“I don’t know if the belief is there”

Just now, Loyal72 said:

That confused you? James-Tavernier-on-Rangers-mentality.thumb.jpg.54fbf6668e0ed13cea25e8c3e2884a24.jpg

Shouldn't confuse you, here's Tav speaking in 2019.

Fair point, but there was no blood to smell when we played County. We showed great resilience and effectively scored 4 v celtic in 45 mins and (at that stage) were ready to take a clear lead at the top of the league and remained on course for a treble.

Dundee probably based their approach on County's showing and choose to attack us. That's when their arses collapsed.

25 minutes ago, beararse said:

The thing that has confused the fuck out of me this past week is the Ross County and Dundee didnt sit back. There was no low block. They took the game to us and we absolutely shat it.

I'd happily see the whole lot binned bar Sterling (and Butland but he'll be offski). You don't necessarily have to be the best to be a success at anything, but you have to have the right mindset. 

It confuses me when teams do sit back and it confuses me when people complain about it. We are terrible against aggressive sides.

9 minutes ago, beararse said:

Fair point, but there was no blood to smell when we played County. We showed great resilience and effectively scored 4 v celtic in 45 mins and (at that stage) were ready to take a clear lead at the top of the league and remained on course for a treble.

Dundee probably based their approach on County's showing and choose to attack us. That's when their arses collapsed.

There was blood to smell though, they created it. Teams attack us, and we crumble. 

That can't carry on. The core is weak.

1 hour ago, MacBoyd said:

Dunno if it's mentality with the last 3, Lawrence can't run anymore as someone said he has a double chin ffs. Matondo is matondo enigma of a player tbh and dessers is shite. 

On the other ones borna yes, goldson is now undoubtedly evidence suggests lunny is. I don't think Jack and roofe are, they are just physically pathetic.

The one i can't make up my mind on is tav. How can a man who takes those pressure penalties so well and stepped up with vital moments so often, who always wants the ball, keep going etc be mentally weak? But...his performances do drop of a cliff at times especially now and what the fuck he did 20 seconds in at ibrox has to be a mentality issue.

Yip.  Tav and Goldson's comments have been projections.  A right back who is lost in his own penalty box and a centre half who is scary in both boxes.

21 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

That confused you? Shouldn't confuse you, here's Tav in 2019.

Bang to type in honesty.

James-Tavernier-on-Rangers-mentality.thumb.jpg.54fbf6668e0ed13cea25e8c3e2884a24.jpg

That sums Tav up but it's not anything to do with the results we've had lately. Only 2 players from that team are still playing regularly.

3 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

That sums Tav up but it's not anything to do with the results we've had lately. Only 2 players from that team are still playing regularly.

Who's still captain? Who's still vice-captain? Like I said, this mentality seeps and infects. 

What happened to us against county and dundee is carbon copy what Tav says happens to us when teams attack.

And if different managers aren't changing it, it comes from somewhere, fucking they two.

9 hours ago, HG5 said:

(I’m selling Butland to generate some cash, not that I don’t like him).

Not sure about this.

Firstly I dread to think where we'd be now without him. I think it's 8 games we've won by a single goal, without Butland at least some of those could have been draws or worse.

Second, how much are we likely to get.  There didn't seem to be much interest in him when he was available on a free, and whilst he's been brilliant for us, we all know English clubs look down their noses at Scottish Football.

Also whilst 31 isn't old for a keeper, there will be little or no sell on vallue.

So our only real hope of a decent fee would be interest from the Saudis.

As were crying out for leaders I'd keep him and give him the armband.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

We need to break up the leadership/senior group in the squad. They've had their chances.

Getting rid of all of them is unrealistic, but as a start we either keep Tav or Goldson, but not both. There are a few other senior players I'd move on to and start again building a group with leadership.

In any team, be it in sport, work, etc - there's a mix of personalities and abilities. When it comes to the senior group (but to necessarily the manager) some can lead by example, others can lead by being no nonsense, others inspire, etc.

However these are the guys you look to drag the folk that maybe aren't naturally positive, are a bit quieter, or aren't ruthless winners along with them - I've seen enough evidence over enough time to say that don't think our playing squad has that in the senior positions. 

I've played enough sport and worked in enough teams to know the difference a good leadership/senior group makes, and seen how toxic cliques, weakness, comfort zones, etc, etc can be.  When rot like that has set in, the only remedy is to remove it.

I'd keep Tav with the caveat that he's stripped of the captaincy and get rid of Goldson. I could just about stomach that as long as the like of Lundstram and Barisic are away too.

Problem with the “teams attack us”. Is some of our best results have been against teams that attack us. So it doesn’t stack up.

Generally when teams like Hearts open up against us we punish them. They try to play and we press and win the ball back in dangerous areas.

County and Dundee had a go but it was more we couldn’t match their fight and energy. Rather than tactical imo.

The lack of a natural cm as well was noticeable with Dowell and Lawrence both brutal in the position.

3 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I’m pretty sure Lundstram has been offered a deal already and it just hasn’t been announced. I think Phil loves him and id be stunned if he’s not signing a new contract 

Two trains of thought regarding contracts:

1. he’s got a new deal so doesn’t need to try to win one so he goes lazy again
  2. he’s not getting a deal so doesn’t need to try to win one so he goes lady again

I’m not sure lundstram is the root of the problem but I’d still much rather see him leave and free the wages up as he’s not worth what he’s on now and presumably what he’ll be on if he has signed an extension

5 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I’m pretty sure Lundstram has been offered a deal already and it just hasn’t been announced. I think Phil loves him and id be stunned if he’s not signing a new contract 

I think this is probably the case, but I have blind hope that we haven't. 

Just now, OrangeRab said:

Problem with the “teams attack us”. Is some of our best results have been against teams attack us. So it doesn’t stack up.

Generally when teams like Hearts open up against us we punish them.

County and Dundee had a go but it was more we couldn’t match their fight and energy. Rather than tactical imo.

The lack of a natural cm as well was noticeable with Dowell and Lawrence both brutal in the position.

I think what the statement meant was when they press us high up the park and our in our faces when they are out of possession.

You are right though that generally when teams don’t play the low block that’s when we won and won comfortably.

1 minute ago, NeoGeo7 said:

2. he’s not getting a deal so doesn’t need to try to win one so he goes lady again

I’m not sure lundstram is the root of the problem but I’d still much rather see him leave and free the wages up as he’s not worth what he’s on now and presumably what he’ll be on if he has signed an extension

:matron:

12 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

On his head be it.

Should be taken off the table based on the recent repeat of every season he’s been here.

If PC sticks with these guys, then he’ll be going before them.  

Sad thing is with this team when the players are " not feeling it " no one else can grab the game by the horns. We lack that majorly. 

We do really need to get rid of Goldson though that is a must he has cost us to much with his errors. If we manage to get any clubs wanting to come in and buy anyone else we must accept if it's right for the club obviously.

I am just hoping that the summer is the ending for some of these players. I will always thank them for 55 and the 2 cups and the Europa League Final but sadly the bad outweigh the good 👍 

4 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Problem with the “teams attack us”. Is some of our best results have been against teams that attack us. So it doesn’t stack up.

Generally when teams like Hearts open up against us we punish them. They try to play and we press and win the ball back in dangerous areas.

Teams trying to attack us on the ball, and just playing football against us and not being as good at it, is different - those teams get opened up.

Teams that press us off the ball, give us no space at all, laugh at our players, goad them, and just full pelt go for it - we shit ourselves.

I can't actually believe that both our captain and vice captain would talk about the poor mentality of the squad in the manner that they have.

Sterling talks about it in a frustrated way, that he doesn't know why the mentality is lacking, but Tavernier and Goldson have spoken about it in a defeatest manner. 

I think we need the dry rot out of our club. I think we are making a massive mistake offering Lundstram a new contract, as we did with Goldson last season. I hope to god that Borna has agreed a contract elsewhere too. 

Tav i would keep, but we need more players with the attitude of Sterling and Butland, we need players who won't accept mediocrity and one trophy every other season. 

1 minute ago, Loyal72 said:

Teams trying to attack us on the ball, and just playing football against us and not being as good at it, is different - those teams get opened up.

Teams that press us off the ball, give us no space at all, laugh at our players, goad them, and just full pelt go for it - we shit ourselves.

Our own captain even said it in a match Day Programme and our vice captain even said it after a cup game we where dumped out in an interview.

Don't really know what goes on with these players when pressure gets ramped up its as if they hate it and just want to play football without any pressure it's crazy. It's a Psychological thing 100%

9 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

He's a weird one to figure out, one part of me says bin him, the other part is kinda sympathetic regarding what he's asked to do

When clement came in, lundstram, along with others, started flying, he was dominating games, controlling the middle of the park etc, and at the time a few of us said its because he has less roles to do (less covering fullbacks, sterling in the middle doing a lot of running with him) 

Now we're back to the defence being a basketcase and no energy in the middle with him, its like he has too much to do and simply cannot do it (wether he should be able to is a different argument) 

For a few months there we were absolutely solid at the back bar the odd brain fart, the midfield didnt really need to concern themselves with the back 4

Now our defence looks absolutely shot to bits, the midfield must be constantly looking over their shoulder expecting another fuck up