Away goals rule, time for a rethink.

minstral

after watching rangers in europe plus other sides i think its time for a rethink for the away goal rule.

before the rule, the away team would defend in the face of all out attack, from the home team, the second leg was the same which gave you two half decent games, in which one team wants to win. since they changed the rule it seems none of the teams wants to win the first leg and are just happy not to concede a goal. im not sure if the away goal rule serves any purpose, it was encouraged to make the away team a bit more adventurous, but now its causing to much fear, which is resulting in negative and poor games for the fans to watch.

thoughts please.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do have a point.

Especially in the CL teams are very wary of not conceding at home and do not come out and attack teams.

Although it has worked very well for us this year ;)

I'd like to see it scrapped (next season :P) ... even for a season in the uefa cup... would make the uefa cup more exciting to watch when your team isn't in it.

Champs league can say the way it is, and use uefa as a testing ground.

I see your point Minstral and agree it makes for less attacking games.

At this moment in time and for the foreseeable future it suits Rangers. Until we are on a level playing field financially with the "bigger" clubs in europe we will not be able to afford attacking players with flair and class that allow you to be a more balanced team.

I guess that makes for the league part of the CL a more exciting game to watch in terms of attacking football than a knockout game. I guess you could argue that the knockout games are more exciting also.

It's a good point though Minstral (tu)

Without the away goals rule, we would not have had Barca 72.

Don't knock it.

danny a lot has changed since then, in they days teams would have a go but now its killing the game with both teams scared to concede at home.

Don't knock it.

danny a lot has changed since then, in they days teams would have a go but now its killing the game with both teams scared to concede at home.

Suppose you've got a point.

Thing is though, if it works in your favour it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Without it we might not have beaten Panathinaikos.

Don't knock it.

I think another thing that has changed is teams are much more confident of getting a result/score abroad so they don't see a 0-0 as such a bad result at home as used to be the case. Good point.

Don't knock it.

Thing is though, if it works in your favour it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Without it we might not have beaten Panathinaikos.

I agree in a way, but, it is favouring us this season, plus, its not the reason that football is the way it is now, the reason is money. You can see that in the EPL, teams just dont want lose and drop from the money pot, same in Europe. Its all about the money

Don't knock it.

I agree in a way, but, it is favouring us this season, plus, its not the reason that football is the way it is now, the reason is money. You can see that in the EPL, teams just dont want lose and drop from the money pot, same in Europe. Its all about the money

Unfortunately it also cost us a place in the quarters of the CL.

I find it hard to believe we're condemning an away goals rule which has helped us quite a bit. In fact, you could say we've mastered it.

i only asked for views but still feel it has killed the game and to all young kids that watch the game they will get bored watching negitive football, and the kids are the future.

I find it hard to believe we're condemning an away goals rule which has helped us quite a bit. In fact, you could say we've mastered it.

i only asked for views but still feel it has killed the game and to all young kids that watch the game they will get bored watching negitive football, and the kids are the future.

Who sang that song?

We've won one tie this season on the away goals rule.

If the away goal rule was scrapped, they would be no point for us to get to the Knock out stages we don't have the quality to go and Attack teams!

AWAY GOAL RULE LOYAL :rangers:

I say again, we have qualified once on the away goals rule. We have beaten Red Star, Werder Bremen and Sporting Club on aggregate.

something which has always p*ssed me off about the away goals rule (although we could benefit next thursday) is how the away goals rule still counts in extra time which aint fair on the home team

why should the away team gain an advantage merely from the luck of the draw

like i said, we can benefit from this stupid rule next week but i seem to remember we got turfed out by sparta prague(?) at home a number of years ago because of it