Who is most skillful player ever at Rangers

paulrfc

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

marvin andrews :lol:

think actually choosing between the 3 is too difficult lets just raise a glass to three very very talented players, :beer2:

4 if you include super marv :D

Posting like a bastard in this thread, but having watched the 1972 Final about 5 times now, Dave Smith was a cracking player as well.

Dead right about Dave Smith, he was a real talent and his praises don't get sung loud enough imho. For the original answer, it's a hard pick between Baxter, Coops, and Laudrup.

No Contest Paul Gascoigne :rangers:

You obviously never saw Baxter play.Believe me as gifted as Gascoigne was,he was never in the same class as the one and only Slim Jim.

For me the only other player that was in Baxter's class was Laudrup. (tu)

Slim Jim by a country mile. Gazza and Laudrup and Mols at his best and Cooper were all great but there was only ONE Jim Baxter. He was in the World 11 with Pele. Intimidated Celtic something awful and took England to the cleaners on more than one occasion.

No Contest Paul Gascoigne :rangers:

You obviously never saw Baxter play.Believe me as gifted as Gascoigne was,he was never in the same class as the one and only Slim Jim.

For me the only other player that was in Baxter's class was Laudrup. (tu)

Baxter was from a Different era of Football but a great player none the less. (tu)

Laudrup,Cooper and DeBoer were Different class, but Gazza had everything and the only player you could truly say was a Genius, and up there with the Modern greats of the footballing world.

Met big Amo on a golf course one day with some others and i asked who was the most skillful player he had seen.

He reckons Amato was the most skillful player he had ever seen let alone played with.

Always rated him very highly. Didnt think he got the credit he deserved

Posting like a bastard in this thread, but having watched the 1972 Final about 5 times now, Dave Smith was a cracking player as well.

Dead right about Dave Smith, he was a real talent and his praises don't get sung loud enough imho. For the original answer, it's a hard pick between Baxter, Coops, and Laudrup.

He just had something different for me.

A very cultured player, but not one we hear loads about.

No doubt 'cause he is (I believe) originally an Aberdonian. ;)

No doubt 'cause he is (I believe) originally an Aberdonian. ;)

Indeed he was. Signed straight from the Sheep for £50,000 in 1966.

A topic like this is very dependant on when you were born.

It is very similar to the perenial Pele-vs-Maradona, it depends on when you watched your football.

For me, it is Gascoine.

Is this in living memory or ever?

If the latter, I would like to throw in the name of Neilly Gibson some people might recognise the name, while others might just be exposed to this great Ranger today. Either way it'll be good to help keep his name and talents alive in the minds of Rangers fans.

Obviously I never witnessed him play so I cannot confirm his class however here are quotes from his time describing his talents:-

"The greatest half-back of victorian times" I.Sharpe (Leading football critic of his day)

"The greatest of my, and any generation following, in Scottish football" W.McCartney (Hibs Manager)

"The greatest footballer I ever saw" S.Bloomer (Derby & England)

"The greatest half-back I ever saw or played against - Most wing-halfs tried to pattern their play on his but none of them remotely hoped to emulate him" J.Dickson (Hearts Scottish Cup winning wing-half 1906)

"Pavlova in football boots" H.Wood (Sheff. Utd)

Played for us from 1894 until 1904 (Leaving to join the Jags),

He won the league 4 times in a row, 2 Scottish Cups, 5 Glasgow Cups, 2 Glasgow league medals, 2 Glasgow Charity Cups, 1 Glasgow exhibition medal. 16 Scottish Caps, 11 Scottish League selections and 2 caps for Glasgow against Sheffield.

Heres a quote from the Rangers book:-

"Gibson could pass the ball with stunning accuracy. But what really endeared him to the crowd was his ball control, which he had perfected to a degree which made many of his performances border on arrogance. The obvious comparision would be Jim Baxter, many generation on, in the 1960's.

In spite of the heavy leather ball and boots of the time, Gibson could juggle the ball for 20 minutes or more with a succession of flicks, back-heels and headers, and it was said he could do the same thing with other objects such as blocks of wood, tincans and the like."

He also had three sons who all played pro football.

Willie Gibson won an FA Cup with Newcastle.

Neil Gibson Jnr played for Clyde for 11 years (1923-34)

Jimmy Gibson was a Scottish Internationalist and a member of the Wembley Wizards of '28, he also became the most expensive player of his time when Villa paid £7,500 to Partick for him in 1927.

He may not be the greatest but his name should should definetly be included in any discussion involving the subject ;)

:unionflag: