As others have said including Clement the current rule is not a good one. It isn't intentional. If you see it without the context of Maeda's flick then his elbow looks in a stupid position, but when you see the whole thing the deflection brings it straight onto his elbow. The rule is a bad one. If it was for us we'd be screaming for it so it is what it is based on the current rules. 

1 hour ago, Jamie0202 said:

How can you misjudge the fight of the ball when you're already in the air and the ball takes a defelection 1 or 2 yards away from you? Bruce Lee's reactions couldn't have changed anything.

The Matrix ?

I wouldn’t be giving that , but I’m a dyed in the wool bluenose so that might sway my decision. Beaton if he was the cheat they say he is could have still said no. What would they have done to him had he done that ? 

The rules are a fucking joke, it puts the defenders at a massive disadvantage. Referees are expecting defenders to jump and header balls without using their arms. Today's game can fuck off. It is a penalty in today's game, but I'm dismayed at how soft the modern game is. 

22 minutes ago, five stars said:

All the reasons it shouldn't be a pen-

His arm is in a natural position when jumping.

It deflects off a player so you don't have any opportunity to move it out the way.

He's clearly not trying to make himself bigger.

It's not intentional.

There's no obvious advantage gained from it.

Reasons it should be a penalty-

It hits his arm in the box.

Yup.  It also hits Scales on the hand after it deflects off Goldson's elbow.  People act like the game is played in the slow-motion replay they see, Goldson could do nothing to fet out the way of it after it comes off Maeda.

1 hour ago, RealWorldRich said:

He was going to volley it with his left boot.  The flick on completely changed where the ball was going.

Would’ve probably leathered it into his own goal any way the big diddy 

1 hour ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

I could probably spend a day arguing about a lot of rules that are shite for the game now, seems football has went fucking retarded in last decade 

But at least the current handball rule is aa close to black and white as you could ask for, barely a grey area and easy for fans to accept going by the rules (unless you're a pape) 

I like it even if its fucked us a few times recently, i always say defenders get a raw deal with some of the rules nowadays but this one for me isnt one of them, 

Plus goldson is a big diddy (had to put that in) 

Point everyone is ignoring is that he’s not going to head the ball.

He’s going to clear it with his left foot under its original trajectory. 

His hand is in a natural position (whatever that means) for trying to do that.

It takes a deflection a millisecond before and after that hits his elbow.

If it’s looked under that context and deemed natural for his original motion. Is it a penalty?

I don’t think it is and the rules aren’t clear at all

From the start of the season it's been the same bloody pot luck nobody seems to know what is and isn't a penalty Killi away that's as blatant a hand ball as you see not given the souter against hearts given then the powers that be say later on it wasn't a penalty they way things are who to fuck knows

3 minutes ago, chris182 said:

Under the current rules aye. It's shite tho

Which bit of the rules?

“touches the ball with their hand/arm when it is in a position that makes their body unnaturally bigger and when that position is not the result of their body moving fairly as part of play

He’s going to volley it with his left foot. His hand is in a natural position to make that movement.

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

No needs for a thread on this.

Yes there is, it was possibly the biggest decision of the season so far, at 2-0 down at HT the title race was hugely in their favour and we were long odds to get back into the game.

It was a huge call in the context of the season and needs proper scrutiny.

Did Beaton make a clear & obvious error by not giving a penalty that struck the point of an elbow of Goldson after the ball deflected only a yard or so away from him?

It's certainly not clear and obvious, even if you think it's a penalty it's still very subjective when you consider current guidance on body positions and deflections.

37 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

I wouldn’t be giving that , but I’m a dyed in the wool bluenose so that might sway my decision. Beaton if he was the cheat they say he is could have still said no. What would they have done to him had he done that ? 

When everybody thought that he had given our second goal Sutton was going apeshit in the commentry box. Can you imagine the outrage if that goal stood.

5 minutes ago, RealWorldRich said:

Yes there is, it was possibly the biggest decision of the season so far, at 2-0 down at HT the title race was hugely in their favour and we were long odds to get back into the game.

It was a huge call in the context of the season and needs proper scrutiny.

Did Beaton make a clear & obvious error by not giving a penalty that struck the point of an elbow of Goldson after the ball deflected only a yard or so away from him?

It's certainly not clear and obvious, even if you think it's a penalty it's still very subjective when you consider current guidance on body positions and deflections.

It's a Penalty.

Agree or not. It's a penalty.

I’d say shite pen to give away, in no way intentional but it’s a pen in this day and age. We’ve benefited for some similar and been punished for some too. Goldson has arms up happy tho and again in the space of a week or two cost us another important goal 

53 minutes ago, five stars said:

All the reasons it shouldn't be a pen-

His arm is in a natural position when jumping.

It deflects off a player so you don't have any opportunity to move it out the way.

He's clearly not trying to make himself bigger.

It's not intentional.

There's no obvious advantage gained from it.

Reasons it should be a penalty-

It hits his arm in the box.

To be penalised  for doing  something you must have done something  wrong!

The ball inadvertently hitting  your arm or elbow  through  no fault  of yours should  not be penalised 👀

Can someone post the rule that says it’s a penalty? 

Our fans lapping up the Sutton pish.

He went to volley it and it got deflected.

In his act to play it he was in a natural position. 

He wasn’t trying to head it.