Lee McCulloch

Muff

Can anybody tell me what this guy actually contributes to a Rangers side ?

Its like playing with ten men. He offers next to nothing going forward, all Mcgregor does is bleesh balls to him for him to knock on, yet he wins very little aerial battles despite him being regarded as good in the air.

He constantly drifts inside into a central area leaving his fullback exposed, where at least Burke tries to cover Broadfoot. We'd be as well playing Davis and playing three centrally or Naismith wide left as they would offer far more than McCulloch ever would.

He's might be a bluenose but he is absolutely brutal!!

Apart from six good games, he has been a complete and utter waste of £2.25million!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unnecessarily harsh, since he is returning to fitness. Defensively and offensively, his aerial prowess has been useful, he does work hard, get stuck in and can contribute goals. Overall, better than Adam, but I wouldn't mind seeing Buffel, Gow and Davis get a turn, though not all at once.

I have to say i totally disagree.

I think he's one of the few Rangers players that actually plays for his jersey. Every week he doesnt stop running as long as he's on the park.

He DOES win most of his ariel challenges. And contributes some good assists.

Its Walter Smith's rubbish tactics that have our team looking bad. Glasgow Rangers should never be playing 1 player in attack in ANY game. Look at out team in the 90s. You'd never have seen us playing 1 up front.

We need to stop signing players like Whittaker and Thomson from the SPL and go back to the days where we'd sign top class players. These would be paid for by the money we'd get from actually making it into the last 16 in the Champs League...

I think he's one of the few Rangers players that actually plays for his jersey. Every week he doesnt stop running as long as he's on the park.

Its Walter Smith's rubbish tactics that have our team looking bad. Glasgow Rangers should never be playing 1 player in attack in ANY game. Look at out team in the 90s. You'd never have seen us playing 1 up front.

We need to stop signing players like Whittaker and Thomson from the SPL and go back to the days where we'd sign top class players. These would be paid for by the money we'd get from actually making it into the last 16 in the Champs League...

Welcome to the site, are you lee mcculloch?

I agree with some of your points on lee but Kevin Thomson has been an integral part in our team this season and is definitely missed at the moment, the days of the top class players are gone, we have to watch who we buy and granted sometimes the SPL player root isnt the best but im sure we will get some quality players in next season

I agree with some of your points on lee but Kevin Thomson has been an integral part in our team this season and is definitely missed at the moment, the days of the top class players are gone, we have to watch who we buy and granted sometimes the SPL player root isnt the best but im sure we will get some quality players in next season

Pfft how did you guess it was me?

Yeah i do agree that Thomson has been a great player for us. I was just referring to him as an example.

I really hate how every season...Rangers or Celtic are always linked with the best player in the other SPL teams. We should be bringing in players from Europe and the Premiership....not Dundee Utd's best player, or Hibs youngsters.

We have the Scouts we need to be scouring europe for players, but do we...no.

We go after players that perform well against celtic in the champions league or UEFA cup too. Theres been so many in the past years that its just become a joke. We need to inject some flair back into our side, a bit of pace up front and down the wings. Yet on the left we have Papac and McCulloch. WHat happaned to the days when we had players like Robertson, Brown, Numan on the left?

Walter needs to sort it out in the summer, and im pretty sure he will get rid of a lot of players.

Pfft how did you guess it was me?

Yeah i do agree that Thomson has been a great player for us. I was just referring to him as an example.

I really hate how every season...Rangers or Celtic are always linked with the best player in the other SPL teams. We should be bringing in players from Europe and the Premiership....not Dundee Utd's best player, or Hibs youngsters.

We have the Scouts we need to be scouring europe for players, but do we...no.

We go after players that perform well against celtic in the champions league or UEFA cup too. Theres been so many in the past years that its just become a joke. We need to inject some flair back into our side, a bit of pace up front and down the wings. Yet on the left we have Papac and McCulloch. WHat happaned to the days when we had players like Robertson, Brown, Numan on the left?

Walter needs to sort it out in the summer, and im pretty sure he will get rid of a lot of players.

Welcome to RM mate but,

"We have the Scouts we need to be scouring europe for players, but do we...no." - Most would say our Scouting is CRAP. Very few Scouts as far as I know.

"Yet on the left we have Papac and McCulloch. WHat happaned to the days when we had players like Robertson, Brown, Numan on the left?" - Does this not take away from your earlier pro LM argument?

No LM and CA are a couple of donkeys who very occasionally get it right. (1 time in 50)

I think he is a player that we need to be very patient with as in time he will find his feet and become a valuable player in the team. The origional post is harsh but it's also fair at this stage.

Look at the players in the past that we thought were crap but came good.

Goram (hearts game anyone?)

Hately

Mo Johnstone

Hutton bigtime!!!!

Gary Stevens was'nt everyones fav player but came on to be one of our best ever silent sams.

Those are the ones that rolled off the top of the head rite away i'm sure you lot will remeber more.

We as RANGERS fans are the most impatient fans in the world <cr>:rangers:

Its like playing with ten men. He offers next to nothing going forward, all Mcgregor does is bleesh balls to him for him to knock on, yet he wins very little aerial battles despite him being regarded as good in the air.

He constantly drifts inside into a central area leaving his fullback exposed, where at least Burke tries to cover Broadfoot. We'd be as well playing Davis and playing three centrally or Naismith wide left as they would offer far more than McCulloch ever would.

Apart from six good games, he has been a complete and utter waste of £2.25million!

(tu) Spot on.

Scouting system or no scouting system, that money could have went a lot further! If all else fails and there is no scouting system then we should have just sat on our hands and not bought him at all!

If you feel so strongly about this then why did you include him in your team for yesterday?:lol:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=2254295

That's a good point, he wins very little in the air.

Barry and Stevie Naismith appear to be better in the air than him, even though they're both tiny compared to him.

I rubbished this guy ages a go and got slagged for it on here good to see people wisen up to him apart from WS.

Same with me, I brought up his faults quite often, just after the start of the season (tu)

Well not slagged, but was given the usual arguments like 'he works hard, wins headers, is vital to the team etc etc'

I agree, Muff. Im not a fan of his at all but he gets praised a lot through the media for some reason and i have no idea why.

When he plays, we play terrible. Long balls galore. He is useful to bring on if we are chasing a goal and have to play route 1 football, but not from the start ffs.

Not online again until 8pm, so here is a quote from what I said last week on Lee from the other day than just me agreeing with Muff so far in the thread really.

From the thread 'What is McCulloch's role in the team?'

Big Lee is a quality player. I have to admit I didnt understand Walter signing him in the summer but he has turned out to be a quality signing. I know the scum would take him in the morning. At Easter Road when he was playing through the middle he was different class and got motm and caused Rob Jones all problems. Lee will get back his true form and show everyone he is a true Ranger.

Firstly with respect I need to take issue with the word 'quality' here as in IMO it shows how some people hand out words like 'quality' and 'world class' like giving out sweeties to kids at the Ice ream van as to be frank, if Lee is a 'quality player' then I'll need to search my dictionary to describe Laudrup and Gazza! Going lesser, I would rate Rod Wallace and Tony Vidmar higher tbh than McCulloch. I think that its another example of how some people over-rate McCulloch.

What is his role? Well, it is simply to be in a wide position but to win headers and to work hard and help the full-back.

The above paragraph is not enough for me, I'd like and generally demand more from my midfielder. A midfielder that can split defences with a pass, dribble or have useful speed among other things.

His role as a striker is yet to be cemented but he has yet to shine at there either where he is more suited there to me and indeed it is baffling when some say he isn't a striker as he started off there in his career!

To conclude, and I could go on for much longer, I believe Lee has had more bad games than any other Rangers player this season - I count 8 from the fixture list - and indeed at times is a waste of a jersey as there are players in the squad and in the football world as a whole who would be more effective and entertaining into the bargain for our midfield. He really does lack the skill and creative nous for the top level and Rangers level IMHO and also considering the fee we paid too at 2.5 million.

If you feel so strongly about this then why did you include him in your team for yesterday?:lol:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=2254295

My first team didn't include him and the second one did as I had Boyd and Naismith up front together with Burke out right. The only players who could then play out on the left would be McCulloch or Adam. And unfortunatley Adam is even worse!

Not online again until 8pm, so here is a quote from what I said last week on Lee from the other day than just me agreeing with Muff so far in the thread really.

Yup Boab, I'm the attention seeker ;)

I take it you're away for soup :lol: