Will we miss out on Bosman's?

With so many games to prepare for I can't see any of the coaching staff having time to look at players for next year. This is not such a big concern with players who are under contract as we can't tap them up at the moment anyway, but clubs will be signing players on pre-contract agreements as we speak. The Bosman market has been very good to us in the past, but I can't see us making any Bosman signings for next year. Maybe we should bring in a Frank Arnesen, Dennis Wise type role for the future in case the same happens again.

I'm sure I read an article recently from the Evening Times which was posted on here, that indicated that Walter has already identified some targets and Martin Bain was working behind the scenes to attempt to secure these signatures. It wasn't clear if it would be Bosman's or not, anyway recent reports indicate that WS is only looking to sign about 3 more players who he feels could walk straight into the team.

Not a fan of these 'Director of Football' type roles. I think there is always the risk of the managers nose being put out of joint over certain matters, and that's never worth chancing in my view, particularly when you have a good thing going as we do just now.

I'm gonnae come off like a huge plonk here....but

what's a BOSMAN? (never really understtod that?) :huh:

It's where a player has come to the end of his contract with a club and can leave for free. The receiving club don't have to pay a transfer fee etc. There is a ruling though that if the player is below a certain age then compensation has to be given to the losing club.

It's where a player has come to the end of his contract with a club and can leave for free. The receiving club don't have to pay a transfer fee etc. There is a ruling though that if the player is below a certain age then compensation has to be given to the losing club.

But that wasn't to do with the Bosman, I don't think, that was Fifa's new rules years later when they introduced the transfer window etc.

But that wasn't to do with the Bosman, I don't think, that was Fifa's new rules years later when they introduced the transfer window etc.

Yea the Bosman rule only entitles a player to move for free at the end of his contract, that's all

A poor day for world football

If they are a youngster then compensation still has to be paid to the losing club, it's never millions though.

If they are a youngster then compensation still has to be paid to the losing club, it's never millions though.

True but its better than nothing, especially for small teams. In our case, we paid 250k to both St Mirren and Falkirk for Kirk and Gowser although not well known.

Is that now what Martin Bain is for? Scouts show Walter the players he makes the decision, Bain goes to meet player etc.?

Bain at one point recently did have the title of 'Director of Football Business', so yes.

Is that now what Martin Bain is for? Scouts show Walter the players he makes the decision, Bain goes to meet player etc.?

I'm never too sure of what Bain's role is to be honest <cr> but I think you've probably got it in a nutshell, not sure if he goes to see the player first or if he is the first person to make contact with the club/agent. I suppose with Bosman's he doesn't even have to inform the club, just the agent, even though I believe Rangers do have a policy where they will inform the losing club even if it is through the Bosman ruling.

True but its better than nothing, especially for small teams. In our case, we paid 250k to both St Mirren and Falkirk for Kirk and Gowser although not well known.

We were ripped off! :pipehorse:

I think we might announce the signing of a player once we are knocked out of the UEFA Cup. Something that will give us fans a lift. We've done it in the past and I can see it happening again.

The name Ivan Klasnic seems to be the one going about but we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm sure the player(s) will of been identified!

Don't expect us to be kept up to date with proceedings.

Since Celtic began trying to nick all our targets, it's no surprise that it's being kept hush hush. Think back to last sesaon, JCD appeared one day out of the blue on a bosman, no-one suspected it one little bit.

I expect this to be the trend from now on.

The Jean-Claude Darcheville signing was not announced until the 9th of May. So it's still quite early. I'd prefer for the signings and talks to be kept hush, hush and one day just come out.