I told him he may have 20 for the season,

:mutley: Mendes does have a wee point there !

Anyway thanks for all these goals Boydy keep it going

RANGERS Boyd tap-ins no match for my missiles says Mendes

Mendes celebrates the Pedro piledriver that set Rangers on the road to victory at Inverness

This 30-yard howitzer downed the Hoops

Mendes curled in this effort to kill off Jags

This Mendes missile opened the scoring at Caley

by Thomas Jordan

PEDRO MENDES concedes Kris Boyd is the undisputed goal king of Ibrox - but he's challenged the Rangers marksman to try and follow his lead by netting from outside the penalty area.

The Portuguese playmaker sent his side on course to a 3-0 victory away to Caley Thistle at the weekend with an outstanding curling long-range effort at the Caledonian Stadium.

Boyd then got in on the act by scoring with a typical finish from inside the box before grabbing his second of the game with a close-in header to further strengthen calls for a return to the Scotland set-up.

However, as much as Mendes appreciates Boyd's ability to find the back of the net with such consistency, the midfielder would love to see him try to prove him wrong by firing one in from the same range he has found the back of the net with.

Mendes's first goal in a Rangers jersey came in the opening Old Firm game of the season when a venomous strike from 30 yards out left Celtic keeper Artur Boruc with no chance.

His second was a stunning effort with the outside of his boot against Partick Thistle at Firhill in the League Cup and Sunday's stormer against Caley Thistle was further proof that Mendes is the man for special goals at Rangers.

And he smiled: "That's three goals for the season and they have all been ones that I've been happy with.

"It was a great move in the lead-up to the goal and you can always tell when you have caught them well.

"I was having a joke with Boydy after the game. I told him he may have 20 for the season, but they are all from six yards!

"I have been a bit annoyed at some of my efforts recently when I feel I should have been hitting the target more - getting goals from the midfield is crucial and I always like to try."

Mendes, however, is a big fan of Boyd and admits without his goals Rangers wouldn't be challenging for the title.

He added: "I like to have a joke with Kris, but in all seriousness he is a top-class finisher.

"To have 20 goals so far is excellent and he is very dangerous. If you make chances for him then he will normally score.

"He is going to be important for us as we need to win every game, so you need the strikers to be in that kind of form.

"We could see last weekend he was disappointed not to score against Celtic, but he came back with two goals and he's in great form."

Rangers were making hard work of it up until Mendes broke the deadlock just seconds into the second half.

And he said: "It was important for us to get that breakthrough so quickly after the re-start as we had been struggling a bit in the game and we wanted to make a major impact in the second half.

"The first period up there was maybe an indication of why we have dropped silly points away from home in the first half of the season. We were a bit slow to make chances and you can't afford to do that.

"The away games are tough, we need to be right on our game from the start and try to get the goals that can make things easier."

Mendes shoots down suggestions Rangers were boosted by news that Celtic had dropped two points the day before because they were more focused on making sure they take care of their own games.

"We didn't really think about the Celtic result when it came through.

"It's not for us to really be looking at other scorelines that we can't control," he said.

"Because of the points we have dropped we have created a tough situation where we need to win every game if we want to catch up and win the title - but we all believe we will do that.

"It's been frustrating. I don't think that there have been any teams playing better stuff than us in the league this season, dominating our games against us or anything like that.

"We have just made some mistakes from set-pieces and lost goals. That is something we need to sort out and we are working hard to do that.

"We are not down, although maybe some people seem to think we are after losing the Celtic match.

"There wasn't much in it, but we lost and we went seven behind which wasn't great.

"Of course we would rather be leading, but we have managed to cut the gap after one game and we just need to focus on what Rangers do and make sure we keep the pressure on.

"There are still two Old Firm games to go as well, so nothing has been decided."

Evening Times

boyd is a striker and a penalty box player

so of course his goals are gonna come from short range

mendes is in midfield so his goals are gonna come from outside the box

long may they both continue to score

we arra people

Only in Scottish journalism could an article be made out of a post match tounge-in-cheek joke.

haha very true

At the same time, nice to see the banter between players apparently in different "cliques" according to some, or, maybe the whole team get on? Wow, that would be a revelation

Only in Scottish journalism could an article be made out of a post match tounge-in-cheek joke.

bit of a farce really. just shows anything that a player says will be used in the media.

nice wee joking about fae mendes though, he's a diamond like

haha very true

At the same time, nice to see the banter between players apparently in different "cliques" according to some, or, maybe the whole team get on? Wow, that would be a revelation

Don't get me wrong, i'm 90% certain that there is a 'clique' inside Ibrox.

However, like Novo and in the past, Prso, i think Mendes is the type of lad who would be a popular figure in any dressing room.

He scored a screamer in a League Cup match at dunfermline a couple of years back.

That was the first night I moved down to Glasgow, remember that goal well, that was a stunner! At Partick he scored a beauty, QotS was a beauty. He ain't doing too bad.

Dundee UTD at Tannadice, outside the box

V killie as well outside the box.

v Dumfermline a couple of seasons back

v... oh fuck I give up he has scored plenty from outside the box.

A guy on RR said Boyd had started 31 games v the current top 6 teams in the SPL in his Rangers career and averaged approx 0.8 goals per game. Not bad for a useless cunt that does nothing versus the bigger teams.