No real sense of reality?

outlaw69uk

I posted part of this elsewhere, but, the more I thought about it, the more I had to say on the matter, and, it appeared to be larger than I first imagined, so....

As a regular posting support, "we" appear to have a number of issues, with, Murray (whats new), the manager, the coaching staff, and, well, most of the playing staff, and, each other! (Thats not even getting started on the external factors causing friction), so, this wee thread is to address my takes on some of this, hopefully with some kind of balance, and, rational behind it, and, perhaps restore a little bit of context as to where we are.

Where to start? How about at the top?

Murray

We all know he came in, made great changes, brought us success, and, ultimately, his time has passed, which is something the man admits himself. For me, there really isnt much to say on the matter, or the man. He did alot of good, and, a lot of not so good, ultimately, during his tenure, we have been very successful, and, its not actually a surprise that now heis looking to move on, we arent doing as well, purely based on "if your heart isnt in it, you wont do the best job you could". One problem is, perhaps those who do not like s, know this, and, know he isnt up for the fight any longer, and that is why we are on the receiving end lately. Unfortunately, for him, and us, changing owner is not as easy as changing a manager or player, so, he is stuck with us, just as much as we are with him at the moment. Sometimes I dont think people realise that, or understand that. We deride the man for financial mis-management (semi justified in my opinion), yet, deride him for not throwing too much money at managers recently? Surely we cant have both? Unless we made revenues such as EPL clubs, we cant, its asking for trouble, and non-sustainable and, we would be back to complaining about debt, mis-management etc.

Smith

Where to start on this one? And where to end? The man is a Rangers legend, and highly regarded in football, not just in our small country, he was the one major consistant part of NIAR (along with Murray), and responsible for us seeing some fantastic footballers grace us with their wearing of the blue shirt. He helped turn the national team from a joke to a contender (which Burley has managed to reverse in almost equally spectacular fashion), and, came back to Rangers in, pretty much our hour of need, and again, gave us reasons to be cheerful, and, restore a bit of pride in the team, albeit not in the more tasteful way that was done previously, and, with less success than before, but, still some memorable moments. I hear that, "he isnt the manager to take us to the next level", and, I wholeheartedly disagree, and here is the reason. We are 2nd best in Scotland (unacceptable to me), so, in contect, the "next level" is to be first, no? WIN the title back, period. Smith is a manager, in fact, out of the current candidates anywhere, THE manager who has a history of WINNING the SPL. I dont see anyone else with that kind of pedigree available. I think some people are confused, and see the "next level" as some kind of Euro force, well, thats not the case, thats the level afterwards, and, I would tend to agree that Smith is not the man to do that, but, we are not the club to do that yet. I would imagine Smith knows this as well. The genuine lack of respect for the man, by bears, astounds me, and also saddens me. You can want another manager, but, perhaps conduct ourselves with a little dignity?

McCoist

Well, this follows on nicely I think, seeing as McCoist is apparently being groomed to succeed Smith, much to the astounding disgust of many on here. I dont understand why, being honest. Well, I can see the views, and why they are given, but, I believe they are tainted, mainlyby the lack of success we are having at the moment, and also what people seem to think the requirements for a Rangers manager are (which I cant fathom given the names bandied about). Generally, the major, successful managers, have been successful at big clubs, in big leagues, with plenty of money (ironically, as was Smith in his first managers role). Souness, Mourinho, Van Basten, Keegan, Rijkaard, Bilic (since hes a fav on here) and many other players were all "trusted" with a big club, or the national side, in their FIRST managerial role, and, lets be honest, havent done badly! In fact, some, like Souness, havent been as successful afterwards. I think there is merit to the argument that some people "fit" some clubs perfectly, and I believe McCoist fits us, if you think of McCoist, you think Rangers.

Another thing all these managers and their first roles have in common, is they ALL want to make their mark as a manager, have something to prove, their own ideas, their own style, and, doing it at a club they love. McCoist would be in the same boat. People have tainted views on him because of the current situation. Arguably, he has technically won more trophies than Smith since they came back (no it wast pretty, but it happened), and, there is absolutely nothing to suggest, far less prove that he is not up to the job, we just dont know.

Players

Again, some players linked to us are scoffed at with "these types of players wont take us to the next level" or similar, even though the best Rangers sides were predominantly Scottish, how did that work? And, in relation to this "next level", as above at this present time, is winning the SPL, and given that, perhaps the "pish" that we get linked to, prevent us from doing that, might, just MIGHT be a bit better than some of those in the side at the minute, which then means adding them to the team takes us to the level that we should be at, first! The only area of the team that is fine, is Centre mid and GK.

A small constructive example!

Have a think, Berra or McCulloch at CB? which is the better option? (also remembering "players in their proper position"). Before we bring up McMillan (again, he would be SPL reserve pish), then, maybe Jordan should be brought in at RB, and, Broadfoot moved to CB (his natural position), even as backup. All of a sudden, thats a back 4 with players in proper positions, plus, if Stevie Smith can come back, or the lad Wylde progresses as it looks, you get this

McMillan, Magic, Berra, Smith/Wylde

instead off

Kirk, Magic, Weir, Papac

Both youth, and, players in natural position. (I think Davy Weir is pretty much done, and if not, is for sure in the next few months, so, needs replacing, do you want Lee?) with some experience, and, if I am not mistaken, some pace in the FB areas, something we REALLY lack at the moment

Driver is a left winger right? and, theres another position we havent got, and, better than Adam?

Steven Fletcher > JCD, scores more than Miller, moves better than Boyd, perhaps, a more composed Novo?.

This an be done for most of the SPL prospects, and, if you actually compare them man for man, with the player in their position in the current Rangers squad, it actually DOES improve us, a bit sad really.

To Conclude

A GREAT man once said the fllowing, and, we should all remember this, especially the part in bold, because, that is where we are at the moment, and, we are acting in a manner completely opposite to his description of a Rangers fan.

"Our very success, gained you will agree by skill, will draw more people than ever to see it. And that will benefit many more clubs than Rangers. Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase. It is healthy for us. We will never hide from it. Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers."

Thanks for reading

JJ

Smith - Would have been a legend if he didnt come back for the 2nd spell. Smith like SDM should not be judged on what they done 10-15 years ago, they should be judged on what they have done in the last year or 2.

In his 2nd spell he has blown millions on dross, he continues to play players in wrong positions and continues to overlook youth. He has favourites within the squad and is so stubborn

His tactics are pathetic and does not have a plan B. He is so predictable and negative, team like Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hibernian and Hearts have decided to attack us and exploit our weaknesses (and we have a lot of those)

He signs players at the wrong end of their career (Weir, Dailly, JCD etc)

He signs players that the fans dont want (McCulloch, Miller, Broadfoot etc)

and never addresses the problems we have in the team. (rb, lb, cb, lm, rm, cf)

He loads up with journeymen to bolster the squad and he continues to sign central players and try and adapt them into fullbacks and wingers. Increasing the debt in the process. We have a squad of 28 and he will only play 15-16 of them.

What he done in his last spell as Manager SHOULD NOT be taking into consideration. Football is a result driven business. He got away with the dross we were playing last year as we were scraping results. Now that the results have changed, we are left with dross football, poor tactics, favourites getting played and no consistency.

What if he never wins the league again? Should we allow Celtic to get 9,10,11 in a row because of his past achievements?

Walter is running our club into the ground, the sooner he and SDM leave, the sooner we can start to move on as a football club.

I see where you are coming from, but, does that mean we dismiss any other legends for things they have done afterwards? Bear in mind also, we havent lost the league this season

Near did PLG with that logic, but he got booted out the door :pipe:

We can Sugarcoat it all we want but we are going downhill fast (td)

Not really doing that mate, more an observation on the fact we arent behaving in a very bear like manner

Plus, i think the murray thing sums up good reasons why we are like that, plus, we seem to have no sense of where we actually stand at the moment, which is understandable given how distasteful it is

Very interesting post and much material for debate Outlaw.

The Smith situation is particularly interesting. He was brought in to replace a manager with a superb European pedigree who had made a mess of things. Le Guen's death knell amongst the support was the poverty of his signings and the fact the team did not appear to be improving.

But would we really argue that McCulloch...Broadfoot.... Whittaker...Davis...Mendes have been successful signings ?

The answer to that question will be at the end of the season - whether we are 1st or 2nd.

If we are 2nd then I dont see much difference between Smith's and Le Guen's situation. We were second best last season...if we are second best again after spending considerable money...then we have not improved.

The Smith situation is particularly interesting. He was brought in to replace a manager with a superb European pedigree who had made a mess of things. Le Guen's death knell amongst the support was the poverty of his signings and the fact the team did not appear to be improving.

But would we really argue that McCulloch...Broadfoot.... Whittaker...Davis...Mendes have been successful signings ?

The answer to that question will be at the end of the season - whether we are 1st or 2nd.

If we are 2nd then I dont see much difference between Smith's and Le Guen's situation. We were second best last season...if we are second best again after spending considerable money...then we have not improved.

Except Walter's had £30m to build a team. (tu)

Smith - Would have been a legend if he didnt come back for the 2nd spell. Smith like SDM should not be judged on what they done 10-15 years ago, they should be judged on what they have done in the last year or 2.

In his 2nd spell he has blown millions on dross, he continues to play players in wrong positions and continues to overlook youth. He has favourites within the squad and is so stubborn

His tactics are pathetic and does not have a plan B. He is so predictable and negative, team like Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hibernian and Hearts have decided to attack us and exploit our weaknesses (and we have a lot of those)

He loads up with journeymen to bolster the squad and he continues to sign central players and try and adapt them into fullbacks and wingers. Increasing the debt in the process. We have a squad of 28 and he will only play 15-16 of them.

What he done in his last spell as Manager SHOULD NOT be taking into consideration. Football is a result driven business. He got away with the dross we were playing last year as we were scraping results. Now that the results have changed, we are left with dross football, poor tactics, favourites getting played and no consistency.

What if he never wins the league again? Should we allow Celtic to get 9,10,11 in a row because of his past achievements?

Walter is running our club into the ground, the sooner he and SDM leave, the sooner we can start to move on as a football club.

The truth hurts. But you are absolutely correct mate. (tu)

The longer Walter stays the worse our predicament is going to get.

I respect your sentiments Outlaw but unfortunately i can see only negatives at the present time. There is nothing about our club at this moment that fills me with a sense of excitement. :(

Very true indeed

The truth hurts. But you are absolutely correct mate. (tu)

The longer Walter stays the worse our predicament is going to get.

I respect your sentiments Outlaw but unfortunately i can see only negatives at the present time. There is nothing about our club at this moment that fills me with a sense of excitement. :(

Hmm? On the positive, there will be a change soon, so, thats the light perhaps? or, the 80s were worse (for those who remember, for those who dont, ask an older bear, seriously!)

I can also understand why people have that outlook, and, also share some of it, however, for me, that isnt how we should carry ourselves. At the moment, are we really any better than our neighbours who wanted rid of chesney from the moment he arrived? I remember we looked down on them, and, discussed how we would not treat a manager like that. Its an embarrassing thing to consider, but, I feel we are perhaps losing some of our dignity as a support at times.

Behaviour unbecoming a bear

I actually believe that Smith will move on at the end of the season, regardless of first or second, and, I am sure he, like us, would prefer 1st. His job IS done, the ship is steady, however, not steady where we would like it, steady in second place. Also, I have had a few thouhts on this, and, we may not like it, but, there is a positive to the lieks of Adam, McCulloch etc constantly being in the squad, and, its something we havent had in long time, continuity! We need it. Do we need a better standard? of course we do, I wouldnt argue that, but, as has been mentioned, we rebuild each season, seemingly for a few years, so, its another aspect of the steadyness. Looking at it rationally, we tried the youth and everything else with Le Guen, and, it really didnt work, but, I also think, too far the other way now, we need to find a middle ground as a club, and also as a support. Its not great, but, its not as completely terrible as is made out at times.

I know i may be one of few, but, I have a gut feeling many may be surprised at how well McCoist does if he takes over, no real reasoning, just a feeling.

Hmm? On the positive, there will be a change soon, so, thats the light perhaps? or, the 80s were worse (for those who remember, for those who dont, ask an older bear, seriously!)

Yes it was bleak, but this era is not far off it. Lets not forget our greatest Rivals weren't running away with the league for 4inarow!

From 1980 to 89

Aberdeen 2

Celtic 4

Dundee Utd 1

Rangers 2

This era from 2000 to present

Celtic 6

Rangers 2

I know BD, then again, its almost worse that it wasnt them, since, it was lesser teams!

But they weren't lesser teams at the time, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were holding there own in the league and in Europe.

It's worse now i say, when THEY get league title after league title :mad:

Yes it was bleak, but this era is not far off it. Lets not forget our greatest Rivals weren't running away with the league for 4inarow!

From 1980 to 89

Aberdeen 2

Celtic 4

Dundee Utd 1

Rangers 2

This era from 2000 to present

Celtic 6

Rangers 2

In the 80's there was competition for the league.

Celtic werent running away with it every year and although we were finishing 2nd and below.

In the 80's we didnt spend £30 million more than Aberdeen and Dundee utd over 2 years.

even in celtics nine in a row we had some decent teams, we reached a european cup winners final and won another one. i would say the rangers team at the moment is one of the worst i have seen, and last season was one of the most boring to watch.

even in celtics nine in a row we had some decent teams, we reached a european cup winners final and won another one. i would say the rangers team at the moment is one of the worst i have seen, and last season was one of the most boring to watch.

Cant ague with that at all mate

I see where you are coming from, but, does that mean we dismiss any other legends for things they have done afterwards? Bear in mind also, we havent lost the league this season

Near did PLG with that logic, but he got booted out the door :pipe:

We can Sugarcoat it all we want but we are going downhill fast (td)

i agree :clap:

I posted part of this elsewhere, but, the more I thought about it, the more I had to say on the matter, and, it appeared to be larger than I first imagined, so....

As a regular posting support, "we" appear to have a number of issues, with, Murray (whats new), the manager, the coaching staff, and, well, most of the playing staff, and, each other! (Thats not even getting started on the external factors causing friction), so, this wee thread is to address my takes on some of this, hopefully with some kind of balance, and, rational behind it, and, perhaps restore a little bit of context as to where we are.

Where to start? How about at the top?

Murray

We all know he came in, made great changes, brought us success, and, ultimately, his time has passed, which is something the man admits himself. For me, there really isnt much to say on the matter, or the man. He did alot of good, and, a lot of not so good, ultimately, during his tenure, we have been very successful, and, its not actually a surprise that now heis looking to move on, we arent doing as well, purely based on "if your heart isnt in it, you wont do the best job you could". One problem is, perhaps those who do not like s, know this, and, know he isnt up for the fight any longer, and that is why we are on the receiving end lately. Unfortunately, for him, and us, changing owner is not as easy as changing a manager or player, so, he is stuck with us, just as much as we are with him at the moment. Sometimes I dont think people realise that, or understand that. We deride the man for financial mis-management (semi justified in my opinion), yet, deride him for not throwing too much money at managers recently? Surely we cant have both? Unless we made revenues such as EPL clubs, we cant, its asking for trouble, and non-sustainable and, we would be back to complaining about debt, mis-management etc.

Smith

Where to start on this one? And where to end? The man is a Rangers legend, and highly regarded in football, not just in our small country, he was the one major consistant part of NIAR (along with Murray), and responsible for us seeing some fantastic footballers grace us with their wearing of the blue shirt. He helped turn the national team from a joke to a contender (which Burley has managed to reverse in almost equally spectacular fashion), and, came back to Rangers in, pretty much our hour of need, and again, gave us reasons to be cheerful, and, restore a bit of pride in the team, albeit not in the more tasteful way that was done previously, and, with less success than before, but, still some memorable moments. I hear that, "he isnt the manager to take us to the next level", and, I wholeheartedly disagree, and here is the reason. We are 2nd best in Scotland (unacceptable to me), so, in contect, the "next level" is to be first, no? WIN the title back, period. Smith is a manager, in fact, out of the current candidates anywhere, THE manager who has a history of WINNING the SPL. I dont see anyone else with that kind of pedigree available. I think some people are confused, and see the "next level" as some kind of Euro force, well, thats not the case, thats the level afterwards, and, I would tend to agree that Smith is not the man to do that, but, we are not the club to do that yet. I would imagine Smith knows this as well. The genuine lack of respect for the man, by bears, astounds me, and also saddens me. You can want another manager, but, perhaps conduct ourselves with a little dignity?

McCoist

Well, this follows on nicely I think, seeing as McCoist is apparently being groomed to succeed Smith, much to the astounding disgust of many on here. I dont understand why, being honest. Well, I can see the views, and why they are given, but, I believe they are tainted, mainlyby the lack of success we are having at the moment, and also what people seem to think the requirements for a Rangers manager are (which I cant fathom given the names bandied about). Generally, the major, successful managers, have been successful at big clubs, in big leagues, with plenty of money (ironically, as was Smith in his first managers role). Souness, Mourinho, Van Basten, Keegan, Rijkaard, Bilic (since hes a fav on here) and many other players were all "trusted" with a big club, or the national side, in their FIRST managerial role, and, lets be honest, havent done badly! In fact, some, like Souness, havent been as successful afterwards. I think there is merit to the argument that some people "fit" some clubs perfectly, and I believe McCoist fits us, if you think of McCoist, you think Rangers.

Another thing all these managers and their first roles have in common, is they ALL want to make their mark as a manager, have something to prove, their own ideas, their own style, and, doing it at a club they love. McCoist would be in the same boat. People have tainted views on him because of the current situation. Arguably, he has technically won more trophies than Smith since they came back (no it wast pretty, but it happened), and, there is absolutely nothing to suggest, far less prove that he is not up to the job, we just dont know.

Players

Again, some players linked to us are scoffed at with "these types of players wont take us to the next level" or similar, even though the best Rangers sides were predominantly Scottish, how did that work? And, in relation to this "next level", as above at this present time, is winning the SPL, and given that, perhaps the "pish" that we get linked to, prevent us from doing that, might, just MIGHT be a bit better than some of those in the side at the minute, which then means adding them to the team takes us to the level that we should be at, first! The only area of the team that is fine, is Centre mid and GK.

A small constructive example!

Have a think, Berra or McCulloch at CB? which is the better option? (also remembering "players in their proper position"). Before we bring up McMillan (again, he would be SPL reserve pish), then, maybe Jordan should be brought in at RB, and, Broadfoot moved to CB (his natural position), even as backup. All of a sudden, thats a back 4 with players in proper positions, plus, if Stevie Smith can come back, or the lad Wylde progresses as it looks, you get this

McMillan, Magic, Berra, Smith/Wylde

instead off

Kirk, Magic, Weir, Papac

Both youth, and, players in natural position. (I think Davy Weir is pretty much done, and if not, is for sure in the next few months, so, needs replacing, do you want Lee?) with some experience, and, if I am not mistaken, some pace in the FB areas, something we REALLY lack at the moment

Driver is a left winger right? and, theres another position we havent got, and, better than Adam?

Steven Fletcher > JCD, scores more than Miller, moves better than Boyd, perhaps, a more composed Novo?.

This an be done for most of the SPL prospects, and, if you actually compare them man for man, with the player in their position in the current Rangers squad, it actually DOES improve us, a bit sad really.

To Conclude

A GREAT man once said the fllowing, and, we should all remember this, especially the part in bold, because, that is where we are at the moment, and, we are acting in a manner completely opposite to his description of a Rangers fan.

"Our very success, gained you will agree by skill, will draw more people than ever to see it. And that will benefit many more clubs than Rangers. Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase. It is healthy for us. We will never hide from it. Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity. No matter the days of anxiety that come our way, we shall emerge stronger because of the trials to be overcome. That has been the philosophy of the Rangers since the days of the gallant pioneers."

Thanks for reading

JJ

Excellent stuff outlaw. I can't disagree with any of it. (tu)

With respect, I think you're guilty of being selective in your choice of evidence.

This is harsh when you consider that the three of them cost a combined total of £0 in transfer fees, and the likes of naismith, lafferty, davis, edu, thomson, whittaker etc are hardly at the wrong end of their careers