***The Official Rangers v Hamilton Thread***

Muff

It's back to a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation for me. I don't know if Davis(should he be ready to return following the sad news of his mother) and Miller will be back but I have included them. If McGregor is injured then Alexander replaces him.

My team would be:

_____________________________McGregor___________________________

____________________Broadfoot________Bougherra___________________

McMillan____________________________________________________Papac

______________________________Edu_______________________________

_______________________Davis________Mendes______________________

____Novo______________________Miller___________________Beasley____

Alexander

Weir

Fleck

Aaron

Burke

Lafferty

Darcheville

Although Walter Smith's team will be nothing like this. I reckon the team he puts out will manage to scrape a win.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should line up

____________________McGregor___________________

Broadfoot_____Bougherra_____Weir__________Papac

Davis__________Edu_________Mendes________Beasley

_______________Boyd/Novo____Miller______________

However I don't think he'll line up, but whatever the squad I think we will win.

----------------Mcgregor--------------

Whittaker--McCulloch--Bougherra--Papac

-------------------Edu--------------------

--Davis--------Mendes-----------Aaron

-------------Boyd------ Miller----

is what id play if possible however I think lafferty will be on one of the wings

Ive actually thought for a couple of weeks now Aaron could be involved for the 1st time here

I think we should line up

____________________McGregor___________________

Broadfoot_____Bougherra_____Weir__________Papac

Davis__________Edu_________Mendes________Beasley

_______________Boyd/Novo____Miller______________

However I don't think he'll line up, but whatever the squad I think we will win.

It wont matter what we think . period

McGregor

Broadfoot Weir Bougherra Papac

Davis Mendes Edu Aaron

Boyd Miller

I don't know if McGregor is fit to play, or if Davis is up for it after the passing of his Mother, but that would be my team ideally.

Aaron should play, he's much better than Lafferty on the wing and especially that waster Darcheville.

Adam has been shite for 3 games or so now, but he's stuck by him. Beasley, although long-term is probably our best option there, seems very low on confidence just now and hasn't put in a decent display in god knows how long. Lafferty has been tried there and it hasn't worked. McCulloch is shite. Novo isn't a winger.

Does he really need any more reasons? I've never seen Aaron play, but he must be better than the dross we're watching every week.

We're at home to possibly the weakest team in the league, therefore we won't play 4-5-1. Also, Ferguson will play.

------------------McGregor---------------

Broadfoot---Bougherra---Weir---Papac

Davis---Mendes----Ferguson---Beasley

-----------Boyd------------Miller----------

Alexander

McCulloch

Burke

Aaron/Adam

McMillan

Fleck

Loy

I'd prefer to see Burke wide right with Davis in the middle, but Walter will probably go with the above.

This game couldn't come at a better time IMO, as we could do with rattling a few goals past someone to get us back on track. However, I sincerely hope we don't hammer them by 5 or 6 then come out in the next game expecting to waltz through it, as we seemed to against Hearts.

I can't see your logic in dropping Boyd for a home tie against weak opposition, Muff. These are the kind of games where he will score 1 or 2 goals without fail. Playing Miller as the central striker is asking for trouble as he will drift into the channels and back to midfield to create chances only for there to be no-one to finish them.

This is not a time for changing the formation, just stick to 4-4-2, get your strongest team on the pitch and win the game. Messing around with formations is only going to aggravate things further.

I can't see your logic in dropping Boyd for a home tie against weak opposition, Muff. These are the kind of games where he will score 1 or 2 goals without fail. Playing Miller as the central striker is asking for trouble as he will drift into the channels and back to midfield to create chances only for there to be no-one to finish them.

This is not a time for changing the formation, just stick to 4-4-2, get your strongest team on the pitch and win the game. Messing around with formations is only going to aggravate things further.

(tu)

I reckon Boyd should be dropped as a sort of wake up call. To show that he's not always going to be guaranteed a starting place if his levels drop. I just don't think he's played well in the last few matches.

The 4-4-2 is not working, especially with the personnel Smith is playing - Ferguson won't be dropped but he should be. If we continue to play with Ferguson and Mendes then team will struggle.

I see that as almost a 4-1-5 at times with the knowledge that Edu is sitting in midfield and Mendes, Davis and Novo can get back should Hamilton hit us on the counter. I also reckon we could score plenty goals, Davis has shown that he can chip in with a few and Miller and Novo would get plenty of chances.

----------------Alexander--------------

Whittaker--Weir----Bougherra--Papac

-------------------Edu--------------------

--Davis--------Mendes-----------Aaron

-------------Boyd------ Miller-----------

Would be great to see. Zero chance of Ferguson not playing, though. Walter will play:

--------------------McGregor-------------------

Whittaker--McCulloch----Bougherra----Papac

--Davis-----Ferguson---Mendes--------Lafferty

-------------Boyd------ Miller-------------------

With Burke in for Davis if Davis isn't up to playing :(

----------------McGregor---------------

Whittaker---Bougherra---Weir---Papac

Davis---Mendes----Edu---Beasley

Novo for impact sub . Hopefully Davis is available . This could be the ideal game to give Ferguson a rest as he clearly is not ready yet , plus it's a good opportunity to test out Edu

I reckon Boyd should be dropped as a sort of wake up call. To show that he's not always going to be guaranteed a starting place if his levels drop. I just don't think he's played well in the last few matches.

The 4-4-2 is not working, especially with the personnel Smith is playing - Ferguson won't be dropped but he should be. If we continue to play with Ferguson and Mendes then team will struggle.

I see that as almost a 4-1-5 at times with the knowledge that Edu is sitting in midfield and Mendes, Davis and Novo can get back should Hamilton hit us on the counter. I also reckon we could score plenty goals, Davis has shown that he can chip in with a few and Miller and Novo would get plenty of chances.

I understand your reasoning, but surely Novo has shown in the past he's not worthy of a starting position on the wing? Also, I'd be more tempted to rest Boyd, for the same reasons as you, against sellick or the Arabs.

----------------McGregor---------------

Whittaker---Bougherra---Weir---Papac

Davis---Mendes----Edu---Beasley

Novo for impact sub . Hopefully Davis is available . This could be the ideal game to give Ferguson a rest as he clearly is not ready yet , plus it's a good opportunity to test out Edu

Why drop Broadfoot, one of the few players who played half-decent against Hearts, in favour of Whittaker who was complete mince? <cr>

He had absolutely no service on Saturday

Any goalscorer in the world would look poor in a side which managed to muster 1 shot on target in 90 minutes

I disagree with regards to Boyd, he impressed me against Aberdeen and Kilmarnock as his hold-up play was so much better than it has been previousliy this season. He also scored a couple of goals to boot. Yes he was poor against Hearts, but i fail to see how a striker can impress with the ball humped up to him all game against two tall, physical centre-halfs willing to pull and push you to gain the advantage.

At Ibrox this season Boyd and Miller playing together has served us well going forward. They are linking well and creating plenty of chances for each other and the players around them. I don't believe we should let our terrible away form impact on how we play at home, because generally our home and away performances are worlds apart.

Novo would at least offer more than the likes of Lafferty and I want to see Davis in his proper position. Burke is a no, no for me.

I'd just rest Boyd every week tbh - an average centre forward who struggles against decent opposition, doesn't know the offside rule and seems to have gone back to his usual self. Although it doesn't help when the ball is launched up to him but his ball retention and distribution is awful and the amount of times he commits a foul or falls on his arse is truely woeful. It would be interesting to see his percentage of possession given away. I'd also drop him for that embarrassing celebration on Saturday :D